The Doctrine of Hell

by Yizuman 226 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• designs
    designs

PS-

Take most of the 'gods' of the ancient world- Zeus, Thor, YHWH etc. and see the matching actions and qualities or their treatment of humans. How is the god Zeus and the co-god Hades much different than God and Satan in Christian theology.

Compare what happens in the Greek's /Underworld to what happens to unbelievers in Revelation.

• tec
    tec

In greek mythology, isn't hades just the place of the dead. Everyone goes there?

Tammy

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Take most of the 'gods' of the ancient world- Zeus, Thor, YHWH etc. and see the matching actions and qualities or their treatment of humans. How is the god Zeus and the co-god Hades much different than God and Satan in Christian theology.

Well, for one thing, None of those Gods gave of themselves for lowly humans, none of them, gave their only begotten Son, none of them came down to US because we can never go "up" to Him, The Gods of Greece and the Viking gods cared little of man, man was their play thing and they have to prove worthy of the Gods love, the Christian God gives his love freely.

As for God and Satan, the obvious parentage thing aside, Satan doesn't really "rule" anything and certainly doesn't rule Hades.

Sure he is called the ruler of this world a few times, even by Christ, but he rule ended with Christs death and ressurection and he rules only those that have no belief.

Compare what happens in the Greek's /Underworld to what happens to unbelievers in Revelation.

Hades had many parts, including the allysian fields where the heroes went, but I think I know what you mean and yes, of course there is a sembelence, afterall, the writers were writing to an audience composed primarily of former pagans that were very familiar with "Hades" so they would use imagery that they could relate to.

Just as we nowadays would use the Jersey Shore show to prove how the world will end soon.

:)

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    In greek mythology, isn't hades just the place of the dead. Everyone goes there?

Yep, good and bad people. Hades has different palces for each of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hades

• designs
    designs

ala the story of the Rich and Lazarus being within hearing distance of each other. These questions are not meant to be entirely a cold bucket of water on people who believe in the Bible, rather its a position of asking do we really understand the history and culture of people living 2000 to 3000 years ago.

Many Rabbinic schools have taken a fresh approach to these ancient stories and some progressive Christian Seminaries approach the NT in a similar fashion. Most modern Christians do not relate to a Church that burned heretics at the stake, its repugnant to them. Likewise views of Creation have had to undergo change in light of rational science.

Now one of the last pegs in Christian eschatology and theology is this notion of Judgement/Punishment where the good go to paradise and the wicked go and roast a hotdog on cousin Lenny who happens to be on fire.

Its primitive and all of our ancestors held to some or all of these views and superstitions.

• Chalam
    Chalam

leavingwt It's 2010, is this really the tool to turn people to Christ?

Probably not, I certainly prefer the message of Grace.

God is the friend of sinners but He is also holy and just.

Much better to fall into the loving arms of the Father rather than be without a Mediator in the hands of the Judge.

Hebrews 10:28-31 (New International Version)

28 Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know him who said, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," and again, "The Lord will judge his people." 31 It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Blessings,

Stephen

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

He is also holy and just.

Stephen, you are more just than him, IMHO.

If even one person burns for eternity, you are superior.

• designs
    designs

Let us make a pledge- to educate our children about religion and end this reign of fear mongering.

Mine are free.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

cofty said:

To say that god does not send anybody to hell because they choose to go there is the worse sort of intellectual dishonesty.

I've never said that, so, I at least in part agree. Hell is the wrath of God, after all.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Psac

God: "I'll create a bunch of weak mortals and place before them a huge test. I'm smart, so I know that most of them will fail. When they do fail, let's torture them for all eternity. Good times."
    The humour aside and it was funny, LOL, where did you get that POV ?

That's the POV of someone who either thinks they are smarter than God and/or who hopes to escape his wrath.

Even though Steven and I may see this a little differently we both would quote scripture to make our points. If leavingwt was going to be honest he would at least mock the scripture since he attributes these words to God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit