DEMONS

by Band on the Run 64 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Growing up in the fifties and sixties, stories of demonic possession were prevalant in the Watchtower and Awake. I was terrified. We were told they would bother you if you were faithful, but also if you fell away. It seems as though we discussed demons more than we discussed Christ. I would check behind door hinges, the closet doors, and behind the shower curtain. Insomnia ensued. I recently found out from my younger sister that she, too, scanned the room to thwart demons. We could have shared our duties to get some sleep. Our overseer was English Polish. He played a tape made in England that was over the top and vivid involving a teapot being smashed.

Most of the Witness beliefs I could discard readily as I aged. Not so with demons. Years after no association I still fear them. I do not believe in them but I am terrified. When I took confirmation lessons, a priest recommended that I read The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. It was so liberating! A great-uncle demon writes correspondence to his newphew, trainee-demon on how best to screw up humans. In the intro or preface, he states that focusing too much on the spirit world is not healthy. Ultimately, any fallen creatures were created by God. God/Satan duality is not scriptural. The Christian Satan has no choice but to lose. Why could we not be implored to turn to Jesus? Even w/o the Trinity, Jesus should put the fear of the Lord in any demon who messes with me.

I was also raised that psychotic people were demonized. Once my mom visited a sister in the county hospital who was psychotic. I was so furious with her for tainting me. Once the woman said she heard voices, I feared they would jump onto me. Who has actually seen a demon? Seriously? Seroquel will help where prayer does not.

Perhaps this was a side issue in the history of the Witnesses. I am curious as to the reasons for my fear. Rationally, the last straw for me was when the Society jazzed up its demon stories to include a demon materializing next to a woman in bed for sex purposes. It was so over the top, innocent, young me laughed. Demons and sex seem to be related. I'm wondering if this wanton sex is what scared me. Psychologists must have studied this. Countless hours of life were destroyed being vigilant against demons. It also strikes me that there was not a single adult to offer me guidance on this. Enough bad things exist in this world without borrowing from an imaginary spirit world.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

They are not stories, I was one of them. I can't really tell if they are demons but they are very much like the demons Jesus tormented in the NT.

What I do know is that, you need to invite demons (satanic current) to your house or you have moved to a house that already has demons.

But you have nothing to fever, stay away from them and they will stay away from you.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Please, don't tease me and not let me have details. I don't believe they exist at all. Not that I want to test my view. If I heard voices or saw things that don't make sense, I'd immediately go to the nearest ER for a psych evaluation.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Demunzzzz!!!!

Yeah, I heard ALL about the "demunzzzz" when I was a kid, being bullied into the JW religion by my manic-depressive parents...

Now, if you want to talk about REAL demons, we could discuss my idiot parents... THEY were worse than ANY "demunzzz" could EVER be!!!

I always thought that those JW stories were all recycled pasture grass.... Thought they were funny; thought that the people who believed in them were friggin' ignorant or easily frightened or easily led or just plain desperately grasping at straws...

Never believed in ghosts, either... Was pretty secure in that belief, also...

Until I left the Watchtower Society, and my mind began to open up... Amazingly, it turned out that I had some mild psychic abilities, once the smothering effect of the Watchtower edicts against listening to one's own survival instincts were removed....

And... Eventually, I DID see "something" that defied the laws of physics... But it wasn't the least bit threatening...

So, I still don't believe in "demunzzz"...

Makes it SO much easier to deal with dark nights and shadows...

Zid

• Violia
    Violia

I have metaphysical material in my house and no demons. I have ouija boards, no demons.

I do believe a spirit world exists , but the jws and other fundy churches carry it to the extreme. I recall all those demon stories from the 50's and 60's. It affected me a lot too. In fact I credit it with my interest in the metaphysical.

I recall one very vivid story of a young guy who was a warlock. He had talked with the demons from youth on. He somehow came into contact with jws and well the story goes on to tell how much trouble he had ridding himself of them. They did not want to give up on him so quickly. It was a pretty good story and made a big impression on me. Couldn't tell you what year, although I suspect 70's.

• badcompany
    badcompany

I have an interesting perspective on this (IMHO). I married one JW and one born again Christian (10 years apart). Both of them left "Christianity" about a year after we married and became Witches (in the religious sense and the exJW is a member of this board). Spirits are around us all the time whether you sense it or not. Most are not here to hurt you...they just are. I used to fear and loath them but I was wrong. Just like the real world there are good ones and bad ones. Bad ones can be dealt with (knowledge and courage required). Good ones are your friends whether you accept it or not. Open up, you might find some friends.

I had to drop 20 years of JW drivel on this subject to get past my fears on this subject.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

Im not teasing, Its just one of these things I (and my parents) dont tell everyone because they will look at me like i have mental problems lol

This is the type of poltergeist I had at my old place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CwVCe7XTfc

• Violia
    Violia

Joey have you read the comments on that video?

I guess I should be afraid of whatever turned the page in the book for me, or steadied me from a fall.

I just don't. I don't know what it was but I don't feel fear.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I can relate about being fearful about demons. I grew up in the early 80's and it seems demon stories were big then too, smurfs,anyone.

Anyway,I was really afraid,so afraid in fact, when going upstairs to my bedroom, I would sing "We're Jehovah's Witnesses" real loud. I would emphasize "Jehovah" so any lurking demons would surely disappear.

It is something that is hard to get out of your head. I can't believe some of the stories I still hear that the Witnesses believe.

It is quite liberating to be free of all that nonsense.

But, it does anger me that adults let impressionable young children hear such things.

• Think About It
    Think About It

Between the frightening demon stories and doomsday cult fascination with Armaggedon (complete w/pictures), it's a wonder all JW kids didn't go batshit crazy. Can you imagine how insane this religion would have been if it would have taught hellfire?

Think About It

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit