How to Pray?

by brotherdan 63 Replies latest watchtower bible

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I've been learning a bit about the early Jews perspective on prayer and how it applied to Jesus' model prayer in Matthew 6. It's facinating to me. Sometimes I forget how important prayer is to the Christian in more than just asking for things and thanking God for things. I wanted to list a few perspectives the Jews had on prayer and how we can benefit from it.

Fist, they thought prayer should incorporate love and praise. When you go to God there should to be a sense of His worthiness and a loving adoration and praise, and they got this out of the Psalms. The Psalmist says in Psalm 34:2 , "I will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Unceasingly will I offer praise." The loving adoration of God. In Psalm 51:17 , "O Lord," it says, "open my lips, and my mouth shall show forth thy praise." They believed that love and praise was apart of their expression of prayer.

Secondly, they felt that prayer should incorporate gratitude or thanksgiving. Part of prayer was the offering of thanks, of deep gratitude. In fact there are many verses on this in the Old Testament, but the rabbis summed them up with an amazing thought. They said , "All prayers will someday be discontinued, except the prayers of thanksgiving." They were right! When the day comes that we have no more to ask for we will have everything to be thankful for. And so their prayers incorporated thanksgiving.

Thirdly, the Jewish people believed that their prayers should incorporate a sense of God's holiness, a sense of awe, a sense of reverence. They did not rush into the presence of God flippantly; they did not treat God as if He were a man. They went very reverently, they realized that when they entered into prayer they came face to face with God. Isaiah expressed this amazingly well in Isaiah chapter six when he said, " all he can say is, "I am a Man of unclean lips, and I dwell amidst a people of unclean lips; and I have seen the LORD." A sense of awe, a sense of holiness.

Another thing, the Jews felt that in their prayers there should be a patent desire to obey God, that you didn't pray unless your heart was really right. You didn't go to God in some ritualistic form, in some superficial shallow approach where you really weren't committed to respond to that communion with obedience. The whole of Psalm 119 affirms this over and over in all those verses it just keeps saying things like, "My tongue will sing of thy word, for thy commandments are right." In other words there was this affirmation that to respond to God was proper.

One of the best things that Jews had was a desire for prayer to be unselfish. The Jews had a sense of community that I don't think that we really understand, they had a sense of the national, they were a theocracy ruled by God, and the nation was essential. I think the very fact that Israel still exists as a nation and that there are still pure Jewish people today shows you how vitally they have clung to the preservation of that national identity. But they believed in the community, theirs were prayers that encompassed the whole, they were not isolated out to the indiĀ­vidual. For example, the rabbis had a very interesting prayer, this is what they prayed, "Hear not 0 Lord the prayer of the traveler." What does that mean?

Now what is the one thing you pray for when you go on vacation? Good weather, right? The rabbis said, Lord don't hear that prayer, because that's one guy on one trip, he may be praying for a fair day and everybody in that part of the world knows their crops need rain. Lord, don't do something for somebody that messes up what needs to be done for the majority. Now that's a great perspective in prayer. Because most of us come to the Lord with a whole lot of personal pronouns, I, I, I, me, me, me, my, my, my. And we pray these isolated prayers, Lord, do this for me, Lord, I have to have this, Lord, my needs are such, Lord, I'm having this problem. And so when a Jew would go to prayer, a true believing Jew in the Old Testament he would say Lord, You do what advances Your cause among Your people, not what I want personally.

Finally, an element of their prayers was humility, humility. A true Jew was coming into prayer; watch this, to submit himself to the will of God. The greatest illustration of this from the heart of the truest Jew that ever lived is the very prayer of the Lord Jesus in the garden when He set aside what seemed to Him to be the most comfortable thing and said, "Nevertheless, not my will, but THY will, be done." That is the heart of the truest prayer. Lord, I'm here to do Your will, I want to line myself up with that. Prayer is not asking God to do my will it is bringing myself into conformity with His will. It is asking Him to do His will and give me the grace to enjoy it.

Sorry for the long post, I just thought that the jewish perspective of prayer was FASCINATING!

• snowbird
    snowbird

Fascinating, indeed, Brother Dan.

Whenever I have "I" trouble when it comes to praying, I reflect on Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane.

Mark 14:32 They went to a place called Gethsemane, and Jesus said to his disciples, "Sit here while I pray." 33 He took Peter, James and John along with him, and he began to be deeply distressed and troubled. 34 "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death," he said to them. "Stay here and keep watch."

35 Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. 36 "Abba, Father," he said, "everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will." NIV

Spoken like a true Jew.

What an example!

Syl

• journey-on
    journey-on
    "Nevertheless, not my will, but THY will, be done."

Never leave that phrase out! Key. (I love the Jews.)

So many people just pray FOR things. Prayer, however, is a communion, a conversation, a means to form a relationship. Over time that relationship grows and it is not one-sided. Words (spoken or thought) have power and vibration, and adding emotional energy to them and right intention increases their effectiveness.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I just talk to him.

Loz x

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Exactly, the Pharisees eventually messed up the process of prayer that the Jews had and made prayer to be something to give themselves honor. They would pray in front of men so that they would look good before God.

The more I read the Lord's prayer, the deeper it seems to me. There are so many facets to it. One shows our relationship with God. For example, Jesus starts by saying, "Our Father," which shows that we have a Father-child relationship with God. It says, "Hallowed by thy name," we have a deity and worshiper relationship with God. It says, "Thy kingdom come," We have a sovereign and a subject relationship with God. It syas, "Thy will be done," we have a Master and a servant relationship with God. It says, "Give us our daily bread." We have a benefactor and a beneficiary relationship with God. It says, "forgive us our trespasses (or debts)," we have a Savior sinner relationship with God. It says, "Lead us not into temptation," we have a guide and a pilgrim relationship with God.

And that's just analyzing the prayer to show our relationship. We can analyze it MUCH further in different ways. I t defines the spirit in which we're to pray. What is to be our attitude as we pray? First of all it says, "Our," that's an unselfish spirit, then it says, "Father," that's a family spirit, then it says, "Hallowed be thy name." A reverent spirit. "Thy kingdom come." A loyal spirit. "Thy will be done," a submissive spirit. "Give us our daily bread." A dependent spirit. "Forgive us our trespasses," a repentant spirit. "Lead us not into temptation," a humble spirit. "Thine is the kingdom," a confident spirit, "and the power," a triumphant spirit, "and the glory," an exultant spirit.

SO many more ways to look at this prayer. And yet in just 66 words, Jesus taught us, in an INFINATE way how to model our prayers. The brevity of this model prayer and it's implications are so amazing to me.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Just talking to him is GREAT. But there is so much more to be learned by Jesus model prayer. If we don't know HOW to pray, then we can pray incorrectly. That's what the disciples asked in Matthew 6. They said, "HOW should we pray?" They didn't ask for a prayer to merely be repeated. Although that's what many do with this prayer. I don't think it's wrong to repeat this prayer, but there is so much more to it than using it as something to just repeat.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Luke 11:1 One day he was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said, "Master, teach us to pray just as John taught his disciples." 2-4 So he said, "When you pray, say,

Father,
    Reveal who you are.
    Set the world right.
    Keep us alive with three square meals.
    Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
    Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil." MSG

Amen and amen.

Syl

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

When I pray, the first thing I do is Thank God, for his love, forgiveness and grace that comes through Our Lord and Saviour Jesus.

I thank jesus for his sacrifice and his love and his teachings.

I ask them to fill us full of their love and strength, to help us to be better people, more loving of each other and ourselves.

I ask for strength to deal with life, I ask for Our Daily Bread and I ask it for ALL of us and in the name of Jesus and into His hands I commit my spirit and life and ask that Jesus lead me and show me the path I must take that day.

Then there are times when I just sit and talk with them and those are very loving times, very special times.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Then there are times when I just sit and talk with them and those are very loving times, very special times.

Agreed.

I like doing this in the early morning hours, such as this am, while I admired a full harvest moon.

Syl

• Quando
    Quando

Syl

I love your spirit, thanks for sharing it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit