Generation Teaching - Everyone is speechless?

by Red Piller 443 Replies latest jw friends

• The Finger
    The Finger

Djeggnog,

I have to admit I haven't read all of your post. I copied it and was going to print it out but it said it was 40 pages. On my meager wages I thought, better not.

Regarding the email. Just thought I'd share with you another comment.

"I regret that the WTS promotes this sister's narrow-minded, judgmental attitude toward higher education, something that the Bible certainly does not condemn."

This was from the person who IS a JW and has been for many many years and sent me the email about the earthquake. I have found many who feel like this. Admittedly not many elders. Maybe they are abit detached from the flock they are sheparding.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Lisa said: I was raised a JW. By the time I was 15 or 16 I had figured out that 1914 was false. I put my faith in God. I lost a few family members over it.

djeggnog said: You were mistaken about the year 1914 being false. I believe that you were also mistaken as to this idea that you were putting your faith in God. If you lost family members over your disbelief, then imo there is only one to blame for that: You.

When you thought I belived that the world would end while the generation of 1914 was alived...AS THE WATCHTOWER SAID GOD PROMISED, you blamed me for believing the Watchtower. Now you "blame" me for not believing in the Watchtower teaching of 1914.

How on earth do you decide which Watchtower 'truths' to believe, and which ones are just false teachings and false prophosey that will change later?

djeggnog wrote: You don't believe these words you quoted from the Awake! to have been "words of encouragement," but I'm sure that in hindsight, had those [responsible] for signing off on the decision to include those words in the "masthead" of the Awake! [known that these words would lead some to conclude that we were prophets, prophets in the sense of being able to predict the future in contradiction to Jesus' words at Matthew 24:36 to the effect that 'nobody knows that day and hour'], that those words would not be there.

I don't think they mind that 'some conclude' they are prophets:

What the Watchtower says comes from God..

And, the Watchtower predicted the end of the world in one literal generation from 1914 all the time. It was not that some Witnesses were 'mistaken' and didn't understand what the Watchtower was saying. The Watchtower was very clear.

djeggnog wrote: But what harm did those words do to you or to anyone?

Lisa wrote: You didn't answer my question. What harm did these words do either to you or to anyone else?

No, I didn't answer your question. I didn't answer your question because it is not relevant. A crime is a crime no matter if someone was hurt or not. But I will now answer your question, since you press on and on with it as if it matters: countless people were hurt by these words. Families were torn apart over these words. lives destroyed by shunning over these words. believers didn't go to college, sold houses and didn't plan for old age over these words. Thousands and thousands of people were hurt over these LIES from a FALSE PROPHET. But again, that is not relevant. They are a false prophet even if no one was hurt.

djeggnog wrote: It wasn't the intention of Jehovah's Witnesses to suggest to anyone that we knew the "day and hour" when the end of the present system of things would occur, nor have we ever intimated that we knew the "day and hour" when the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ at Armageddon was going to arrive. The words in the masthead were unfortunate since it is apparent that no one knew that those words would be construed as if they were the prediction of a prophet, for, as anyone that has ever studied the Bible with Jehovah's Witnesses would know, those words were to encourage the reader to have confidence, that is to say, to put their faith in "the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure new world before the generation of the sign that began in 1914 passes away," or whenever it was that "the generation of the sign that began in 1914" passed away," and should not have been construed to mean anything more than this.

You are wrong. It WAS CLEARLY the intention of Jehovah's Witnesses to suggest to everyone that they preached to that they knew that the end of the present system of things would occur before the generation of 1914 passed away. (I posted scans above that PROVE my point.)

Lisa wrote: Yeah..........I don't know who you are talking to here.

djeggnog wrote: I was here talking to you about your attempt to hurt God because you decided that you didn't want to wait on Him and on his schedule any longer.

I'm sorry. You must have me confused with someone else. I have nothing against God. God and I are good, thanks.

I have something against false prophets.

djeggnog wrote: I never said that disfellowshipped persons aren't shunned in God's organization; of course they are. They are disgusting in their filth, care nothing about God's righteousness and often seek to find an excuse for the sinful things that they're doing.

Lisa wrote: Right. What you said was:

[As to this last question I just asked you, there aremany immature ones among Jehovah's Witnesses that do not read the very literature we place with those not Jehovah's Witnesses, and] neither you nor they can find anywhere in any of our literature that indicates that a disfellowshipped or someone that disassociates themselves from God's organization is cut off from familial association with their own relatives. [I cannot force you or any of these immature ones to read our literature, and I cannot force any of you to comprehend what our literature says on this particular topic.]

..And then I quoted some of the countless places in your literature that indicates that a disfellowshipped or someone that disassociates themselves from "God's organization" is cut off from familial association with their own relatives.

Djeggnog wrote: Yes, you did. As a matter of fact, I didn't disagree with any of the things you said, and so your point is what? I

assume you have one. What exactly am I missing, @lisaBObeesa?

Very interesting how you changed whatI said you said right here with brackets. I've seen that technique before.

What I actually said you said (the yellow lines) was:

@djeggnogneither you nor they can find anywhere in any of our literature that indicates that a disfellowshipped or someone that disassociates themselves from God's organization is cut off from familial association with their own relatives.

And my point, by quoting a ton of your literature, was to show that your statement is false. The Watchtower DOES indicate that a disfellowshipped or disassociated person is cut off from familial association with their own relatives.

• Gary1914
    Gary1914

Hi Lisa, You (and others) have done a stellar job of proving to this Watchtower fanatic that his religion cannot have holy spirit and is not of god. In spite of the many evidences you have displayed to him from the Watchtower's own literature he has made the decision that it is easier not to defend the watchtower, but just to deny the teaching. His mantra has become, no they never taught that. For example, prophesying the date of Armageddon, denying that disfellowing family members can resume familial relations. He prefers to pull the covers over his head and hum.

And he is the one who accuses others of being intellectually challenged? Incredible.

Well, he is probably off frantically typing another 40 pages to post proving to us that he is the only one who is right. Actually, I do believe that this witness is delusional and maybe a bit deranged.

I bet that he is humming as he types.

• sabastious
    sabastious

djeggnog is an egomaniac. He is here to prove to all (and mostly himself) of his superior intellect.

I hope that everyone responding to him in length is doing it for the lurkers and not djeggnog, because he will not budge, not for one second, not ever, imo.

-Sab

• caliber
    caliber
    I hope that everyone responding to him in length is doing it for the lurkers

On a very positive note I agree with Gary, Lisa and others were force to dig down deep to show

absolute proof for such teachings as (Jw's being Prophets, the family required shunning policy (if you knew what's good for you anyway )

and the single (shingle) generation teaching......in bold letters

I think DJ's reasoning on the family shunning policy seems to go similar this... If a cop had a gun aimed at you and said stop running away or I'll

shoot..... no one is making you stop , you do that all by yourself !!! ( emotional blackmail "apparently" doesn't have any power like a bullet does !)

• Ding
    Ding

I used to make an effort to reply to the WT apologists here point by point, but I'm coming to the view that it's a waste of time.

I'm happy to share my views to people with an open mind, but the WT apologists don't care what I think, and I've already spent way too much of my life reading Watchtower propaganda.

I wonder if the best course for the rest of us is to ignore their posts completely.

My only concern is that people who are stuggling with what to believe may think that our lack of a direct response to the WT apologists means that we have nothing to say on the topic.

What do the rest of you think?

Should we respond or just ignore them?

• TD
    TD

DJ:

@TD:

The concept of a generation as a single human lifespan is threaded through several other JW teachings including their understanding of the Great Crowd of Revelation 7. No amount of word play is going to change that.

Jehovah's Witnesses do not deny and would never deny the fact that we once understood the words "this generation" at Matthew 24:34 to mean something other than what we now understand these words to me. Why do you say "word play"?

That comment was made in reference to a sentiment expressed here on JWN and even within some JW circles that the most recent adjustment to the understanding of Matthew 24:34 could move the "End" 60 to 80 years in the future.

To me, taking an understanding of one scripture and stretching it to the point of incompatibilty with an understanding of a different scripture is "Word play." --Something that is only possible if one does not care for the integrity of the belief system as a whole.

@TD:

You can't even be a "prospective" member of the "Great Crowd" if you don't live to see the "Great Tribulation" because you have an absolute zero prospect of surviving an event you don't live to see.

I agree with you in this respect: Only those of the "other sheep" that are also survivors of Armageddon would constitute that "great crowd."

Indeed. No one could have been a member of the "great crowd" even in theory in the year 1700 because the proximity of the end is one element that makes identification of the "great crowd" possible. That in turn, ties the understanding of the "great crowd" to a considerably shorter time period than the current understanding of Matthew 24:34 could (In theory) include.

Therefore the instant that group is identified, the clock starts ticking. If the "Great Tribulation" does not occur in the lifetime of the target group, something is wrong. I don't think the perspective in the vision allows for any squirming around this at all.

This is just nonsense and makes no sense. There is no "ticking clock." Either one is one of the Armageddon survivors and not, and if he or she is, then he or she would be a number of the "great crowd."

It is a logical corollary to formally recognizing the "Great Crowd" prior to the "Great Tribulation" that has been observed in JW literature:

"God's infallible word depicts this group as 'coming out of the great tribulation,' being survivors of it, living right on into God's New Order without ever having to die. (Revelation 7:9, 10, 14; John 11:26) The early members of this group are now in their 60's or 70's or older. Jehovah did not allow the ingathering of this group to begin too soon. The "great crowd," including many of the earliest members thereof, will survive into the "new earth." (Survival Into a New Earth p. 185)

The writer wasn't looking at the "Great Tribulation" as a future event and describing a "generation" of people who survive as a class

Which "writer." The writer of Matthew's gospel (the apostle Matthew) or the writer of the Revelation (the apostle John)? John doesn't mention a generation at all, but Matthew refers to both the "generation," not of people who survive as a class, but the period that began in 1914 when the presence of Jesus Christ began, which ends at the conclusion of this system of things.

I was referring to the writer of Revelation -- whomever that may have been.

The writer is on the "Other side" looking back at the "Great Tribulation" as a past event and describing a group composed of individual survivors

I suppose you could say that John was "looking back," but I believe he was looking forward to the future, which future began "in the Lord's day" (Revelation 1:10), during which he say the ride of four horsemen (Revelation 6:2-8) and a group of folks "that come out of the great tribulation" wearing white robes. (Revelation 7:9, 14)

It's a matter of which perspective we're talking about. If you are carried away in vision to see things in the far future as if you're actually there, then you have been given a temporary pespective apart from that which a third party would normally associate you with. It would be difficult to record that vision in the first person without assuming that future perspective for the sake of clear writing.

I think this can easily be shown by comparison with more conventional prophecy:

"And the wolf will actually reside for a while with the male lamb, and with the kid the leopard itself will lie down and the calf and the maned young lion and the well-fed animal all together, and a mere little boy will be leader over them."

"After these things I saw, and look! a great crowd, which no man was able to number, out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the Lamb, dressed in white robes; and there were palm branches in their hands. And they keep on crying with a loud voice, saying: "Salvation we owe to our God, who is seated on the throne and to the Lamb."

For the "Great crowd" of Revelation, the "Great Tribulation" is clearly a past event --else they would not speak of their salvation in the present tense. The are not a group of people hoping to survive. They are a group of people who have survived.

The point to all this is that an extension to the "Time of the End" on the order of 60 to 80 years would make 1935 look ludicrous, given the fact that people were asked to stand up and be recognized as the "Great Multitude" of Revelation at that time.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Djeggnog said.....

Oh F*ck why bother read all that bullsh*t?

• baltar447
    baltar447

wow, is eggnog really a team of writers that crank out all that?

• caliber
    caliber

Generation Teaching - Everyone is
    speechless
    " except Momma Cass" and DJEggnog LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit