The Doctrine of Hell

by Yizuman 226 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

The foolishness of the classic view of hell is self-evident, but even if you develop a more sophisticated version of it the basic moral problem does not go away.

Eternal existence in either physical, mental or emotional pain is all the same. Its all an attempt at manipulation that ought to have died off by now. I suspect that outside Catholic countries and certain parts of the USA it is in terminal decline

• designs
    designs

One of these days a believer in Hell will admit or venture who made Hell.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    As many atheists authors ask, who wouldn't choose eternal bliss with God? Who would choose Hell? Nobody, of course.

You sure about that?

• Think About It
    Think About It
    Many churches teach that Hell is a separation from God. Further, they say that ONLY people who WANT to go there, end up there.

Yeah, I'm aware of the different changes and "new light" in the doctrine by different churches and theologians. I do give them credit for moving away from the Dark Ages nonsense version.

Think About It

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    You sure about that?

I'm willing to listen to your argument as to why someone would choose eternal torment.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I'm willing to listen to your argument as to why someone would choose eternal torment.

You do know that millions of people CHOOSE to watch Jersey Shore right?

• Chalam
    Chalam

Welcome aqwsed12345!

BurnTheShips DD, Chalam, PSac, and I may quibble about the details, but we all believe the Christian doctrine of Hell.

There is a Hell, and it is horrible beyond words.

There is no sugar coating that. The metaphors of a burning fire in Scripture are just metaphors

Agreed, save the metaphor. Was the fire at Sodom and Gomorrah literal or just symbolic?

Jude 1:7 (New International Version)

7 In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

I would recommend this to all.

A Land Unknown: Hell's Dominion Part 1 of 7

A Land Unknown: Hell's Dominion Part 2 of 7

A Land Unknown: Hell's Dominion Part 3 of 7

A Land Unknown: Hell's Dominion Part 4 of 7

A Land Unknown: Hell's Dominion Part 5 of 7

A Land Unknown: Hell's Dominion Part 6 of 7

A Land Unknown: Hell's Dominion Part 7 of 7

Blessings,

Stephen

• Chalam
    Chalam

tec You must not believe that 99% of the world is going there then, as some fundies do. Certainly someone in a place who has never had the chance to learn about or truly accept Christ (considering the name many Christians have given Him), isn't necessarily a lover of evil.

Tammy, see what Bob Jones has to say regarding this issue.

Bob Jones died- God sent him back from heaven's door- 1

Bob Jones died- God sent him back from heaven's door- 2

Bob Jones died- God sent him back from heaven's door- 3

Blessings in Christ,

Stephen

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Jude doesn't speak of Hell in regards to the fire Stephen, but he does speak of the "neither gloom" where the fallen angels are kept until Judgment day.

5 Now I desire to remind you, though you were once for all fully informed, that he who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe. 6 And the angels that did not keep their own position but left their proper dwelling have been kept by him in eternal chains in the nether gloom until the judgment of the great day; 7 just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise acted immorally and indulged in unnatural lust, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.

• Chalam
    Chalam

I disagree, verse 7 is loud and clear. Try it in the ESV

Jude 1:7 (English Standard Version)

7 just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.

The fire has long gone out at Sodom and Gomorrah. However, the verse says they serve as an example of the eternalfire i.e. the second death.

Revelation 20:10-15 (New International Version)

10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

The Dead Are Judged
    11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15 If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire. Blessings, Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit