If Christ was Divine, How Could He Have Been Tempted?

by leavingwt 141 Replies latest jw friends

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Outlaw, your making me fat. I've already been forced to go to KFC a few times because of you posts. Now I'm craving it again! Damn you!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    His human nature was tempted.
    But his human nature was subjected to his divine nature.

Earlier in this thread, I suggested that his Divine nature slapped the wrist of his Human nature. Someone didn't like it. However, what you've written above sounds like the same thing, to me.

Further, I can see why some outsiders see it as bi-polar disorder.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    This is fascinating stuff PSacramento Is it found in a part of the bible that you do accept as inspired of God, or was it revealed to you by Jesus himself? Or do you make it up as you are borne along?

Yes.

It's not my intention to be impolite. But you have to see how your statements appear to simple people like me who see Jesus as an historical figure who had a message for the Jews 2000 years ago.

Indeed.

To preach with such certainty and make so much out of so little, requires a source of reliable, even infallible, information. I am still unsure what your source is. The more I read the more confused I become.

Quite.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    It only seems that way if you believe in the trinity; or that Jesus was God incarnate. Not saying that this is wrong (even though it is my belief that it is wrong, or rather, somewhat misunderstood).
    I also don't think Jesus felt tempted, but not because he could not have been tempted... but because his perfect faith in his Father kept him from temptation.
    Tammy

Satan tempted Jesus in a way that would have appealed to someone that was simply a prophet, someone that woudl have seen those temptations AS temptations, IF Satan knew what he was dealing with, woudl he have tempted Jesus with what Jesus KNEW Satan could NOT give him since he already had it?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Mark 1:12-13 At once, this same Spirit pushed Jesus out into the wild. For forty wilderness days and nights he was tested by Satan. Wild animals were his companions, and angels took care of him. MSG

I think the Evil One knew exactly who He was.

Just think, if Jesus of Nazareth could have been brought under his spell!

What a coup that would have been for him!

No, I'm no longer a believer in the one-to-one Adamic correspondence doctrine as espoused by the WT.

Too much was at stake.

Incidentally, I'm putting together an account of what I believe transpired celestially and terrestrially before the Fall. I'm reading the Book of Enoch and the Book of Jasher again so as to keep things in some sort of perspective.

When I'm finished, I shall post it on CoCo's thread, Through a Darkened Pane.

Syl

• JWoods
    JWoods

Thanks for this thread - LeavingWT. It leaves much foundation for thought...

Something just occurred to me about the WT (and other) legalistic "equivalent human sacrifice" nature of the ransom of Jesus:

If Jesus was not perfectly equivalent to the pre-Sinner Adam, then how could the sacrifice be legally valid? That is - if Jesus did have some kind of divine sector to his persona (which is strongly hinted at in the NT) - wouldn't this have been like "stacking the deck"? Isn't the point of the sacrifice that Jesus did the right thing (where Adam did the wrong thing) and died anyway - thus ransoming all of Adam's sinful offspring? How could this be a legal, intellectual, or moral equivalent if Jesus were not equivalent to the pre-sin, pre-tree of knowledge Adam?

In other words - was Jesus automatically programmed to NOT be tempted by having a divine side? And thus, never really faced the moment of decision (that of the question of human self-determination) like Adam did?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Earlier in this thread, I suggested that his Divine nature slapped the wrist of his Human nature. Someone didn't like it. However, what you've written above sounds like the same thing, to me.
    Further, I can see why some outsiders see it as bi-polar disorder.

I don't think it was a case of "two conflicting parts" of his psyche.

Jesus' human nature was not at odds against his divine nature ( body VS spirit), they were in harmony and that is why he wasn't tempted.

Still, he got upset, short tempered at times, he laughed and enjyed jokes and loved t be loved and loved to love, he was warm and forgiving and was very touchy-feely, he enjoyed personal affection and loved being in the company of hsi friends and got sad, felt pain and hirt when he was wrong doing or experienced loss.

Jesus was the best of what we CAN be, he was human with all the good and bad that comes with it and he was able to be that way because he was also all the God was.

• tec
    tec

Satan tempted Jesus in a way that would have appealed to someone that was simply a prophet, someone that woudl have seen those temptations AS temptations, IF Satan knew what he was dealing with, woudl he have tempted Jesus with what Jesus KNEW Satan could NOT give him since he already had it?

But Satan did have the world, Psac, didn't he? How many times did Jesus say that people were following their father, Satan? He had the kingdoms, etc. But just not forever, which would have been part of the deception in his tempting.

So to me, Satan tempted Christ as the human and spiritual son of God, without Him having to be God, Himself. It still means just as much, as Sylvia said...

Just think, if Jesus of Nazareth could have been brought under his spell!

What a coup that would have been for him!

The one God foretold who would be loyal and faithful, who would save mankind... to have him turn to the darkside? It seems sort of a like a last ditch effort, because if Christ did as God said through to His death, then God was right, and its only a matter of time until Satan is gone.

Tammy

• tec
    tec

Jesus was the best of what we CAN be,

Yes. He showed us what to strive for, and He showed us to have no fear following Him and our faith in Him.

Tammy

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Oh! what a tangled web we weave
    When first we practise to deceive!

Sir Walter Scott

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit