Introduction

by dontplaceliterature 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

Welcome. Fairly new here myself. I know what you mean about being curious and looking into things fully. That's what brought me here, and seeing the mis-application of quotes was the kicker for me too.

As an active witness, I also think that label like "r&f" are too broad of a brush stroke. However, what is great abiout this forum, and not the congregation, is that if you don't like something or disagree - you can state your case. Try doing that at the hall...right?

You are younger so you haven't had the chance maybe - but I have made some deep personal connections with worldly folks (in secret and before I was conscious.) It really caused some dissonance since they are supposed to be wicked and they are people I've known for years who care about me and love me unconditionally.

As a born in, I too have some great friendships - I can't give those up yet too. But someday a point of not turning back will be reached. I hope my problem is solved for me when this recently rumored WT collapse finally occurs.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Welcome DPL...I do hope this forum helps you to find peace as much as it has helped me....

and Welcome Me Myself & I....same thoughts for you too....

I cant defend the WTBS ... they have long ago abandoned mercy and love .....and I dont need to defend this forum and the love that's shown here so regularly....it will become evident to you as and when you need it, I'm sure. All the best to you both.

Loz x

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Atheism in one lesson:

You believe that there is ONE TRUE religion; that all the thousands of other religions are part of the world empire of FALSE RELIGION.

When you discover your ONE TRUE religion is a pack of lies, what are you left with?

As Grace Slick said,

"When the truth is found

to be lies

and all the hope

within you dies,

DON'T YOU WANT SOMEBODY TO LOVE?"

• Farkel
    Farkel

Red Piller,

:But someday a point of not turning back will be reached. I hope my problem is solved for me when this recently rumored WT collapse finally occurs.

Hope? JWs live on "hope." "Hope" that someone ELSE will solve your problems?

"He who lives on hope will die fasting" - Benjamin Franklin

Stay in the Watchtower Corporation. Cowards who want others to fight their fights do not deserve real freedom.

I'm not saying this with malice, because I DO care about you. I'm saying this because you need a wake up call and YOU need to take control of your life instead of spending it letting others decide which direction it will take.

Farkel

• watson
    watson

Well....meet Farkel!

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

Dontplaceliterature - You are an apostate. You have already defined yourself as an apostate when you indicated a problem with any of it's teachings, much less major teachings. You have apparently been apostate for quite some time. You can be, and will be disfellowshipped in a country minute if you voice those opinions publicly.

Welcome to the forum.

• yesidid
    yesidid
    Stay in the Watchtower Corporation. Cowards who want others to fight their fights do not deserve real freedom.

Oozing charm from every pore,

Farkel's kind welcome at our heartstrings tore.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Sleepingbeauty, that is very interesting post you made. It deserves its own thread.

• familycomesfirst4
    familycomesfirst4

Welcome, dontplaceliterature.

I, too, can see the negative implications "Rank and File" has from an 'outside perspective'. But the WT organization has used this term for decades. A simple search of 'rank and file' in your watchtower library CD will load up numerous examples. I've listed a few below.

The WTBS has used it when referencing other denominations:

W94 8/15: ‘Here come the Pentecostals (or Baptists) again!’ No. People know that such religions do not have whole families performing a house-to-house ministry. Perhaps some religious groups send some "missionaries" for a two-year stint into certain areas, but their rank-and-file members do not participate in any such ministry. Only Jehovah’s Witnesses are recognized worldwide for their zeal in communicating their message to others on every suitable occasion. And they are known for their magazines, TheWatchtower and Awake!

g86 6/8: But the Second Vatican Council changed things. The Roman Catholic Church underwent an aggiornamento, or updating, that opened the way for unprecedented heart-searchings among Catholics. Vatican II gave the green light for the publishing of additional "suitable and correct translations" of the Bible, and it instructed Catholic bishops "to give the faithful entrusted to them suitable instruction in the right use of the divine books." Thus, rank-and-file Catholics can at present obtain Bibles, read them, and compare what they read with what they have been taught.

And they've used it to refer to their own. Here's one from the W86 9/1:

Yes, it is the performer who enjoys the limelight. But when the show is over, notice the long list of credits on the screen—orchestra, conductor, sound technicians, cameramen, directors, producers, makeup artists, and many, many others. All are necessary to make the performance a success. All are supportive. A similar situation exists in the Christian congregation. Some individuals are used quite prominently, but others play rather inconspicuous roles as rank-and-file publishers of the Kingdom message. Should these ones feel, however, that they are somehow less important because they are not in the limelight? Should they be unduly disturbed if they do not attain prominence?

Here's another from Dec. 15, 1971 Watchtower:

Is that visible earthly organization eager to do that grand work? Look! The appointed elders and overseers of the congregations are actively working in that behalf. The ministerial servants of the congregations are cooperating in that behalf. The rank and file of the congregations, the dedicated men and women and their children, are taking part in the work, both from house to house and publicly. The governing body over all these theocratic congregations is whole-souled behind this evangelizing work and is making every arrangement for getting the work done within the time divinely allowed. The "faithful and discreet slave" class of today has been appointed over all the Kingdom interests belonging to the Lord Jesus Christ, and, as a faithful steward of his interests, it serves out spiritual food through the evangelizing work

And one more from a Feb. 1, 1951 Watchtower:

Those taking the lead among them must set the example, and the others must imitate them. (1 Pet. 5:1-3) These leading ministers do not engage in carnal warfare, but preach. The rank and file of Jehovah’s witnesses, being also ministers of God, copy their faithful example and peacefully preach.
    I'm glad you've posted on here, and just wanted to clear up any misconceptions you might have harbored from this term. It can be used negatively or as a 'matter-of-fact'. But to lump it all in one class, and assume everyone on here is using it in a negative way, would mean more investigation is needed in the WTBS's literature.

I know this wasn't the main part of your post, but it did seem important to you.....in some part, at least.

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

Farkel! Hey words hurt, you know.....

No, seriously, I know you care. Nobody on this forum would post here if they didn't care.

So, yes, I was humming the "wouldn't it be nice" Beach Boys song. So what? I mean, wouldn't it be nice?

Either way, I'm not saying to be passive and wait around. I am saying that sometimes you need to take inventory and move carefully and with purpose to navigate out of these waters. I am doing just that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit