Are you afraid of the Ouija board still?

by cyberjesus 193 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

You do not have to believe in angels or fallen angels to experience the supernatural. Plenty of people don't believe in a deity but have no trouble believing in UFOs.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I find it interesting, that supposed spirit creatures, have social strata, somewhat like humans. This alone tells you the stories about them are a human construct. Why on earth should there be higher and lower orders of spirit creatures, just because humans have created such concepts?

It reminds me of the Hindu caste system and how the Hindu concepts of the afterlife also carry all these social levels of rebirth that one may attain to.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

The way I see it is this.

If you believe in the God of the Bible, then you accept that he did not make all spirit creatures the same.

You have the Celestial order of angels, the Cherubs, the Cherubim and the Seraphs, all with different strengths and capabilities. Why would there not be some kind of social strata for them?

Fallen angels simply denote those who fell from perfection.

• TD
    TD

Ouija board stories have always reminded me of the "Demon stories" Jehovah's Witnesses and kindred groups tell.

Mormons have allegedly brought Watchtower literature into their homes and had all sorts of weird things happen. They've tried to burn the Watchtowers to get rid of them and they wouldn't burn.

Jehovah's Witnesses have very similar stories about Mormon literature and the Book Of Mormon.

--All I can say is the human mind is complex thing.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Jw are pretty good at making demons sound pretty powerful.

Powerful enough to possess a herd of swine and make them stampede off a cliff but not quite powerful enough to move a small planchette on a wooden game board.... without someone's help.

Sometimes these spirits are happy to provide one. But they aren't your friends and can't be trusted.

Is there any chance you might still believe this because you still have remnants of old preconceived opinion as a child that evil spirits hung out around Ouija boards? If not, then what, specifically, are you basing those statements on?

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

SweetBabyCheezits,

Once you have experienced a supernatural phenomenon, there is no going back, you cannot pretend it did not happen just to satisfy the doubters.

Those who doubt want proof but it cannot be replicated on the spot like a science experiment.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    ...cannot pretend it did not happen just to satisfy the doubters.

Just so you know, I'm not wanting to doubt or believe. But the neutral position is to not believe until sufficient evidence is presented.

Once you have experienced a supernatural phenomenon

What constitues sufficient evidence for a "supernatural phenomenon"? Some people, due to superstitious backgrounds, will immediately ascribe a supernatural explanation to a strange unexplained or unexplainable event.

The skeptic or scientist would rather investigate the hell out of such an event to see if there's a reasonable explanation first and only assign a label once it is found. And ultimately, if the event has no clear explanation, it remains unexplained. There may be a hypothesis but no dogmatic assertion that X absolutely caused Y.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Good point SBC:

If you witness a planchette on a ouija board move with someone's hand on it, the reasonable explanation is that the person moved it. If you witness a planchette on a ouija board move with no one's hand on it, then you have an unexplained event.

How does it immediately follow that a demon must have done it? There could be thousands of hypotheses out there that are more reasonable/likely than this. There is no basis for jumping to the conclusion that it moved due to demon influence, other than that is the story we have all been told.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

There is no Santa Claus. (Try a breath mint, SBC.)

The old "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" wheeze? Surely there is more intelligence in here than that?

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

If you witness a planchette on a ouija board move with no one's hand on it, then you have an unexplained event.

Or, more likely, you are hallucinating and it is not an event at all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit