by d 278 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dysfunction
    dysfunction

To debator,

Answer the top post please

thanks

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I was in the second grade in the Fall of 1975.

At such an impressionable age, I was super scared of the Great Tribulation but looked forward to the day I could pet the lions! I remember sitting at the KH and looking at the door, imagining all of us barracaded inside while the police tried to break down our doors. I remember thinking stones and fire would fall from the sky and that I or my family could be an accidental death. But, that it would be just like going to sleep and we'd awaken on the other side to a wonderful, new world.

When 1976 came, we stayed up until mid-night. For, it was the bi-centennial and we lived in New England where bi-centennials was a super important event. It was frickin cold, snow everywhere, and we (and another JW family) were lighting fireworks (they had a worldy father). I remember asking my mother if the end of the world wasn't going to happen now that it wasn't 1975. She said that the end could still happen and perhaps the date(s) were a little wrong. I remember this clearly. LOL. But, I didn't live in fear in 1976. By 1977-1983ish, my parents really weren't attending the KH as fervently.

***Terry & Thetrueone***Thanks for your posts!

• Ding
    Ding

Debator,

Hearsay means, "I didn't experience this myself; I'm getting my information second-hand."

People on this forum DID experience the 1975 predictions and hype.

You are the one getting your information second-hand.

Also, the nearness of Armageddon is NOT what Russell preached.

He proclaimed that it was HERE, that the Great War in Europe WAS Armageddon.

• Ding
    Ding

Debator,

I forgot to ask my usual question, which you never seem to answer.

Since the Watchtower has been wrong so many times, why do they insist on disfellowshipping JWs who disagree with them?

• dysfunction
    dysfunction

Excellent question Ding....

• Violia
    Violia

If you are at least 45 you would be able to remember 1975 vividly. There are a lot of us here that are older than that, we were atually adults in 75, adults with children of our own. I know several brothers who like Terry served time in Seagoville ,

You can say anything stupid thing you want, but we were there and that TRUMPS your stupid musings.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

OK debator I will ask you to address this one more time.

If you do not respond I & most people on this forum will have the proof they need that:

You were not a JW in the years leading up to 1975 & you never experienced first hand what happened.

Please do not bleat your usual 'they didn't link 1975 with Armageddon' response.

Awake,5/22/69,pg15

'If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. .....all evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. ....as a young person you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in high school and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way toward its finish, if not actually gone!'

Q. What year was the article written?

A. It was written in 1969

Q. What was the article telling young people?

A. 'you will never grow old in this present system of things'

Q. What was this 1969 Awake discouraging young people from doing?

A. If you are in high school and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career.

Q. Why was this Awake article discouraging their young readers from pursuing a college education?

A. 'But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way toward its finish, if not actually gone!'

Q What was the intention of this article published by the WBTS?

A. To lead to their young followers to the conclusion that four, six or even eight years further education was a waste of time because 'this system of things would at least be on its last legs,..............IF NOT ACTUALLY GONE!

Q. What does this Awake article published by the WBTS lead its readers to expect?

A. That this old system would be gone by at the latest 1977

• debator
    debator

Hi Isaac

I am talking about the true Christians that (despite the trinitarian 1500 year deathhold on religious doctrine) were able to recognise and tell others about revealed bible truths since the early Christians.

Hi jookbeard

If you look at history many people questioned trinity and various man-made doctrines used in religion but they were doing so under the threat of death and imprisonment (arius lost his defence of bible truths and he died and all his papers destroyed with many followers of those teachings from the bible). But once the threat was lifted 200 years ago to a great degree, we were able to really look at the Bible and find out what God's word actually teaches straight from 1st century mouths for ourselves. Russell and his fellow Bible students rediscovered unique Bible truths that mark us as very different from trinity-based faiths.

So there were honest-hearted Christians that saw pure bible truths from Jehovah despite the "delusion" on Christendom.

Hi the finger

Your just making assumptions they have never said Armageddon had to happen on the exact date after the creative day ended but that it would hopefully happen soon after (which we still say now)

Hi dysfuntion

If your mum saw witnesses selling houses yet didn't join till after 75 then she was seeing them do it for a different reason.

Hi Ding

A lot is hearsay when they say "I know such and such person did this". Others are personal but subjective experience which is not reliable like the story were you have 7 blind men describing various parts of an elephant. We know the watchtowers didn't make dfefinite doctrinal connection between the 6000 years and Armageddon they use "hopeful" terms. The enthusiasm that swept through the Witnesses isn't denied but it was the People themselves running Ahead in their enthusiasm.

Some on here were just children remembering parents being enthusiastic and others in congregations where they have seen full-on enthusasm by members of the congregation. But to this day we expect Armageddon at anytime soon and that hasn't changed.

Are you expecting me to answer that fallacy loaded question? Witnesses have been refined on prophecy and a few culturally forced changes but our main doctrines have remain unchanged since our start and remain very right. Atm I consider the Jehovah's Witnesses the most Biblically right religion going by a mile and half.

Hi Viola

You are remembering the over-enthusiasm not an actual doctrinal teaching the '75 will definitely be Armageddon. They are not scared of putting chonological dates in publications. 1914 proves this so they would have put it down definitely not just saying things like "maybe, hopefully"

Hi heart of boy.

a/ The date it is written is irrelevent you are reading 75 into because it is before 75 but it makes no mention of 75. You are simply reading it into it.

b/ never growing old was atsandard expression when we thought "generation" was only one group of people and so within their lifetime. again nothing to do with '75 ("generation" again)

c/ Not pushing for worldly goals inc education is again a standard line nothing to do with 75. (ask blondie how much we mention it!)

d/ Again emphasising we are in the last days with the emphasis on the "generation" teaching.

e/ Again just the standard Party line of "it will be soon"

f/ The year is not mentioned but the readers would have believed the within "generation" teaching at that time and clearly thought it would be soon.

If you put this forwards as a representative article of Witnesses originally thinking that Armageddon would happen within the "generation" of the group that saw 1914 I would have agreed with you. but you are simply being dishonest trying to put it on '75.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

-bator:

Hi Isaac

I am talking about the true Christians that (despite the trinitarian 1500 year deathhold on religious doctrine) were able to recognise and tell others about revealed bible truths since the early Christians.

My reply: Ok. That certainly would not be Jehovah's Witnesses.

• The Finger
    The Finger

Debator,

It was their teaching of a 7000 year creative day. I would never have assumed it had they not taught it.

Knowing the situation in the organization what mad man would have produced a book in 1974 and stated the start date of the 7th creative day having us study it in 1975 if they did not want people to think that the end was in 1975 remembering that the book was titled Gods Eternal Purpose NOW Triumphing. They even give the date of half way through the creative day.

I would either have to not accept the statement in the book of 4026 as the start day or disregard the idea of a 7000 year long creative day that they were teaching.The creative day would not end until the 1000 year reign of Christ ended and we had almost 6000 years of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit