My Experiences

by Former 79 Replies latest jw experiences

• sd-7
    sd-7

Wow. Amazing stuff. Welcome. I'm excited to hear an insider's perspective on the new 'Faith in Action' DVD series. I have yet to watch the whole thing myself, and I felt a little weird watching even the beginning of it. It doesn't even seem to make sense to do this when the Proclaimers book isn't even 20 years old yet. I assumed the Governing Body had little respect for the reading comprehension of the rank-and-file and decide to dumb it down to video format. (Maybe not entirely an incorrect assumption, as even my own family seemed to know nothing about 1925...which was in the Proclaimers book.)

Your use of the term 'church' didn't make me bat an eye. It's like Steve Hassan wrote in his book about these issues--he wrote that when he uses the word 'moon' he thinks of the Unification Church. It's logical to substitute words to escape the 'loaded language' of the religion. I often do the same thing myself--I prefer to use 'expelled' rather than 'disfellowshipped', for example, because the latter term brings back so much emotional trauma for me. And 'church' is merely the term other Bible translations use for what the NWT calls the 'congregation'. It's hardly a big deal. Besides, I know I got tired of trying to correct people and say, "It's called a Kingdom Hall," even when I was still in.

As for your sister, that's horrible. I know personally the pain of having to end a friendship with someone who wasn't a JW because of what my mom wanted. It tugs at my heart strings to hear it being done like that. It's outrageous. You can't make stuff like that up, believe me. It's too hurtful.

The feeling of being trapped, cut off from the outside world--something I can somewhat grasp these days myself. I wish I could offer suggestions on that, but I'm in no position to do so.

You seem to have an interesting perspective. Anything you want to share here will certainly be welcomed, as far as I'm concerned. You've given me no reason to distrust you, I'm not sure what other folks here are getting at. I wish you the best in sorting things out with your life and especially your family.

--sd-7

• besty
    besty

welcome to jWN former - ignore the posters overly quick to call BS - its a very familiar smell for them ;-)

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Former, thanks for clearing it up and I do apologize for giving you an unwarm welcome. I do sincerely wish to hear more from you on your insights on Bethel.

<olive branch>

• bigmac
    bigmac

err can someone remind me where in any version of the bible it uses the word" kingdom hall"

• Former
    Former

bigmac, it doesn't concern me a bit what they call it, but you can find the scriptural precedent here:

At this God said to Moses: "You shall call it a church, and it shall prove to be a memorial to me to times indefinite." And later he added: "This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, 'On second thought, Kingdom Hall sounds way fancier.'" (2 Balonians 3:14, NWT)

• mochamint22
    mochamint22

Former,

Do you mind me asking: How does someone that's in a "higher" position say, MS, elder, Bethellite or whomever, go from doing all this activity to just walking away so immediately? I guess I just always thought that it was mostly like people getting DFd or are inactive for a while that just don't go back for various reasons. Is it something gradual within you leading up to it, or was it just something that was so offensive that you just walked away? I read your experience about how you had questions and doubts since your studies of the older books and so forth, but I'm just asking generally or anyone else that has this experience, is it mostly inactive or DFd ones or is there just as equally number of people just walking away suddenly? Thanks guys for being so open and sharing!

Moe

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Hello and welcome, Former! I am so very glad you are there for your sister. She is going to need you.

You said:

bigmac, it doesn't concern me a bit what they call it, but you can find the scriptural precedent here:

At this God said to Moses: "You shall call it a church, and it shall prove to be a memorial to me to times indefinite." And later he added: "This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, 'On second thought, Kingdom Hall sounds way fancier.'" (2 Balonians 3:14, NWT)

Too funny. Thank you. I'm very glad you're here.

Love,
    Baba.

• Former
    Former

mochamint22, I'm not sure what should make my answer any better than yours. People are people, and they make up their own minds for their own reasons.

That said, does anyone move to another city in an instant? No, such a large decision is preceded by a change in attitude. Perhaps you've known someone who's decided to move: for some time before their announcement they've complained that weather is bad, the people are rude and the area is ugly. They are full of reasons to leave and none to stay. When they finally declare their intentions they might believe they've decided in an instant, but in reality it's been some time coming.

The same is true of leaving the organization. Nobody decides to leave instantly. The stakes are too high and the lifestyle is too ingrained in them. The departure may be quick, but the process is slow. Naturally the more scrutiny one is under, the harder it is to leave gradually. Therefore when those who hold positions leave, they generally do so very quickly.

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Welcome to the Board. connecting with others in a similar situation can be encouraging. I am glad that you woke up and am sorry that your family is treating you and your sister so poorly. Hang in there

SIAM

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Welcome to the Monkey House.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit