How to Pray?

by brotherdan 63 Replies latest watchtower bible

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Have any of you guys studied anything on the importance of posture during prayer? Obviously we can talk to God at any time, but it is interesting that the posture of kneeling has a special importance to Jews and Christians.

Daniel prayed on his knees three times a day (Dan 6:10)

Stephen fell on his knees and talked to the Lord before he died as a martyr (Acts 7:60)

and Peter knelt down before the corpse of Tabitha, prayed for her and she came back to life (Acts 9:40; see also Acts 20:36; Eph 3:14).

Sometimes the person placed the head on the knees while praying (1 Kgs 1:13). Kneeling was a ritual expression of the willing surrender of the life of the worshiper to God. By kneeling down the worshipers went voluntarily down to the dust, from which humans were created, surrendering their lives to the Lord in prayer (2 Kgs 1:13).

Plus, Jesus encouraged kneeling in a private place when praying in Matthew 6.

Also, Luke 5:12 says, "And it came to pass, when he was in a certain city, behold a man full of leprosy: who seeing Jesus fell on his face, and besought him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.

A verse showing how did the leper prayed/asked/requested Jesus to be cleansed.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

To genuflect [genu flectere, geniculare (post-classic), to bend the knee; Greek gonu klinein or kamptein] expresses:

• an attitude
    • a gesture: involving, like prostration, a profession of dependence or helplessness, and therefore very naturally adopted for praying and for worship in general.

"The knee is made flexible by which the offence of the Lord is mitigated, wrath appeased, grace called forth" (St. Ambrose, Hexaem., VI, ix). "By such posture of the body we show forth our humbleness of heart" (Alcuin, De Parasceve). "The bending of the knee is an expression of penitence and sorrow for sins committed" (Rabanus Maurus, De Instit. Cler., II, xli).

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I have bad knees :(

I don't kneel when I pray, I don't do anything in particular at all, I can pray/talk sitting, lying down, just before going to sleep, driving in the car, etc.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Yeah, not trying to make it sound like you HAVE to do anything while praying. But I like that we can turn prayer into a physically special time before God. Sometimes our posture can affect how we pray. I have a huge problem with falling asleep during prayers at night. So I HAVE to sit up and not lay down while praying.

The few times that I have gotten on my knees before the Lord, it was a special time. It felt bizarre and different. But it made me feel lowly before Him, which is how we should feel to some degree.

• snowbird
    snowbird

A wise lady once commented, "We need more kneeology and less theology."

Amen.

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Syl
    I love your spirit, thanks for sharing it

Syl

• journey-on
    journey-on

Kneeling probably shows a submission to His will and an acceptance and acknowledgement of the Divine power. We humble ourselves before this power by kneeling. It's a form of deep respect, although I don't think it is a required position.

brotherdan, I enjoyed the way you described it in your post 1559 above. I never thought about all the various relational facets described in this short prayer. I say the Lord's Prayer often, and I try to focus on the meaning and various levels I get from the order of the words. It's a beautiful thing.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I wish there were more Christians on this site. Nothing against the atheist/agnostic crowd. It's just nice to share faith with others. I mean, it's not like I can fellowship with other Christians. I can't go to a church. I can only go to the kingdom hall. So this board is the only Christian fellowship I get..

• Inkie
    Inkie

You all have said some very interesting, kind, and true things. However, let us not forget the words of Our Lord himself, who said:

You (singular), however, when you (singular) pray, go into your (singular) private room, and after shutting your (singular) door, pray to your (singular) Father who is in secret. . . .”—Matthew 6:6

We must pray in the manner He directed, which is so often different than from what the Jews or our own religious leaders have taught us. Recognize that we have no leaders, except Christ himself.

I am also reminded of what Our Lord stated at Luke 6:46:

“Why, then do you call me ‘Lord’! ‘Lord’! but do not do the things I say?

--Inkie

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I wish there were more Christians on this site. Nothing against the atheist/agnostic crowd. It's just nice to share faith with others. I mean, it's not like I can fellowship with other Christians. I can't go to a church. I can only go to the kingdom hall. So this board is the only Christian fellowship I get..

I share this feeling with you my Dan, I am n ot part of a church, though I think we may be joing out local RCC because my daughter goes to a Catholic school and wants to try out this "communion thing".

I don't want to go to my parents KH or my sisters, but the thing is, I feel out of sorts going to a church, I really do.

I don't agree with all this is being said and done and feel very hypocritical about it.

Inkie makes a great point, BUT I think that passage from Matthew wasn't so much a "How to pray" thing but showing that private and sincere praying is valued far more by God than public and hypoctritical praying.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit