No Link Found Between Vaccine Mercury and Autism

by leavingwt 132 Replies latest social current

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I would like to know if the anti-vaccine people have elaborated a mechanism.

Do they have a theory regarding how vaccines cause autism?

HOW?

Have any legitimate scientists formulated a theory? Has it been published?

Either way, the current paradigm of vaccines being manufactured from inactivated viruses is on its way out.

DNA vaccines will replace them.

Returns are still on early side, but the delivery hurdles and plasmid design issues that plagued the early researchers in the 1990s seem to have been solved.

Clinical trials are ongoing.

This will open the door for vaccines against HIV, HSV, Hep-C and many cancers.

If you want to know more about DNA vaccinations, this is a great place to start:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=dna-drugs-come-of-age

If anyone wants the full article in PDF format, send me a PM. It is an excellent article.

BTS

• bohm
    bohm

BTS wrote:

I would like to know if the anti-vaccine people have elaborated amechanism.

Do they have a theory regarding how vaccines cause autism?

HOW?

Have any legitimate scientists formulated a theory? Has it been published?

This is in particular a damning question since there is good evidence autism is a genetic disorder:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/7/62

Background

Autism comprises a spectrum of behavioral and cognitive disturbances of childhood development and is known to be highly heritable. Although numerous approaches have been used to identify genes implicated in the development of autism, less than 10% of autism cases have been attributed to single gene disorders.

But ofcourse, the pseudo-science RGB quoted on the other page does not give that impression; genetic effects is discarded for no obvious reasons.

Question: If the vaccines is the cause, how come autism is inherited?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Question: If the vaccines is the cause, how come autism is inherited?

Good question! I have another: If vaccines are one of the possible causes of autism, how come there are documented cases of autism that predate vaccines? Link coming, I have to take my daughter to school.

• read good books
    read good books

Mercury causes brain and nerve damage. It causes auto immune diseases. Is it so crazy therefore to look at the rise of autism in the 1940's which corresponds with rise of vaccines, and then the sharp rise in the number of vaccines given to babies in the 80's and 90's with the sharp increase in childhood autisim. I could link studies that take into consideration the improved screening methods and it still doesn't explain the rise in autisim. There are unanswered questions on both sides.

Ms. Jones not all the cases of lung cancer are caused by cigarettes but that doesn't prove cigerettes don't cause lung cancer. And not all smokers get lung cancer.

Nine-year-old Hannah Poling is shown. (AP Photo/Atlanta Journal-Constitution, John Spink)

The first court award in a vaccine-autism claim is a big one. CBS News has learned the family of Hannah Poling will receive more than $1.5 million dollars for her life care; lost earnings; and pain and suffering for the first year alone.

In addition to the first year, the family will receive more than $500,000 per year to pay for Hannah's care. Those familiar with the case believe the compensation could easily amount to $20 million over the child's lifetime.

Hannah was described as normal, happy and precocious in her first 18 months.

Then, in July 2000, she was vaccinated against nine diseases in one doctor's visit: measles, mumps, rubella, polio, varicella, diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, and Haemophilus influenzae.

Afterward, her health declined rapidly. She developed high fevers, stopped eating, didn't respond when spoken to, began showing signs of autism, and began having screaming fits. In 2002, Hannah's parents filed an autism claim in federal vaccine court. Five years later, the government settled the case before trial and had it sealed. It's taken more than two years for both sides to agree on how much Hannah will be compensated for her injuries.

Read Sharyl Attkisson's 2008 report on Hannah Poling

In acknowledging Hannah's injuries, the government said vaccines aggravated an unknown mitochondrial disorder Hannah had which didn't "cause" her autism, but "resulted" in it. It's unknown how many other children have similar undiagnosed mitochondrial disorder. All other autism "test cases" have been defeated at trial. Approximately 4,800 are awaiting disposition in federal vaccine court.

Time Magazine summed up the relevance of the Poling case in 2008: ...(T)here's no denying that the court's decision to award damages to the Poling family puts a chink -- a question mark -- in what had been an unqualified defense of vaccine safety with regard to autism. If Hannah Poling had an underlying condition that made her vulnerable to being harmed by vaccines, it stands to reason that other children might also have such vulnerabilities."

Then-director of the Centers for Disease Control Julie Gerberding (who is now President of Merck Vaccines) stated: "The government has made absolutely no statement indicating that vaccines are a cause of autism. This does not represent anything other than a very specific situation and a very sad situation as far as the family of the affected child."

</form></form>
  • Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More
    Then-director of the Centers for Disease Control Julie Gerberding (who is now President of Merck Vaccines)

http://books.google.ca/books?id=fftKR4y2NMIC&dq=Selling+Sickness&source=gbs_similarbooks_s&cad=1

Explores some interesting relationships between Big Pharma and government - and the implications that has on any research 'looking' for 'links'.

I am with you on this one, Read Good Books.

• read good books
    read good books

Boehm I don't doubt you can parade an impressive list of scientists and doctors to attack the autism mercury link, and I don't doubt that any scientist or doctor who dares stick his neck out and go agains the establishment and say there is a link is going to get creamed by the main stream media.

It kind of reminds me of global warming, some of the top scientists in the world in their field don't beleive in it but they don't dare stick ther necks out because they and their families will be torn to pieces by the big media which receives huge advertising dollars from big corporations and big government.

Thanks MJNM I was feeling kind of lonesome on this thread.

• bohm
    bohm

Mercury causes brain and nerve damage. It causes auto immune diseases. Is it so crazy therefore to look at the rise of autism in the 1940's which corresponds with rise of vaccines, and then the sharp rise in the number of vaccines given to babies in the 80's and 90's with the sharp increase in childhood autisim. I could link studies that take into consideration the improved screening methods and it still doesn't explain the rise in autisim. There are unanswered questions on both sides.

First off: You didnt address the points i made in the previous post, namely that dr. Wakefield is a crook, one of his studies had a sample size of 12 and all the other stuff. Why?

Now there are more statements made by you. I will take the bolded statement as an example and assume its not just another moronic thing you parot. In that case you should be able to answer:

• What is the hypothesis? (which vaccines, etc.)
    • What is the data and statistical analysis on said data?
    • How was it made clear it was not just a corrolation but a causation?

The last question is particulary important if you know anything about statistics.

• bohm
    bohm

Boehm

Here we go, 4 letters and you have a hard time spelling it. From a bad start it suddenly gets worse:

I don't doubt you can parade an impressive list of scientists and doctors to attack the autism mercury link,

Yes, and as we all know, when scientists claim something is wrong and has gone out of the way to fabricate a ton of data which show it, we all know we are just getting to the really good stuff.

and I don't doubt that any scientist or doctor who dares stick his neck out and go agains the establishment and say there is a link is going to get creamed by the main stream media.

which insidently explain why you are mainly parading convicted criminals and crackpots without medical knowledge as sources. It does, however, not explain why the things that DO get puplized for your POW is shown to be full of errors and/or contradicted by a large body of evidence.

It kind of reminds me of global warming,

oh yah, here we go, the dog-and-pony show with global warming. WTF does global warming have to do with anything???

some of the top scientists in the world in their field don't beleive in it but they don't dare stick ther necks out because they and their families will be torn to pieces

Which explain why there is a warming-denialist working on my university who has puplized in many well-known journals ...

by the big media which receives huge advertising dollars

...and is more in the media than he should be to "present the other side"

from big corporations and big government.

Here we go, paranoid bullshit.

Why are your posts entirely devoid of data? The reasoning you use can be used to proove there is no moon. How?

1) scientists deny that i am right. 2) The media say im crazy. 3) It all remind me of global warming.

• read good books
    read good books

Boehm I am not an expert on Dr. Wakefield, if you want to throw stones why not also take a look at Dr Frank Destefano with whom we started this thread. There are those that accuse him of hiding data that proves a link and of other things. Do you want to answer for all accussations made against Frank Destafano? I think I answered your question when I said go against big government or big corporate America and see what the media does to you.

I am not a doctor or scientitst I am just looking at one thing the rise of autism along with the rise of vaccines, the main culprit would appear to be thimersol which has mercury in it. My only reason for beleiving it's mercury is because nothing else in the vaccine that I am aware of seems as likely or has been put forward. I am not writing a paper on this Boehm I will answer one question but I don't have time to research everything you threw at me on your posts. I think you can find the info your looking for on Google.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

This is an excert from the book I am currently reading "Making Sense of Autistic Spectrum Disorders":

Mercury: Red Alert or Red Herring?

Mercury is a metal that is liquid at room temperature (its chemical symbol, Hg, comes from its Latin name, hydrargyrum, which means "liquid silver"). The level of toxicity from mercury varies tremendously depending on its exact chemical form. A decades-long epidemic of neurologic damage in the populace living along the shores of Minamata Bay, Japan, was traced to the dumping of methyl mercury (one atom of mercury plus one atom of carbon) into the bay by a local factory. Today, coal-fired power plants and other forms of industrial pollution rain methyl mercury down on the landscape. Methyl mercury that lands in the water is taken up by micro-organisms, which are consumed by plankton, which in turn are consumed by herbivorous fish. Mercury becomes concentrated as it moves up the food chain; the higher up the food chain an animal is, the more mercury in its system. At the top of the aquatic food chain are the largest predators, with the highest mercury concentration of all: tuna, swordfish, and shark. The concentration of methyl mercury in these fish has led to warnings from the FDA to limit their consumption, especially by children and pregnant women.

Since the 1930's, ethyl mercury (one atom of mercury plus two atoms of carbon) has been used as an ingredient in thimerosal, a preservative added to vaccines. Back in the 1930's, products were not required to meet the safety standards that are in force today. As safety standards rose, thimerosal was simply grandfathered in as a commonly used compound. In 1999, the American Academy of Pediatrics and the U.S. Public Health Service recommended removing thimerosal from immunizations as a precautionsary measure. There were then, and there are now, no studies to establish safety limits for ethyl mercury; rather, the AAP and PHS based their recommendation on the published safety standards for methyl mercury . However, methyl and ethyl mercury are about as differect as carbon monoxide (one atome of crbon plus one atom of oxygen) and carbon dioxide (one atom of carbon plus two atoms of oxygen); carbon monoxide will kill you in a couple of minutes while carbon dioxide is part of the air we breathe, and an ingredient in carbonated beverages. There are equally significant differences between methyl and ethyl mercury. Nonetheless, in the absence of safety data for ethyl mercury, the AAP and PHS did the prudent thing, which was to recommend that thimerosal be removed from childhood vaccines. This ws effectiely accomplished by 2001, with the exception of the influenza vaccine and neonatal hepatitis B.

In the wake of the AAP recommendation and the government's decision, however, the public assumed that if thimerosal was coming out of immunizations, there must be a problem with it. This fear crystallized in 2001 with the publication of a paper by S. Bernard and colleagues asserting that ASD represented a form of mercury poisoning --although classical mercury poisoning and ASD actually look very little alike.

As with Wakefield's 1998 paper (which as been discredited and several lawsuits have come about because of it - my words) implicating the MMR vaccine, researchers have responded to public concerns over thimerosal through broad-scale epidemiologic research. To date, properly conducted studies looking at hundreds of thousands of children have found no association between thimerosal and the prevalence of ASD. Most of there were retrospective studies comparing the prevalence of ASD in specific birth cohorts of children with the calculated dose of thimerosal recieved by children in that cohort. Since thimerosal was removed from nearly all U.S. vaccines in 2001, the obvious question is: Has the prevalence of ASD gone down? The answer, of course, is no. The prevalence of ASD in the United States continues to rise, even though exposure to thimerosal is negligible. ...the biggest jump in cases of ASD occurred in 1992 (which is when the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs, began to require the reporting of autism by the states) and onward, right after thimerosal was removed. The same phenomenon--continued increase in the prevalence of ASD despite removal of thimerosal--has been reported in Canada, Denmark, and Sweden. It's hard to reconcile (this information) with the claims that thimerosal causes ASD.

~pages 96-100, Chapter 4 "Speculative Causes of ASD, and the Autism "Explosion", from "Making Sense of Autistic Spectrum Disorders" by James Copland,M.D.

Ms. Jones not all the cases of lung cancer are caused by cigarettes but that doesn't prove cigerettes don't cause lung cancer. And not all smokers get lung cancer.

I'm not the sort of person that is going to believe anything until I do research from credible sources. After reading about Wakefield and his profiting from spreading misformation about what he considers to be a cause of autism, I find him to be extremely untrustworthy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit