Elder wants to do "other activities" with me

by InterestedOne 59 Replies latest jw friends

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

I'm fully aware that this is a cult, and I was waiting for the social elements to kick in. So far, I have just been doing the "Bible study," discussing doctrine, etc. However, recently one of the elders said he wants to get together with me to do other activities. Can those of you more experienced with this group tell me what this means and what to look out for?

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Depends...

How old are you?

What is your sex?

Are you good looking?

Are you underage?

Be careful - very careful...

• Alfred
    Alfred

InterestedOne... He probably wants to assess your "spirituality" to see if you're ready to be a "publisher"... If the Circuit Overseer is visiting your congo soon, then this elder defintinely wants you to be a publisher (regardless of your spirutuality)... better publisher numbers means more glory for him.

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

"Other activities" could mean going out in service but you might ask him what he means.

Doubtful he meant anything "Spiritual."

• cantleave
    cantleave

Nothing too exciting - They want to assess whether you qualify to be an unbaptised publisher.

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Interested One, if you are fully aware it is a cult, (which it is)

what are you doing in?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Always question them for anything they say that seems the slightest bit out of order.

Then keep them honest, and on topic, and insist on an answer.

As far as I know, the phrase 'other activities' is not a JW pre-programmed modus operandi

• dysfunction
    dysfunction

Ha ha I will tell you exactly what it means, it means that now they are trying to help you draw ties and friendship to the people to the hall. They want you to feel like you belong, so before long you will be invited to "gatherings" yes I said it gatherings, not parties but little functions so that they will take the place of your "worldly friends", and you will have spritual friends as replacements. That is how they draw you in, and make you feel that they are interested in you, in and outside the hall.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

dysfunction nailed it. It is simply the next stage of the indoctrination process. They feel they are making progress in changing your thought processes, now they are taking it to the next level: changing your associates.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Tell him you'd like to have him join you in some "petty gambling solely for entertainment".

According to page 70 of the new Elder Book it's no longer a judicial matter.

om

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit