Introduction

by dontplaceliterature 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome. You are in the same place mentally that I was in my 20's. I strongly disagreed with disfellowshipping, questioned the sovereignty issue, but stayed out of fear of loosing friends. Sadly, it took me over 10 years to sort out my doubts.

One thing that had a large effect on me was coming to the understanding that JW's are not unique. If you want a group of loving, likeminded friends you can join almost any church. That is the main reason for religious groups. It is even more evident in smaller, high control groups, such as Mormons and SDA's.

In the end, I could not belong to something that teaches lies and untruths, and in the process let 19th century white American standards shape me and my life choices.

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

@only me....I don't really view "bastard" as a derogatory term in this instance. Look it up in the dictionary. Hey, it's in the King James Bible! :)

Keep the comments coming, guys. This is good stuff.

• blondie
    blondie

19th century white American MALE standards shape me and my life choices. (just a little adjustment)

• zoiks
    zoiks

Welcome, dontplaceliterature.

I'll second what LWT wrote - finish Crisis of Conscience. It will make a difference. In the meantime, I hope you stick around to ask questions and contribute as much as your situation allows.

• Cthulhu
    Cthulhu

Welcome,

Shortly before I left, within a year of it anyhow, my entire focus was on "the love," as this was about the only thing left to hang on to. After all, "all you need is love." But then I had a very, you may say, life changing thought. If I stuck around and played along, I would be supporting a number of things I didn't agree with and a few that I simply COULD NOT any longer advocate. For instance, the blood issue. Were I to stick around, going door-to-door and not even placing any literature, but just sharing generic encouraging thoughts from the Bible itself, I could still attract people who may one day be baptised and eventually allow their spouse or child(ren) to die over a ridiculous doctrine. What if I didn't go out in service at all, but still felt obligated to contribute to the worldwide work? That support could lead to the same outcome. What if I just went inactive and showed up at most meetings with a Bible and a smile? Seeing another "happy" person there might be just enough to keep someone else locked in. You see, I simply couldn't lend any support to an organization that has been responsible for the deaths of so many people. Debatable doctrine aside (Trinity, hellfire, 144,000, Paradise, etc.) this one IS of life and death importance.

As for reading material, were I to suggest anything, I would urge you to read Combatting Cult Mind Control by S. Hassan and 1984 by G. Orwell. Of all the things I read before exiting, 1984 hit me the hardest. In that book lies very powerful illustration which, irronically, is so highly recommended as a teaching tool among the Witnesses.

Again, welcome. I hope you find your time here interesting, informative, and enjoyable.

Cthulhu

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I've seen some crazy things too. But they are the exception, not the rule.

And that describes the entirety of humanity, not just the JWs. So the question has to be re-asked and pondered again: How are the JWs any more moral, kind, and loving than anyone else?

Experience says they're not.

Witnesses are sheltered within their own community and constantly told how wicked "Satan's world" is. It's a lie. People in the world are just like JWs. Some are scumbags. Others are wonderfully kind and loving.

I would reiterate the advice to keep on reading CoC, as well as all of jwfacts.com, freeminds.com, and Steve Hassan's "Combatting Cult Mind Control" and when you're finished with that, keep on reading whatever else you find of interest. Education is the enemy of the Watchtower.

In your initial post you asked to be proven wrong about this board being kind and loving (or something to that effect). A couple months ago one of the regular poster's computer died. Someone else who knows her posted a thread about it asking for help. In less than a day enough money was raised for a new computer.

You have to remember that this is an Internet message board with hundreds (thousands?) of participants from all over the world, all different backgrounds, all different ages. You're going to get diversity and with the connection to a mind-control cult like the WT you're going to get some lingering emotional issues such as resentment and anger. I'm constantly amazed that this board isn't a 24-7 bitch-fest and that there is as much civil conversation as there is.

That said, among all the various ex-JW boards on the Internet (this is just one of many), JWN is the most wild-west as far as tone goes, IMO. If you google and find some other boards, you may find them more focused, more Christian, more moderated, but you're not going to find one that's more fun.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

Welcome to JWN...

You sound like an interesting and knowledgable person, I look forward to reading more posts from you.

Amy.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Welcome to the board. Some of the more senior members have already made some great points and I don't really have anything to add from that standpoint.

I can tell you that I was in this for 26 years. I'm 32 now, my parnets were recruited in 1984. I pioneered for years, did temp work at Bethel, was a M. Servant for 12 years. My brother was a Bethelite for years. Now my entire family is OUT. I left about one year ago. As for my family, we have never been happier. Leaving this organization was like the first day of the rest of our lives.

Best of luck to you!

-mentallyfree31-

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

welcome! I had many of your same thoughts. It took me a few years to go from questions to 100% out. The love is what kept me in and the lack of love is what made me leave. It was an eye opener. Read and learn and keep that great open mindedness

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

I can tell you about the love on this board. I was scripturizing trying to prove people wrong etc. a year ago. I was an ass. I then read COC and came back and apologized and all was forgiven. The "evil" apostates on this board were nothing about how I was taught by the society. They are funny people and downright hilarious sometimes. I come here 5 times a day to continue research. I have been gone around 2 months now and the brothers that loved me have not come by to see me. Not once.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit