The Doctrine of Hell

by Yizuman 226 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Does Hell have a maximum capacity? One would think the Asians would have filled it up by now. Billions of them have died, having never heard of Jesus.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Does Hell have a maximum capacity? One would think the Asians would have filled it up by now. Billions of them have died, having never heard of Jesus.

I know this was in jest, but I assume that you arw aware that NOT having knowledge of Jeuss does NOT equal "hell".

If there is a hell, it is for those that DO HAVE and CHOOSE to "not have".

• tec
    tec

And yet you believe in this concept of Hell and a Jesus/God who created it and runs it. Incredible, but that's why it is important to debate this issue.

I don't believe that.

Sometimes I don't believe in hell at all, sometimes I believe in it as a separation that is ongoing because life is ongoing (just not individual), sometimes I believe in it as death - whether symbolic or literal, I don't know.

I do not believe anyone is predestined for eternal torment in a hell of any kind.

Is it accurate to say that Hell once scared people into going to church, but that it now turns people away?

I think it is one of the biggest things that turns caring individuals away, yes. One of the biggest things that keeps people from giving the Christian God a chance.

But I think our concept of hell (at least the mainstream concept) is completely wrong.

Tammy

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    If there is a hell, it is for those that DO HAVE and CHOOSE to "not have".

If this is true, then why preach? For, only those that have heard the message are in danger of Hell. This makes preaching the same as screwing people over -- for eternity, because most reject the message.

If God is going to read hearts, perhaps we can all just never discuss religion, ever again and go about our business.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    But I think our concept of hell (at least the mainstream concept) is completely wrong.

Tammy:

Does it trouble you that a topic as important as the possibility of eternal torment is not understood by most?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    If this is true, then why preach? For, only those that have heard the message are in danger of Hell. This makes preaching the same as screwing people over -- for eternity, because most reject the message.

It is better to choose sooner rather than later. You get a head start.

• designs
    designs

tec-

Glad to see the thoughtful contemplation of this teaching. A literal burning Hell is the ancient teaching of the Church of Rome and the Eastern Orthodox and Protestants/Evangelicals. They have all had to address the huge moral and ethical problems with this doctrine. Some have changed while others hold on to the old view. But the old view is the offical teaching and it is Western Christianity's downfall, even the 'soft' version doesn't let those who believe off the hook about their concept of God it just makes it easier to swallow.

Who made it an when are the questions that believers need to ask themselves, that begins the unraveling of its grip.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    It is better to choose sooner rather than later. You get a head start.

OK, that is reasonable enough, if one accepts that we will all have a chance to make an informed decision at some point, knowing the consequences of our actions very clearly.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

No, not really because hearing the messgae is just that, hearing it.

Accepting is another thing, giving oneself to the message is another, and so forth.

The message is preached to bring all those that hear it to God through Jesus, so that they may know hsi lovve NOW, rather than later, so that they may know his strength NOW, rather thna later.

I think it would be far worse NOT to preach the message of Love and Salavation if we are able to, than to not do it and deprive people of being able to Have Jesus NOW, rather than later.

Know what I mean?

If God is going to read hearts, perhaps we can all just never discuss religion, ever again and go about our business.

See above :)

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

PSac & Burns: You're God is not sitting in Heaven playing a great, confusing game of Gotcha! and I appreciate this. Some versions of God are simply unlovable in my opinon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit