Thanks and Goodbye

by brotherdan 89 Replies latest jw friends

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

BD, I thought long and hard before posting here, went for a run, went to the tobbacanist to pick up a few things to resolve my abject and utter failure in another project (another thread on that coming) and then thought some more.

If, in the course of our debates, I in any way offended you or you felt like I was attacking you personally, I wasn't trying to and I apologize.

If I offended your sensibilities of God, that I can't help.

It's EASY for me to have a voracious debate with someone like you and not take or intend to make anything personal, it's very easy for me to compartmentalize, I think mainly due to my background and the type of work I do. I am often reminded and often need to be reminded that not everyone is like me, they can't put things in boxes mentally and leave them there and move on. I am not saying that in a good or bad way about either types or about us, just stating it based on what you have said about you and what I know about me.

Having said that, there is no need to leave forever. Take a break, re-charge, come back. Like I've offered, I went through a similiar situation personally like what you are and I am here if you need someone to talk to. Others on the board were here for me when I needed someone to talk to (even though I could barely admit it to myself) and helped me a lot.

Come back when and if you are ready. Godspeed, my friend.

• 3dogs1husband
    3dogs1husband

Maybe this is part of your journey, perhaps you got to invested in this site and now feel the need to let it go? It wouldnt be such a bad thing to unplug take some time and come back once in awhile lurk, and maybe post and let everyone know how you are doing. I have never gotten into much debatting about the whole god/bible stuff on here because I choose not to. No one else gets "it" ..... hopefully we see you soon!

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Well Dan I'm sad to see you leave Many of your threads really had impact on me. I saw people coming together to support you and care for you when you needed it the most and it really touched me, mainly because when my little family went through what we did we did it alone... I hadn't found this forum yet and didn't have the loving concern and helpful words I seen so many giving you.

I hope if you are gone for good you always remember those who reached out to you in your time of need..not because they had to, but because they really cared. Remember the good because there will always be something negative to look at.

Peace out

• watson
    watson

It think Dan is just doing what Jesus would do.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

"Your all being Mean to God!..So I`m running Away!"..

"Your going to miss me..So I won`t be gone long"..

http://www.elsaelsa.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/drama_queen1.jpg

...................... ...OUTLAW

• simon17
    simon17

I wish you the best and that you find peace.

I might say that having an unmoveable feeling that all religions are wrong aside from christianity does make it difficult to tolerate a place where people are discovering what their beliefs really are. In many cases those beliefs are wildly different from your own. Threads irreverant towards "God" are no less offensive than one saying that all muslims/hindus/JWs are wrong in their beliefs. But... if facing that is personally or emotionally harmful, then by all means, find a better way! But I just don't think its fair to blame it on the site being intolerant of your beliefs; just your sensitivity about them.

Quite honestly, I enjoy reading your threads, especially the recent one about prophecy fulfilled. I would hope you'd tough it out and add your unique viewpoint on matters. It is all worhty food for thought.

• I quit!
    I quit!

Why not just leave for a while, cool down and come back when you calm down. I don't get why people get overly upset when people say things about their god. Do you remember back in the late 80's when Muslims wanted to kill Salman Rushdie because they believed he had offended god. What kind of god would get all upset about anything we could say about him? Is their god really that petty? And if he is that upset can't he take care of business himself? To me it looks like something like this is going on here: "You said mean things about my god and now he is in his room crying I just don't know how he will ever get over it."

I believe in god but I also realize that people have legitimate reasons not to believe and many of their critisms about religion are justified. I also know that there are fundies on both sides of the debate that are all very sure that they have all the correct answers and know how exactly how it is. Good for them. Why let it bother you?

Anyway don't let it get to you. Take a break, come back and go for round two. This place is what you make of it.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    It think Dan is just doing what Jesus would do.

Oh, yeah, you mean the part where Jesus bailed on an Internet forum when his opponents exposed his flawed arguments?

Dan, I wanted to give you the benefit of a doubt but I hadn't read your other recent threads when I posted on this one earlier. Surely you realize how it must look for your departure to coincide with a thread in which your assertions on prophecy were deconstructed by a number of (IMO) exceptionally intelligent posters.... right?

Either way, I've learned yet again not to start friendships with people who will shuck human relationships for their invisible deity. That's not anger at god, I just don't have time for folks who put more value on their cherished subjective beliefs than in two-way human relationships. Life's too short.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Dan, it's sad to hear that one of the good guys is leaving, and you certainly are a good guy. But I know that you're doing your best to do what's right for your family, and that you are the best judge of when it's time for you to move on. Like growing up in a big family, there comes a time to leave the bickering behind and move out on your own. I wish you well as you move on.

Thank you for being part of this group. You will be missed, please do stop by and tell us how you're doing occassionally. Godspeed, Dan, and may God bless you and your family.

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Wannaexit - good balanced comments

Br Dan, I echo the comments that many have already said "a lot have said goodbye then come back" do yourself a favour and read wannaexit's comments above. I am sure you just need a break, perhaps being on this board as constantly as what you have is not healthy for you.

In the meantime, take care and I wish you well. Cheers, Mattieu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit