How to Pray?

by brotherdan 63 Replies latest watchtower bible

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Well all need it, Undercover. Matthew 5:3 says that those poor in spirit (or those that know they NEED the spirit) will inherit the kingdom. Whether we choose to accept it or not, we ALL need God.

• undercover
    undercover
    Well all need it, Undercover. Matthew 5:3 says blah blah blabedy blah...

You do realize that using the Bible as your point of proof to people who don't accept the Bible as inspired, holy or anything other than a historical piece of literature is circular reasoning, right?

You might as well try to prove to me that I need faith by reading qoutes from Lord of the Rings...

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Yeah, I know. But I believe it and it's the basis for what I feel. Whether you choose to accept it or not has nothing to do with me. I'll always throw it out there. If you don't want it, then throw it away.

But it IS God's Word. And it's there for anyone who wants to take it. I refuse to NOT use the Bible in conversation because you don't like it. It's part of WHO I am.

• undercover
    undercover
    Yeah, I know. But I believe it and it's the basis for what I feel. Whether you choose to accept it or not has nothing to do with me. I'll always throw it out there. If you don't want it, then throw it away.
    But it IS God's Word. And it's there for anyone who wants to take it. I refuse to NOT use the Bible in conversation because you don't like it. It's part of WHO I am.

It's perfectly fine that it's part of who you are. I accept it as part of you.

But don't be "discouraged" when you're rebuked for always throwing it out there. And it's not just throwing it out there...it's the assumption of your viewpoint, belief or faith as fact that causes some to sit up and say, "wait a minute...". Your assumption is that you KNOW and that you're RIGHT which comes across as self-righteous and condescending.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Well you know me, undercover. I'm not trying to be self righteous or condescending. And I don't get discouraged by Atheists. I get discouraged by anger and ridicule. Ridicule is not disagreeing with me or the Bible. But it is judging me as less intelligent because of my faith, or the fact that I believe the Bible to be God's word.

That being said, I don't want any Atheist to think that I am saying that THEY are unintelligent because of their unbelief. But like I said, I'll throw out my scriptures, and you can take it or leave it. They just are a big part of my arguments.

• undercover
    undercover

I getcha, BD. Not everyone will, at least until they get to know you.

but don't worry about it. Go to Hawaii or someplace and have some fun...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

As I see it, there are 7 3 things to pray about. The first 3 are about Jehovah's things--and he will always get them, whether you pray for them or not. Note that none of them directly benefit you, and that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag will always find a way to grant those three items in such a way as to not benefit you personally.

The next 4 items are for your own needs, and Jehovah usually sees fit to either grudgingly get out of the way and let you get them yourself, or totally block you from ever getting them. Either way, that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag gets any credit, even if your own hard work and extra work to make up for Jehovah's interference is the sole reason you got them.

Or, you can refuse to pray to that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag at all. You may or may not get the item through your own work, but at least that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag will not get the credit.

• caliber
    caliber

Journey-on

Words (spoken or thought) have power and vibration, and adding emotional energy to them and right intention increases their effectiveness

Which is why God understands "the language of tears " .

This whole concept of electro-magnetic energy makes the realization of God reading our thoughts much more inspiring !

It has been said that qualities such as love, hate, joy, faith are merely abstract qualities ; they have no existence of their own .

Atoms move and therefore have power and life (or at least some form of energy )

• Terry
    Terry
    Imagine telling your child who is suffering and distraught that they have to engage in a ritual approach saying certain words a certain way before you will deign to listen and that there is no guarantee you'll do a damn thing!

Sorry, Terry. I CAN'T imagine that. Nobody on this thread claimed that.

Well, I had in mind what Jesus himself said which indicates you actually have to DO SOMETHING correctly rather than call upon him:

Matthew 7:21-23 (New International Version)

21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23 Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'
  • journey-on
    journey-on

Here's the thing, Terry. You do have to DO SOMETHING. You have to form a bond. When this bond is formed, you begin to recognize the divine movement in your life, God's Will for lack of a better term. Then, you do things, not from your own ego, but from your will becoming one with His will. It's a beautiful thing.

Added: Faith is not passive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit