My Experiences

by Former 79 Replies latest jw experiences

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I refer to the kh as 'church' to outsiders...using kh only in telling them how JWs do not call their places of worship 'churches'.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Agreed on both counts J-Woods.

• bohm
    bohm

isaac: Perhaps he is trying to alter his vocabulary for reasons we do not understand, like distancing himself from his past? Calling it a church or the CO a bishop could IMHO be seen as a way to poke fun at the watchtower.

you never know. i would have to be a good deal more than 90% sure to make the accusation by his 3rd post. at any rate if former (which is not my assumption, call me naive) is not legit, we will know soon enough.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

You are right Bohm. He is here to share and ask for help, obviously. I retract my staements of disbelief.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I am fascinated by this part of the experiences -

In the middle of this personal crisis I was approached by Jacob's uncle, Mark. He told me that he needed my help: he had 70 bible students that he was caring for himself. There was a group of immigrants known as the Karen who had been relocated from refugee camps in Burma (Myanmar) to the United States by means of the United Nations. They were intensely interested in the bible and incredibly friendly, strangers physically pulling us into their homes on sight though they spoke little English and we very little Karen. I was persuaded to place my plans for international peaching on hold and take a prominent role in the organizing of this foreign-language effort.
    I received an invitation to live at the Watchtower Educational Center in Patterson, New York

I hope Former comes back and tells us more about this "congregation for the Karen"...

BTW - Does anybody know anything about the Watchtower Educational Center in Patterson, New York? Is this something different than Gilead School?

• bohm
    bohm

sorry isaac, i didnt notice the past page of posts. i wrote my post and waited an hour before pressing submit while i cooked :-).

• Former
    Former

Good to see that the warmth has cooled off so quickly. It's to be expected, I suppose. The first post that is being quote-murdered I originally wrote for my friends on another forum, which is not related to Jehovah's Witnesses in any way. I posted it there first because I was seeking an unbiased perspective, and prefaced the post with these words:

"Sometimes I run into situations that infuriate me to such an astounding degree that I assume I must be wrong; I must have mistaken or misjudged something, or there must be some great bias preventing me from seeing things objectively. This is one of those times. My real-life friends and girlfriend agree with me, but they are not unbiased either. How should I view this? You be the judge. Right now my head is swimming with information and I have no idea what to do or how to feel about it. I turn to the wisdom of crowds."

I saw no need to change words like "church" as they describe the location perfectly well. You'll notice that even in my second post, written specifically for this forum, I used the phrase "preach full-time" rather than the typical Witness-speak of Pioneer. Call it juvenile rebelliousness if you will, but I'm attempting to place Jehovah's Witnesses in proper perspective as simply another feature of religion as a whole. I feel that "the pure language" limits the ability to think in an objective way.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Former, I apologize for, and retract any staements of doubt I made.

• Former
    Former

james_woods, the Watchtower Educational Center is the name for the branch office in Patterson, NY. It houses Gilead as well as Legal, Audio/Video Services, Art, Writing Correspondence and a few other departments.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    james_woods, the Watchtower Educational Center is the name for the branch office in Patterson, NY. It houses Gilead as well as Legal, Audio/Video Services, Art, Writing Correspondence and a few other departments.

Very interesting - I did not know that. I have been out of this organization since 1980 and had never heard this term. Glad to see you still here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit