...Obama on Jon Stewart`s "Daily Show"...

by OUTLAW 109 Replies latest social current

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I thought it was brilliant for both men.

Much better move than Palin appearing on SNL right before presidential election!

• beksbks
    beksbks

Perhaps the Founding Fathers had it right after all - don't let the average American ignoramus anywhere near

the levers of power.

That is a profoundly frightening statement

Why is that?

Thomas Jefferson in a letter to John Adams 1813

It was a Bill for the more general diffusion of learning. This proposed to divide every county into wards of 5 or 6 miles square, like your townships; to establish in each ward a free school for reading, writing and common arithmetic; to provide for the annual selection of the best subjects from these schools who might recieve at the public expence a higher degree of education at a district school; and from these district schools to select a certain number of the most promising subjects to be completed at an University, where all the useful sciences should be taught. Worth and genius would thus have been sought out from every condition of life, and completly prepared by education for defeating the competition of wealth and birth for public trusts.

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

DS, you are truly clueless.

Tell the truth, Beksie. You use Google for your well thought-out and informed responses, don't you?

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

I thought it was brilliant for both men.

Much better move than Palin appearing on SNL right before presidential election!

Brilliant? You get all your information from Comedy Central, don't you?

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

Why is that?

"Men who look upon themselves born to reign, and others to obey, soon grow insolent; selected from the rest of mankind their minds are early poisoned by importance; and the world they act in differs so materially from the world at large, that they have but little opportunity of knowing its true interests, and when they succeed to the government are frequently the most ignorant and unfit of any throughout the dominions."

- Thomas Paine, "Of Monarchy and Hereditary Succession" from Common Sense (1776)

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Lots of Posts,lots of Opinions..

If you want to get Americans going,start talking about the USA President..

LOL!!..

As an Outsider looking In..I thought both Obama and Stewart did well..

It was one of Jon Stewarts better show`s..

....................... ...OUTLAW

• Think About It
    Think About It

Pathetic

I agree. Makes the office of President seem less dignified. Much different for a sitting President to appear on this type of format, than a candidate. Stewart can be funny, but all he does is mock anything that can get a laugh. I didn't watch it and don't care too, but please tell me they didn't fist bump or call each other homey. I hope the hell the Repubs can come up with someone better than Sarah Palin to run against him in 2012.

Think About It

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Brilliant? You get all your information from Comedy Central, don't you?

Yes I do and I get all my Comedy from FOX!!!!

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

Yes I do and I get all my Comedy from FOX!!!!

Which is the explanation for your deeply intellectual comments

Stewart can be funny, but all he does is mock anything that can get a laugh.

Yep. That's his schtick. He plays to the YouTube/Lady Gaga crowd, and does it well. It's just a notch above bathroom humor, meant for those who would rather laugh at everything than think about anything

I didn't watch it and don't care too, but please tell me they didn't fist bump or call each other homey.

No "homeys", but I believe it was the first time the President of the United States was called "dude" on-air by an interviewer

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

Even left-leaning writers see Obama's appearance on the comedy show as something less than presidential

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/27/AR2010102709035.html

On the Daily Show, Obama is the last laugh

By Dana Milbank

Wednesday, October 27, 2010; 11:49 PM

On Comedy Central, the joke was on President Obama Wednesday night.

The president had come, on the eve of what will almost certainly be the loss of his governing majority, to plead his case before Jon Stewart, gatekeeper of the disillusioned left. But instead of displaying the sizzle that won him an army of youthful supporters two years ago, Obama had a Brownie moment.

The Daily Show host was giving Obama a tough time about hiring the conventional and Clintonian Larry Summers as his top economic advisor.

"In fairness," the president replied defensively, "Larry Summers did a heckuva job."

"You don't want to use that phrase, dude," Stewart recommended with a laugh.

Dude. The indignity of a comedy show host calling the commander in chief "dude" pretty well captured the moment for Obama. He was making this first-ever appearance by a president on the Daily Show as part of a long-shot effort to rekindle the spirit of '08. In the Daily Show, Obama had a friendly host and an even friendlier crowd.

But, as in his MTV appearance a couple of weeks ago, Obama didn't try to connect with his youthful audience. He was serious and defensive, pointing a finger at his host several times as he quarreled with the premise of a question.

Stewart, who struggled to suppress a laugh as Obama defended Summers, turned out to be an able inquisitor on behalf of aggrieved liberals. He spoke for the millions who had been led to believe that Obama was some sort of a messianic figure. Obama has only himself to blame for their letdown. By raising expectations impossibly high, playing the transformational figure to Hillary Clinton's status-quo drone, he gave his followers an unrealistic hope.

"You're coming from a place, you ran on a very high rhetoric: 'hope' and 'change.' And the Democrats this year seem to be running on 'Please, baby, one more chance.'" Stewart observed. "Are you disappointed in how it's gone?"

Obama replied that he was advised after the election that "two years from now, folks are going to be frustrated" -- a prediction he did not make public to his starry-eyed suporters at the time.

"We have done things that some folks don't even know about," Obama ventured.

Oh? "Are you planning a surprise party for us?" the host inquired. In response, Obama recited his well-known, if under-appreciated, list of accomplishments.

"Is the difficulty," Stewart asked, "that you have here the distance between what you ran on and what you delivered? You ran with such, if I may, audacity.... yet legislatively it has felt timid at times."

Stewart had found the sore point between Obama and his base -- and Obama was irritable. "Jon, I love your show, but this is something where I have a profound disagreement with you," he said. "What happens," he added, "is it gets discounted because the presumption is, well, we didn't get 100 percent of what we wanted, we got 90 percent of what we wanted -- so let's focus on the 10 percent we didn't get." He said that a cancer patient in New Hampshire helped by the bill "doesn't think it's inconsequential."

"The suggestion was not that it's inconsequential," the comedian pointed out.

Obama leaned in and pointed at the host. "Your suggestion was that it was timid."

Still, the president did not really quarrel with Stewart's notion that Obama has done some of his work in a "political manner that has papered over a foundation that is corrupt."

"I think that is fair," Obama granted.

But when Stewart moved, politely, to point out weaknesses in the health-care legislation, Obama pointed at him again. "Not true!" the president argued.

Obama wore a displeased grin as Stewart diagnosed, with high accuracy, the administration's condition: "The expectation, I think, was audacity going in there and really rooting out a corrupt system, and so the sense is, has [the] reality of what hit you in the face when you first stepped in caused you to back down from some of the more visionary things?"

"My attitude is if we're making progress, step by step, inch by inch, day by day," Obama said, "that we are being true to the spirit of that campaign."

"You wouldn't say you'd run this time as a pragmatist? It wouldn't be, 'Yes we can, given certain conditions?'"

"I think what I would say is yes we can, but -- "

Stewart, and the audience, laughed at the "but."

Obama didn't laugh. "But it's not going to happen overnight," he finished.

Try shouting that slogan at a campaign rally, dude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit