Thanks and Goodbye

by brotherdan 89 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

DAN- I guess I wasn't aware of reading any of those threads that offended you. The threads I read were threads in which hundreds of posters supported you in your strife and trouble dealing with your JW homelife. Each of us pursues different beliefs in exiting the witnesses. Some of us are agnostic, atheist, and some pursue religious belief in God. It's all good - what works for some does not work for another. Doesn't mean a person is evil because they don't believe in God - they just believe differently.

I would venture to say most of the people here supporting you with loving kind comments are either agnostic or atheist . Does that cause confusion in your mind on how that can be ? I can assure you that you'll get much more REAL support here than a JW congregation. You get unconditional support here, conditional support inside the congregation. But I wish you well on your marriage, family, & other challenges you face in the future. Good luck

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus
    I would venture to say most of the people here supporting you with loving kind comments are either agnostic or atheist . Does that cause confusion in your mind on how that can be ? I can assure you that you'll get much more REAL support here than a JW congregation. You get unconditional support here, conditional support inside the congregation.

Flipper you bring a great point. I wonder how many of the people who posted on BDs threads about his marriage were Atheists? I think the majority of them were. Anyway great point

• bite me
    bite me

Take a break, if you must, but please do not go. I think you can see from reading your thread that you have many, many people who will truly miss you. Take care of yourself.

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

Sad to see you go Dan, I hope you find your way in life.

3Mozzies

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Dan, I can respect your decision to leave if the arguments on here drain your happiness. Some threads get to me as well. It seems a little odd that you'd choose to drop off altogether but to each his own. Wouldn't presume to judge you for it.

I should apologize for the belligerent tone I take sometimes, although I am not sorry for sharing my views. While my goal is never to offend, it was a long road to freedom so I'll be damned if I'm gonna suppress my views on god after coming out of a group that tried to keep me from thinking for myself. What we have here is an outlet, a place to vent, a place to discuss our views freely... the antithesis of a kingdom hall. No, it isn't always positive. But it isn't always negative either.

My goal, like others, is to encourage exJWs to think freely and identify old presupposition that might cloud their view. Right or wrong, since I feel like I've gone to the trouble to release my own and, in turn, have a better perspective, I'm compelled to share that new viewpoint with others. Sometimes that might come out as sarcasm but it's certainly not anger.

I tell my daughter not to spoil other kids' Christmas by telling them the truth about Santa Claus. Why? Because they are kids and their faith in Santa isn't hurting anyone as far as I can see. But I don't believe in Yahweh or a divine Jesus. So when I see adult fundamentalists try to drive a wedge between education and evolution, or try to influence a government ban on issue that is influenced by faith in the bible, I see fit to expose the the bible as false as the other holy books. Not that you do those things personally, but to me faith in the supernatural equals superstition and that isn't harmless. Perhaps faith helps some people in some respects but I think superstitious faith slows progress for the human race in general.

These are not personal attacks anymore than your attempt to reason with a JW is a personal attack on them. Is it wrong to expose what we believe are flaws in logic? When we all sit around and take jabs at JW faith, it seems to be okay. But many believers seem to take folks like me literally. I don't mean that I actually believe Yahweh is a hateful god. Those are just examples that show the bible to be self-refuting and the god described therein does not exist. We're just trying to reason on some of the violent, unloving, and unjust accounts we've read. Again, I don't wish to offend you or any other Christians but it's hard to state my conflicting view without doing so.

Anyway, while we've disagreed on some things, I've really enjoyed our conversations nonetheless. Take care of yourself and I truly hope you're able to save your beautiful family from the WT's clutches.

Tim/SBC

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I hope you find your way back.

Wishing you peace and happiness.

lisa

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus
    But many believers seem to take folks like me literally. I don't mean that I actually believe Yahweh is a hateful god.

Tim, so are you saying that all those accusations on Yahweh are not for reals? That when you call the God of the Israelites a murderer that it is not really name calling since YOU DONT BELIEVE he really exists? Wait a minute. Now I am confused.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Bye Dan, I just have to say that this board is just like real life...good and bad..

Take the good leave the bad.

I hope you work things out for the sake of your family..

Snoozy

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

If I say chupacabras are angry goats will I offend you, CJ?

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

I think this is just a phase, Dan. We've all gone through it. Take some time off, and come back when you're ready. The "disturbing" threads won't seem so disturbing when you're in a better place in life

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit