I didn't even know i WAS an apostate!

by GrandmaJones 71 Replies latest jw experiences

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

Lots of greatd advice NOT to do anything but sit back and not rock the boat. You have put a long time in the org. Play ignorance for now until your emotions settle. Then you can start thinking of what YOU would like to do. There are lots here who can help and be your sounding board. Hang in there and come back often. ((hugs))

• laverite
    laverite

Bumping this up to help Grandma Jones find her thread. No updates from her so a bit concerned.

• agonus
    agonus

Well, the Governing Body don't know they're apostates. And, according to their own criteria for apostasy, they're the biggest apostates of all, except maybe for that Jesus guy.

Reasoning with these people is like negotiating with terrorists. No matter what you do, you can't win.

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

Wow, what a show of support, and thank you for the advice. I am a very emotional person, and tend to wear my heart right out there, so my first instinct is to BLAB! You are all absolutely right. there is much to lose for me, so much at stake, and I am too emotional and upset to think straight. I have decided to do nothing at all for several months. I am not even going to try and decide anything. I related to so much of what you all said. I will continue to attend meetings, maybe missing a few here and there, can't drive when it snows (that part is true enough) and calm down and settle into this. it is true, with my years in the truth, no one is alarmed at the things I say. I won't upset the apple cart. My mom is nearly 90 just like Wobble's mom, and at my age, with all my family in, I just have to think this over carefully as to what, if any, action is appropriate to take. I will continue to watch, listen, and lurk here, a post a little. I can't thank you all enough for bringing me up short, and making me think about what to do. Without you, I'd probably be telling the elders this weekend. (Don't worry, now I won't)

I don't know how to say this next part. I was always a little afraid of apostates. You know, like the bogyman. (Watch out, he's gonna getcha!) How strange and wonderful to find out how nice, how thoughtful, generous are so-called apostates! Turns out to be a pretty great group.

• agonus
    agonus

Like I said: The Governing Body are bigger apostates than half the folks here.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Get a Tuba..It will Cheer you Up!..

http://slog.thestranger.com/files/2008/11/tuba.jpg

........................... ...OUTLAW

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Welcome GrandmaJones!

Remember, you can't be disfellowshipped for not attending meetings, or for not going out in service. So be true to yourself. If you want to go to meetings to see friends, then go for it. If you don't, then don't. There's no need to explain to anybody, or to lie.

There is only one lie you will have to tell in order to avoid being shunned. When/if two elders sit you down and ask you whether you consider yourself a Jehovah's Witness, whether you believe that the Governing Body is God's channel today, you'll have to say yes.

This is a sad reality, and I hope it never goes this far for you.

I'm sure your kids and grandkids are your most important priority in life. So just love them as hard as you can, and they'll love you back. And I'm pretty sure at least a couple of them are having doubts about the organizational system too, so be a hearing ear and open-minded ma and grandma for them if you ever pick up on it.

By the way, you're right, you do only have 10 posts a day in the beginning, but it soon goes up to a hundred. Hope to hear from you a lot more.

Love to you.

Q

• flipper
    flipper

GRANDMA JONES- It's so nice to have you here my friend. I know it's difficult right now because of information you've found out- but in time it will get better- I promise. I was born and raised in the witnesses from birth too- stopped attending meetings in 2003 after 44 years in from birth. Injustices inside the organization made me stop. Then after exiting the research I found verified I made the right choice. Like yourself- I have aged JW parents 85 & 83 who have been in the witnesses 60 years now. All 3 of my older siblings are in it , yet my 25 yr.old son is not, he got out at age 18. 2 of my daughters 23 & 22 ( regular pioneers shun me ) although I'm not DFed.

My parents respect my decision to not attend and they love my non-witness wife too. My older siblings may not agree - but respect my stand. I have JW nieces & nephews ( 8 total , 22 to 36 yrs.of age ) 4 stopped attending, 4 still go. I get along great with most all of the nieces & nephews !

Point I'm making is you may experience mixed reactions from some of your family members . The " strong " witnesses may become really concerned, whereas the " not so fanatic " middle of the road witnesses will respect your choices. As some posters said , you don't need to explain anything to them. It's a private feeling within yourself. If you open up now- they won't understand . Just continue showing authentic human love as a mother or grandmother towards your relatives. Engage them in non-witness conversations. Movies, the weather, shopping, yardwork, hobbies, etc.

Believe me- I am happier now than I ever was before- and it's been 7 years now for me. I will private mail you my wife and my phone numbers if you'd like to talk. Please remember, you have friends here who have been through similar things with witness family members. I might be able to give you some tips. Hang in there and feel the love & caring you're getting here. It's real and unconditional and honest. Take care, hang in there, keep your chin up

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Welcome, my Dad is 61 I hope he was in your position. But he isnt. he is still a faithful brainwashed JW. Much power to you.

• Ding
    Ding

Grandma Jones,

Please keep us updated on what's happening with you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit