Children of 1975

by d 278 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• designs
    designs

Debator- Get a copy of the original Truth Book from the late 60's and look at the page where the Big Arrow points to 1975. This was removed in later additions.

I was at the lecture given by Fred Franz in 1974 in Los Angeles where he did his famous 'I didn't say what I said' speech.

You are talking to many JWs here who were part of that period, we were coersed by the religion from the top down to go along with 1975 or else be compartmentalized and ostracized. 1975 and the eminence of Armageddon was the message we took to people's doors leading up to 1975. I know, I was a regular pioneer during those years.

• cantleave
    cantleave

DEbator - you obviously wer NOT around in 75, so you know nothing other trhan the lies the WTS spouts. Therefore, you are not qualified to speak on the subject. No go and prepare for your stupid little Sunday meeting.

• joelingeorgia
    joelingeorgia

I was at the Sunutko talks about 75. In 1968 I was 10. I remember counting up how old I would be when the persecution started and hoped that at 17 I would be able to stand bamboo shoots under my fingernails and other forms of torture. So the picture of 1975 in my head was quite vivid.

As 75 approached all of my friends my age dropped out of high school. I was "marked" for not only staying in school, but liking school. There was quite a bit of pressure to pioneer from family, congregation and friends. This didn't really let up immediately after 1975 because the society quickly came out with the "time between Adam and Eve" theory that kept the pressure. on. But it made less and less sense as time went by.

I didn't start college until I moved away from home in 1981. There was no way to go in my home town.

It was an unnecessary lie. We were supposed to be serving God because we loved him not because the end was near. It really sullied the message and left me forever skeptical about "faith".

• designs
    designs

Joel-

The Society's motto: 'Scaring Children For Onehundred Years'

Glad you survived

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

'Joel...G' that's right...I forgot about the adam-eve theory, was it ever in print? I very much remember this being the thought now, I just don't recall if it was in print. I was 20 in 75 and many from our cong left shortly after. I would love to have the time 'taken' given back...( knowledge is power...it is our right to have all available information so we can make an informed decision...not one made for us!!!

• Anyone new comming in contact with JW's should be required to search our history before being baptised.

Sw

• funnyface
    funnyface

Was it an official teaching? No.

YES IT WAS!!!!! The Elders were officials were they not?
    Many,I say MANY!!!!! told me 1975 was the time !!!!!
    they praised me because I gave up my very good job
    to go preach it before they all died( housholders ) Dont tell ME
    it wasnt preached..... I remember it well

• debator
    debator

Hearsay is not proof. That arrow would most likely have been mention of the 6000 years from Adam.

We are not afraid of commiting our Bible drawn beliefs to paper it's the last thing we could be accused of and I'm sorry but 1 arrow in 1 publication which is even less than I thought you could dig up is not going to prove a massive conspiracy theory over 75'

Did a whole lot of Witnesses from the flock to elders run ahead of our teachings? yes. Was it official doctrine? No.

Our official beliefs are in black and white for all too read from 1900's onwards, this is not one of them.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Mouthy - well said, yes the elders are officials. I was only a child, but I saw many adults making life changing decisions in the early 70's. My mother gave up nursing in order to pioneer - I aslo remember her stockpiling tins and toilet rolls!!!!!!!!!

• debator
    debator

Hi cantleave

You also forget the whole nuclear fear that held all of the world in it's grip then. People were digging bunkers as well. Throughout the whole of the 60's 70's was a feeling of impending nuclear doom on the whole world.

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

I have to say...yes I Just Have to Say It…I cannot hold back any longer ... debator is a 'Richard Cranium’ boy do I feel better now.

Sw

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit