How to Pray?

by brotherdan 63 Replies latest watchtower bible

• snowbird
    snowbird
    It's a form of deep respect, although I don't think it is a required position.

It is not required, thankfully.

I, too, have bad knees.

Matthew 6:6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. NIV

This is a great topic, Brother D.

Syl

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Thanks, journey-on. There are even MORE facets to this prayer that I've been analyzing!

The prayer could be divided simply into three elements that deal with God, and then three more elements that deal wtih man.The first three God's glory, the second three man's need.

"Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done." That's the glory of GOD.

The second three are MAN's need, "Give us our daily bread. Forgive us our debts, and lead us not into temptation."

When you pray you set God in His rightful place! Then everything else flows out of it. All prayer is to begin with the character of God, "Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done." You are then putting God in His supreme place, and when God is first, prayer makes sense.

Another way to look at it, the first three show the purpose in prayer. Number one, to hallow the name of God, number two, to bring in His Kingdom, number three, to do His will. That's the purpose of prayer. It is saying, "God, I'm coming to You in order that Your name might be hallowed, in order that Your Kingdom might come, in order that Your will might be done. And what is the mean by which His name is hallowed, His Kingdom is lifted up and His will is done? First, by giving us our daily bread, that's provision, second by pardoning our sins, that's pardon, third by leading us not into temptation, that's protection. As God provides, pardons and protects He consequently is exalted in His glory, in His Kingdom and in His will.

Another way to look at it, first of all God is a Father, "Our Father, Hallowed be thy name." Then He is a King, "Thy kingdom come." Then He is a Master, "Thy will be done."

As a Father, verse 11 He gives us our daily bread, He is the source. As a King, He forgives our debts and pardons us. As a Master, He leads us not into temptation. The elements, the wonders, the beauties of this particular model of prayer are almost infinite.

Only the mind of God could have conceived such far reaching incredible thoughts to be compressed into this little tiny section of Scripture. No man could ever have done it. Prayer is never an attempt to bend the will of God to my desire; prayer is to bend me to fit the will of God. And when I acknowledge God as sovereign, and when I say God give me my daily bread only if it gives You Your hallowed name, and God may my sins be pardoned only if that exalts Your Kingdom, and God lead me not into temptation if that let's You be the Master in my life, I am bending my will toward God's will.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I'm not a church person. The last place of worship I stepped foot into was the KH about 3 years ago. I was invited by a very sweet elderly sister and I went for her joy. But, it was so surreal and almost eerie. Everyone seemed like stepford wives and the spiritual food was spoiled and runny like pablum.

"Where there are two or three gathered together in my name, there I will be." There are more than two or three right here on this board!

• Terry
    Terry

I've always been fascinated by the amount of ego various religious groups display when importuning their deity!

Americans seem to be equals with God and Muslims are extremely submissive.

Jews "bob":

Megachurch members do it with lots of pizzaz and money!

Industrialized nations manufacture machines that do their praying for them!! Each revolution of the wheel = one prayer uttered!

While others prefer mindless and endless repetition with beads:

Imagine telling your child who is suffering and distraught that they have to engage in a ritual approach saying certain words a certain way before you will deign to listen and that there is no guarantee you'll do a damn thing!

1. Hitchens: Don't Trouble 'Deaf Heaven' With Prayers for Me ...
  • PSacramento
    PSacramento
    "Where there are two or three gathered together in my name, there I will be." There are more than two or three right here on this board!

You're a good person Journey :)

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    I don't want to go to my parents KH or my sisters, but the thing is, I feel out of sorts going to a church, I really do.

The thing is is that we've been programmed to feel uncomfortable in churches. I enjoy listening to sermons online ocassionally. And it helps me to see that all churches are different. Some DO have pastors that are hypocritical. But that's not them all. There seem to be ALOT that have some GREAT Bible teachers. There is a Baptist church near my house that posts their sermons online every week, and the pastor is fantastic at sticking to the Bible and teaching it really well.

The point is is that there will never be a church or group that we agree with completely. It's the nature of diverse Christianity. But we can find a place where it is ok to agree and disagree with thiongs.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

It's true, Terry. That's why Christians should look to the Bible for how to worship. It does not need to be with "pizzaz" or with endless repetition. All prayer really is is personal communion with our Father. We are NOT equals. But he allows us to approach Him due to grace.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    Imagine telling your child who is suffering and distraught that they have to engage in a ritual approach saying certain words a certain way before you will deign to listen and that there is no guarantee you'll do a damn thing!
    Sorry, Terry. I CAN'T imagine that. Nobody on this thread claimed that.
  • brotherdan
    brotherdan

Maybe that's why I'm feeling pretty upbuilt today by this thread, Journey! Thanks for that thought!

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

When you talk to someone you love, you express your feelings for them and about them in what you say...well I do anyway...I really dont want to be pre rehearsed in any way...that would feel contrived and a bit 'false' for me....

Loz x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit