Children of 1975

by d 278 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zarco
    zarco

Jehovah's channel of communication :) in our area was Floyd Kite and Angelo Manera. The virtually guaranteed that the Big A was on the way. Nearly every talk, every discussion focused on 1975. My mom moved our family to where the need was greater in 1973 reasoning that we would only have to live there for two years. She sold our home and we left behind dear relatives, friends and opportunities. When the Big A did not come, I swore to never believe them again although I stayed "in" until a couple of years ago. I think the financial pressure that results from living with a two year time horizon coupled with leaving a strong support system of family, friends and jobs took a severe toll on my mom. She never was the same person again. She began to break down physically and mentally starting in 1976. Obviously people can and do recover from being lied to and the trauma associated with realizing that what you thought was God's Channel was a bunch of ignorant, evil men... but I do hate them for what they did to her.

Best,

zarco

• Violia
    Violia

wrong Ninja. the kids of 75 hoped to be alive come what may, Big A or life goes on.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    The watchtowers do not support your point that this was established doctrine

Nobody is arguing that Armageddon in 1975 was 'established doctrine'. The WT was too slippery for that. They led us to believe it without making it 'established doctrine', and always putting in loopholes.

What they did was put emphasis on their speculations, cast aspersions on the characters of Dubs who didn't sit up and take notice of these speculations, praised those that sold their homes and went pioneering on the basis of their speculations, and hammered it from the pulpits where there was no record of the insanity, except for the like of the Sunutko tape that was propagated worldwide.

That doesn't make their behaviour excusable, moral, or provide evidence of devine guidance.

The Moonies did almost exactly the same thing. Instead of some amazing celestial event, all they got was was a rain storm that wrecked their venue and sent them all home saturated, but nothing was in writing, so they could rationalise it away the same way your pathetic little cult does with 1975. They don't have devine guidance any more, or less, than you do.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Another example with me was my father sold the family home in 1974 believing that the end was right around the corner and that what was the sense to have these extra financial burdens going into the "great tribulation". He was told by the society that the economic system was about to collapse, so it would be prudent to then put more effort into the preaching work. My dad is an old man now and I know he regrets getting rid of his life investment. If he would have at least have waited till he retired and then sell the home, my parents would now be financially secure. Instead they have to rely on other family members for support. So don't tell me that this was not from the Watchtower as thousands like my dad were mislead. Is the Watchtower now going to support all these people they lied to? Its now tough luck you are on your own as the GB and Watchtower are sitting on billion dollar real estate that the R&F JW's all bought and paid for.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Debator,

I'm not looking to argue with you but I would like your honest input if you have time.

As a young fella (32), I wasn't too familiar with the 1975 excitement until later in life. I now have a different take on it than you, obviously, but I put together a document for my brother, an elder, who is pretty level-headed. Before I send it to him, I'd like to see where it leads from a JW perspective. (Many of these references have already been quoted on this thread, but not all.)

Honestly, I will probably remove my comments in red (so as not to influence with my thoughts) and leave articles (and my highlights) in the order shown for progression. If you choose to read it, do so with that in mind please.

Thanks,

SBC

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/85277/1975.doc

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

That was very good SBC.

I have it saved.

It backs up my previous post very well.

Thanks

Chris

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

How much closer can you get to saying 1975 was a marked year as Fred Franz referred to the date in his book "Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God". He speaks of 1975 being the end of the 6 thousand years of human existence. He said "According to this trustworthy Bible chronology six thousand years from man's creation will end in 1975, and the seventh period of a thousand years of human history will begin in the fall of 1975 C.E." On page 19 of the October 8, 1966 Awake, they refer again to 1975 as the end of the six thousand years and then on the top of page 20 they say, "It means that within relatively few years we will witness the fulfillment of the remaining prophecies that have to do with the "time of the end." So what do they mean by "a few years"? Ten years, 20 years now 44 years later and the society say they never set a date? There is much more and the eye witness testimony that in a court of law would be enough evidence to charge someone criminally, yet it is just a few disgruntled ex witnesses that are lying.

• Ding
    Ding

Vindication, Book One, p. 339 (1931): "There was a measure of disappointment on the part of Jehovah's faithful ones on earth concerning the years 1914, 1918, and 1925, which disappointment lasted for a time. Later the faithful learned that these dates were definitely fixed in the Scriptures; and they also learned to quit fixing dates for the future and predicting what would come to pass on a certain date..."

Watchtower, 8/15/1968, p. 494: "Why Are You Looking Forward to 1975?"

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

concerning the years 1914, 1918, and 1925

Glad you brought those dates up as well DING

These were other years postulated by the WTS that were also date years to draw the publics attention.

The fact remains the Faithful Discrete Slave as they recognize themselves are really book editors/publishing executives

of a religious publishing company.

Wake up and smell the coffee Debator

• thetrueone

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit