How to Pray?

by brotherdan 63 Replies latest watchtower bible

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

I wanted to list a few perspectives the Jews had on prayer and how we can benefit from it.

You wanted to? Really? Well bless your heart, brotherdan!

I'm feeling pretty upbuilt today by this thread

Not so fast, "brother."

Problem is, "your" perspectives were lifted word-for-word from the sermon, "The Purpose of Prayer," dated November 11, 1979 by (famous pastor) John F. MacArthur, Jr.

brotherdan, you are thief and a hypocrite. If anyone here should be on their knees praying, it should be YOU begging forgiveness for your deliberate deception.

~Sue

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Loz x

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

While Dan didn't mention WHERE he was learning this from, he does mention that he learned it:

I've been learning a bit about the early Jews perspective on prayer and how it applied to Jesus' model prayer in Matthew 6. It's facinating to me. Sometimes I forget how important prayer is to the Christian in more than just asking for things and thanking God for things. I wanted to list a few perspectives the Jews had on prayer and how we can benefit from it.
  • journey-on
    journey-on

Oh, for heaven's sake, betterdaze. I think most of us in discussion on this thread were aware brotherdan had found some material that resonated with him and felt compelled to share it with us. Yes, he probably should have posted a link(s) to it, but I didn't get the impression that he was intentionally plagerizing anybody. He embraced the material, assimilated it into his own views, and shared it with us.

• cantleave
    cantleave

My favourite prayer:

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the Tricolor
    I must fear evil, for I am but mortal and mortals can only die
    Asking questions, pleading answers
    From the nameless faceless watchers
    That parade the carpeted corridors of Whitehall

Who orders desecration, mutilation
    Verbal masturbation in the guarded bureaucratic wombs
    Minister, Minister care for your children
    Order them not into damnation
    To eliminate those who would trespass against you
    For whose is the kingdom, the power, the glory for ever and ever

Amen, Amen, Amen, Amen, Amen

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I think most of us in discussion on this thread were aware brotherdan had found some material that resonated with him ...

I knew.

Syl

• streets76
    streets76

"I'm praying for you." <-- How to pretend you are helping or giving a shit while doing absolutely nothing,

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

Yes, I knew it was from a solid Bible teacher brotherdan read the info from to share with us. I don't think he claimed to take credit for himself or to mislead others.

Great topic brotherdan, I really needed to see something like this today. I appreciate you sharing it with us.

JWN is where I get my fellowship too.

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

I don't know streets76, I'm sure some people do that, but when I say I'll pray for someone I do it.

• streets76
    streets76

NiceDrean: My point (or part of it) is that praying for someone is the same thing as doing nothing to help them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit