No Link Found Between Vaccine Mercury and Autism

by leavingwt 132 Replies latest social current

• Hadit
    Hadit

Bohm: Thank you for clarifying what you meant. I was referencing your words. Maybe next time I will point out who I was talking about! Despite what was assumed here - I too am very empathetic to autism. I have been researching it for many years and very actively for about the last three since there has been so much new research on neuroplasticity of the brain. All the research I have done when it comes to these topics has been inspired by my son. It's been a journey and it continues.

My whole point to my posts here was: Read, research and look around to get a complete picture from BOTH sides. I don't advocate one way or another - that is completely up to each individual parent.

On that note I don't need the stress of a highly controversial topic so I will gracefully bow out.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

trust me, as a parent there is nothing worst for me to think about; than giving an innocent child an ailment/defect.

I have always had nightmares about it, and I also blame our powerless WT god for not doing anything about birth defects.

I am also the skeptical kind of person that never runs to a newly formed remedy (I like for many to try.--> Example: lassyk), but when your

benefits outnumber the risk many times over, it's like "which hands got the rock"!

my grandparents had many children and a couple died, I would never trade our modern medicine for the old.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Mrs Jones wrote:

Again - I know this is a heated topic but ones should not assume that because people don't vaccinate that they are ignorant, gullible or crackpots.

Bohm said:

First off - im very sorry about your sons condition. I think can understand why this topic strike close to home and that i dont have the understanding of what autism mean.

Thank you Bohm but I didn't say that, Hadit did.

My whole point to my posts here was: Read, research and look around to get a complete picture from BOTH sides. I don't advocate one way or another - that is completely up to each individual parent.

I don't think so Hadit. You're stuck on mercury being a cause of autism based on a shody so-called case study that has been discredited even by the researchers who partnered with Wakefield. This issue affects me personally, and it's so closed that I can't help but read read and read about it. What I've found is there are folks out there profiting from theories that aren't even proven and therapies that could be harmful instead of help. Mrs Jones

• read good books
    read good books

) Bohm-Is a non-random sample size of 12 and the following lying and dicking with the data sufficient statistical material for a study on the autism-vaccine link? If no, are you going to retract your support for Dr. Wakefields research? ME-I don't know if 12 is a proper random size, it is if your studying the apostles, -"The research aspects of the biopsies on the Lancet children had in fact been approved by the Ethics Committee as Project 162-95" And on another point you mentioned before let the man without guilt cast the first stone "Not only did Dr. Wakefield have no duty under the then-applicable disclosure standard, it was actually Dr. Horton that concealed Dr. Wakefield's participation in the MMR litigation, only to later feign ignorance to shift blame to a scapegoat for all the 'unpleasantness' surrounding the debate over MMR safety." And many of these Doctors who sit on the legal boards it turns out are salaried by the pharmacutical companies, just like the scientists who work for global warming recieve payola from the government.

2)Bohm- Is Gary Null the HIV/AIDS denialist without scientific training REALLY worth quoting as support for not vaccinating?

Me-Gary Null "holds a PhD in human nutrition and public health sciences from The Union Institute in Cincinnati, Ohio"

although-"The Union Institute is also accredited, but its degree requirements and standards for health-related doctoral degrees differ greatly from those of most traditional universities."

In other words Gary does hold the degree but it is pretty dicy to compare it to a regular Univerisity. Your dodging the points he raised. Should everyone else on this thread who does not have an M.D or P.H.D. after their name not be allowed to have an opinion even if they have read alot and studied the subject? Shouldn't Gary Null? As I have said many of the Doctors (and probably the bloggers too) who have lashed out at Wakefield it turns out work for big Pharma.

Since autism is inherited to a large degree what will m ake you back down with respect to the mercury claim?

Since people are sensitive about this I will tone it down and say I think everyone should do their own research.

This is some interesting historical info. on mercury, http://www.naturalhealthstrategies.com/mad-hatter-syndrome.html

4)Bohm- Since mercury has been REMOVED from vaccineins allmost a decade ago, AND number of autism cases continued to climb unaffected, will that make you back down on the mercury claim?

Me-"The US Vaccine Court (by decision) and the US Government (by concession) have concluded that vaccines, specifically MMR, can cause autism. The debate, and the need for reallocating research support, now shifts to how many children have been affected (for purposes of compensation) and how to prevent new cases and treat those already vaccine-damaged"

I won't back down from my claim that mercury can cause brain damage, I don't have enough information on what else these children were exposed to since Mercury is also used in other hospital products and the point has been raised as to whether even very small trace doses can cause autism. Other issues like did the mother get a flu shot or use other mercury products, and their are many, if those questions can all be answered negatively then I will back down but I will still wonder if hereditary factors are the cause then why the sharp rise? As I said some people get lung cancer from things other than cigarettes which doesn't mean cigarettes do not cause of lung cancer.

I guess I also will always wonder what did they replace the mercury with in the vaccines? Could it be with something so close Mercury that it triggers the same response?

5) Boehm-Do you still stand by the scientific value of the research paper you quoted back on the previous page after reading Leolais links?

Me-Since your always giving me homework why don't you read this link about Dr Wakefield trial-http://www.ageofautism.com/2010/01/-false-testimony-denies-lancet-doctors-a-fair-hearing.html Leolais is a smart cookie I just disagree with her on this thread.

• thinkingoutloud
    thinkingoutloud

I don't think so Hadit. You're stuck on mercury being a cause of autism based on a shody so-called case study that has been discredited even by the researchers who partnered with Wakefield. This issue affects me personally, and it's so closed that I can't help but read read and read about it. What I've found is there are folks out there profiting from theories that aren't even proven and therapies that could be harmful instead of help.

MrsJones - I don't understand why on earth you would have a problem with someone advocating researching both sides of a topic. That is a very ignorant position to take. God forbid you study something. I would suggest you and everyone else here take the advice and actually become informed on things before dismissing them outright.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I have and am doing my research. I am not dismissing the possibility of mercury as a cause of autism out of hand.

From what I have been reading I am beginning to realize that autism has always been with the human race. The reason for the "explosion" is autism has gained more recognition since the early 1990's and the parameters defining what autism is has been expanded. When I took my son to be psychologically tested the psychogist told my husband and I that the DSM-IV-TR (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual) will soon be revised and the autism parameters will mostlikely expand again.

I am currently reading a book called "Making Sense of Autistic Spectrum Disorders" by James Coplan M.D., a board certified pediatric doctor who practices pediatric developmental behavioral health, neurodevelopment disabilities and pediatrics in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania. I highly suggest this book to anyone interested in the real side of autism.

I have at least 10 books about the history of autism, how to understand autism as a parent, books about diagnosis, treatment, coping and healing, books on how to get the right help for my child through the school system. I check out additional books from my library about autism that I don't have in my collection. I have access to another library through an local organisation called FEAT where I can gain additional information to help my son. I also have other numerous sources to gain information because I have been proactive to find them and I'm not taking about some cut and paste job online.

I am not the sort of person to go into anything ignorant. If I don't know something I do my research.

Thank you.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

excuse me, but mrs. jones said that she's been reading a ton of books!

where do you get that statement?

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I would suggest you and everyone else here take the advice and actually become informed on things before dismissing them outright.
    and......... in the meantime stay away from those puss filled vaccines
  • read good books
    read good books

Dr. Andrew Wakefield and his compelling courage, as recounted by Barbara Loe Fisher

Barbara Loe Fisher speaks of Andrew Wakefield, his courage, and the real meaning of the recent General Medical Council (GMC) ruling against him.

Barbara Loe Fisher is the mother of three, one of whom is vaccine-injured. She is also co-founder & president of the National Vaccine Information Center and a writer and speaker on vaccination and informed consent issues. She is a courageous woman.

In the following seven-minute-long video she describes her first meeting with a courageous man, Dr. Andrew Wakefield, and explains the real meaning of the recent General Medical Council (GMC) ruling against Dr. Andrew Wakefield and two colleagues.

Below it is the transcript of her words, which can also be found at her blog. Also there, you can find links to various statements on the Andrew Wakefield GMC case outcome, as well as other relevant and very interesting information regarding the same.

We heartily recommend visiting both her blog and the, National Vaccine Information Center, where this video is posted.

Here is the transcript of the video of Barbara Loe Fisher speaking of Dr. Andrew Wakefield and the GMC "inquisition." (Emphasis has been added by Natural Health Strategies editors.)

Vaccines: Doctor Judges & Juries Hanging Their Own

by Barbara Loe Fisher

I remember the day I met Dr. Andrew Wakefield.

It was five months before he and 12 other physician colleagues would publish a study in The Lancet 1 calling for more research into a possible association between inflammatory bowel disease, MMR vaccine and developmental delays in some children.

I met Dr. Wakefield that day in 1997 in the auditorium where our conference was to take place as he was trying to decide what to do with a slide that identified him as being employed by the Royal Free Hospital. You see, he had received a telephone threat from London in the middle of the night warning him that if he spoke at our conference, he might not have a job when he returned to Britain. He then described to me the intense pressure he had been under from senior health officials in Britain to withdraw from our conference.

This was five months before he and his colleagues published the first article in the medical literature suggesting there might be an association between vaccine induced chronic inflammation in the body and developmental delays in some children.

In September 1997, Andrew Wakefield was a young British gastroenterologist, a rising star in the world of experimental medicine. He had received awards and scholarships for original research into the pathogenesis and etiology of inflammatory bowel disease, including Crohn’s disease. He had a bright future ahead of him until he examined children suffering with both inflammatory bowel disease and developmental delays and decided to investigate the reports by parents that their once normal children regressed and began exhibiting symptoms of autism after getting an MMR shot.

So, as Andrew Wakefield and I were standing in the conference auditorium five months before The Lancet article was published, I told him that he did not have to speak at our conference. I told him it was not worth losing his job. I told him that I could look back and count the doctors lying on the road, who had lost their careers because they dared to conduct research into or speak about vaccine risks. I told him his own colleagues would hang him for challenging the status quo.

Despite the fact he had been threatened by senior doctors in positions of authority demanding that he withdraw from our conference, Andrew Wakefield refused my offer to stand down. He said that if he did not speak at our conference, he would always be afraid, and he was not going to live in fear for the rest of his life.

And then we sat down and had a long talk about freedom of thought, conscience and scientific inquiry. We talked about fear and courage, about risking it all to do what is right. We talked about events leading up to World War II in Europe and how good people did nothing when they had the chance to act; how instead they turned away from the suffering of minorities targeted for destruction. We talked about government health policies that devalue individual life and write off some as acceptable losses in service to the rest. We talked about the suffering of vaccine injured children and their families.

And I knew then, that despite my warnings to Andrew Wakefield that he could lose everything if he tried to investigate or speak out about vaccine risks, this man was not going to stand down. He was going to risk it all.

It was a moment I will never forget because I knew the price he would pay for standing up to colleagues ordering him to salute smartly and remain silent.

Today, doctors in positions of authority in Britain, who have sought to intimidate Andrew Wakefield even before the February 1998 Lancet article was published, have declared through the General Medical Council that he and two other brave doctors, who refused to recant the conclusions of The Lancet article, are guilty of professional misconduct. 2 The General Medical Council does not operate a legal court of law; it is rather a medical court of opinion, where doctors can sanction other doctors and, in effect, hang their own.

I learned early on in my 28 years of work to prevent vaccine injuries and deaths through public education and defend the informed consent ethic in medicine, that it does not matter whether you are a doctor investigating vaccine risks or a parent of a once healthy child, who regressed into chronic poor health after vaccination. If you question the quality of vaccine science or policy, you will be demonized, harassed, and sanctioned for being an unbeliever and questioning the wisdom of doctors and scientists in positions of authority.

The General Medical Council inquisition was never about the three doctors they put on the rack and found guilty on most counts. It was always about declaring vaccine science and policy innocent on all counts. And creating a horrible warning to any young doctor, who even thinks about investigating or talking about better defining vaccine risks, to think again, shut up and salute smartly.

Today, I join millions of parents of vaccine injured children around the world, and thank Drs. Andrew Wakefield, Simon Murch and John Walker-Smith for having the intellectual honesty, conscience and courage to stand up for truth and freedom in science. You are honored and loved by many for what you have done to try to help ease the suffering of the growing numbers of vaccine injured children and prevent more children from joining their ranks.

Like you, we will not stand down and we will not be silent. We will stand up and defend truth and freedom for as long as it takes to bring both

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I can cut and paste too, oh and don't pass up on the last part where Wakefield has had his licence revoked:

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3| Extended narrative from the investigation |
    Nailed: Dr Andrew Wakefield
    and the MMR - autism fraud
    Summary of Brian Deer's investigation

With a series of stories spread over six years, Brian Deer has pursued a landmark public interest investigation for The Sunday Times of London and the United Kingdom's Channel 4 Television network into allegations - first made in Britain - linking the three-in-one measles, mumps and rubella vaccine (MMR) with claims of a terrifying new syndrome of bowel and brain damage in children. These allegations led to a decade-long health crisis in the UK, and sparked epidemics of fear, guilt and infectious diseases, which have been exported to the United States and other developed countries, spawning every kind of concern over vaccinations.

Almost incredibly, the trigger for what would become a worldwide controversy was a single scientific research paper published in a medical journal - the Lancet - in February 1998. Written by a then-41-year-old laboratory researcher, Dr Andrew Wakefield, and co-authored by a dozen other doctors, it reported on the cases of 12 anonymous children with developmental disorders, who were admitted to a paediatric bowel unit at the Royal Free hospital in Hampstead, north London, between July 1996 and February 1997.

Backed by a press conference and a video news-release , the five-page paper’s claims received huge media attention, and were followed by a sustained attack on the vaccine. This included further publications by Wakefield, criticising MMR, and led to an unprecedented collapse in public confidence in the shot, which, since the late 1980s in the UK and the early 1970s in the US, has been given almost universally to children, soon after they are one year old, almost eradicating measles and rubella.

The prime cause of the alarm was findings in the paper claiming that the parents of two thirds of the 12 children blamed MMR for the sudden onset of what was described as a combination of both an inflammatory bowel disease and what Wakefield called "regressive autism", in which language and basic skills were said to have been lost. Most disturbingly, the first behavioural symptoms were reported to have appeared within only 14 days of the shot.

Although the research involved only a dozen children, and its results have never been replicated, many medical breakthroughs have begun with small-scale observations, and, if true, Wakefield's findings might have been the first snapshot of a hidden epidemic of devastating injuries. "It's a moral issue for me," he said at the 1998 press conference, where he called for a boycott of the triple MMR, in favour of breaking it up into single shots, to be given at yearly intervals. "I can't support the continued use of these three vaccines, given in combination, until this issue has been resolved."

As the doctor campaigned, UK vaccination rates slumped: below the level needed to keep measles at bay. Even Tony Blair became embroiled in the controversy when Wakefield supporters suggested - the Blairs say wrongly - that the prime minister’s youngest son was not vaccinated with MMR. Meanwhile in America, a ferocious anti-vaccine movement took off, after Wakefield appeared on the CBS network's 60 Minutes programme in November 2000, speaking of an "epidemic of autism". This was followed by claims that all vaccines are suspect: either due to their content, or because of an increase in the number given to children.

"In 1983 the shot schedule was ten. That's when autism was one in 10,000. Now there's 36, and autism is one in 150," argued American actress Jenny McCarthy, who blamed MMR for her own son’s autism, and gained the highest profile in the US movement. "All arrows point to one direction."

Andrew Wakefield's role unmasked

But, as journalists queued to report on parents' fears, Brian Deer was assigned to investigate the crisis, and unearthed a scandal of astounding proportions. He discovered that, far from being based on any findings, the public alarm had no scientific basis whatsoever. Rather, Wakefield had been payrolled to create evidence against the shot, and, while planning extraordinary business schemes, meant to profit from the scare, he had changed and misreported data on the anonymous children to rig the results published in the journal.

Before Deer’s inquiries, Wakefield had appeared to all the world to be an independent, if controversial, researcher. Tall and square-headed, with hooded eyes and a booming voice, he was the son of doctors (a neurologist and a family practitioner), had grown up in Bath, a prosperous, west-of-England spa town, and joined the Royal Free in November 1988, after training in Toronto, Canada. His demeanour was languid - he was privately educated - and, born in 1956, he was a lingering example of the presumed honour of the upper middle class.

But the investigation discovered that, while Wakefield held himself out to be a dispassionate scientist, two years before the Lancet paper was published - and before any of the 12 children were even referred to the hospital - he had been hired to attack MMR by a lawyer, Richard Barr : a jobbing solicitor in the small eastern English town of King's Lynn, who hoped to raise a speculative class action lawsuit against drug companies which manufactured the shot.

Unlike expert witnesses, who give professional advice and opinions, Wakefield negotiated a lucrative and unprecedented contract with Barr, then aged 48, to conduct clinical and scientific research. The goal was to find evidence of what the two men called "a new syndrome", intended to be the centrepiece of (later failed) litigation on behalf of an eventual 1,600 families, mostly recruited through media stories. This, publicly undisclosed, role for Wakefield created the grossest conflict of interest, and the exposure of it by Deer, in February 2004, led to public uproar in Britain, the retraction of the Lancet report's conclusions section, and, from July 2007, the longest-ever professional misconduct hearing by the UK's General Medical Council.

Barr [ audio ] paid the doctor with money from the UK legal aid fund: run by the government to give poorer people access to justice. Wakefield charged at the extraordinary rate of £150 an hour - billed through a company of his wife's - eventually totalling, for generic work alone, what the UK Legal Services Commission, pressed under the freedom of information act, said was £435,643 (about $750,000 US), plus expenses. These hourly fees - revealed in The Sunday Times in December 2006 - gave the doctor a direct, personal, but undeclared, financial interest in his research results: totalling more than eight times his reported annual salary, and creating an incentive not only for him to launch the alarm, but to keep it going for as long as possible.

In addition to the personal payments was an initial award of £55,000, applied for by Wakefield in June 1996 - but, like the hourly fees, never declared to the Lancet, as it should have been - for the express purpose of conducting the research later submitted to the journal. This start-up funding was part of a staggering £18m of taxpayers' money eventually shared among a group of doctors and lawyers, working under Barr's and Wakefield's direction, to try to prove that MMR caused the previously unheard-of "syndrome". Yet more surprising, Wakefield had predicted the existence of such a syndrome - which he would later dub "autistic enterocolitis" - before he carried out the research.

This Barr-Wakefield deal was the foundation of the vaccine crisis, both in Britain and throughout the world. "I have mentioned to you before that the prime objective is to produce unassailable evidence in court so as to convince a court that these vaccines are dangerous," the lawyer reminded the doctor in a confidential letter, six months before the Lancet report.

And, if this was not enough to cast doubt on the research's objectivity, The Sunday Times and Channel 4 investigation unearthed another shocking conflict of interest. In June 1997 - nearly nine months before the press conference at which Wakefield called for single vaccines - he had filed a patent on products, including his own supposedly "safer" single measles vaccine , which only stood any prospect of success if confidence in MMR was damaged. Wakefield denied any vaccine plans, but his proposed shot , and a network of companies intended to raise venture capital for purported inventions - including a vaccine, testing methods, and strange potential miracle cures for autism - were set out in confidential documents. One business was later awarded £800,000 from the legal aid fund on the strength of now-discredited data which he had supplied.

Behind the veil of confidentiality

As with the researcher, so too with his subjects. They also were not what they appeared to be. In the Lancet, the 12 children (11 boys and one girl) were held out to be merely a routine series of kids with developmental disorders and digestive symptoms, needing care from the London hospital. That so many of their parents blamed problems on one common vaccine, understandably, caused public concern. But Deer discovered that the children (aged between 2½ and 9½) had been recruited through MMR campaign groups, and that, at the time of their admission, most of their parents were clients and contacts of the lawyer, Barr. None of the 12 lived in London. Two were brothers. Two attended the same doctor's office, 280 miles from the Royal Free. Three were patients at another hospital clinic. One was flown in from the United States.

The investigation revealed, moreover, that the paper's incredible finding of a sudden onset of autism after vaccination was a sham: laundering into medical literature, as apparent facts, the unverified, often vague, memories and assertions of a group of unnamed parents who, unknown to the journal and its readers, were bound to blame MMR when they came to the hospital, because that was why they had been brought there. Wakefield, a former trainee gut surgeon, denied this. But the true number of families accusing MMR wasn't eight, as the paper said: it was 11 of the 12 (later all 12) and in most cases records noted parents' claims for compensation before their children were referred.

"Mum taking her to Dr Wakefield, Royal Free hospital, for CT scan, gut biopsies," wrote one family doctor in the north-east of England, for example, before referring the only little girl in the project. "Will need ref letter. Dr Wakefield to phone me. Funded through legal aid."

In the light of these discoveries, the case was overwhelming to dig deeper into Wakefield's findings. In an exercise never before accomplished by a journalist, Deer was able to go behind the face of the 1998 paper, identify the subjects, and access original patient data. Penetrating veils of medical confidentiality, he discovered that the hospital's clinicians and pathology service had found nothing to implicate MMR, but that Wakefield had repeatedly changed and misreported diagnoses, histories and descriptions of the children, which made it appear that the syndrome had been discovered.

As revealed in The Sunday Times in February 2009, the effect was to give the impression of a link between MMR, bowel disease and the sudden onset of regressive autism, when otherwise none was evident. The hospital's pathology service had repeatedly declared bowel biopsies from the children to be normal, and not one of the 12 cases was free of critical mismatches between the paper which launched the vaccine crisis and the kids' contemporaneous clinical records. Some children showed signs of autism before vaccination. Some were deemed normal months afterwards. Some did not have autism at all.

"From the information you provided me on our son, who I was shocked to hear had been included in their published study," said the father of a boy from northern California, who was admitted, at age 5, to Wakefield’s research, "the data clearly appeared to be distorted."

Children's protections sidelined

In addition to finding that the Lancet paper had been rigged, the investigation uncovered a raft of other issues: starting with irregularities in ethical supervision. Research on patients is governed by national and international standards - particularly the Helsinki declaration - and no reputable hospital review board would have endorsed the kind of fishing expedition Wakefield embarked on for Barr. Without that endorsement, moreover, no major medical journal would have published any resulting paper. Nevertheless, to satisfy the Lancet's stringent patient-protection requirements, but without revealing to hospital authorities what was really going on, Wakefield falsely reported that a gruelling five-day battery of invasive and distressing procedures performed on the kids, including anaesthesia, ileocolonoscopies, lumbar punctures, brain scans, EEGs, radioactive drinks and x-rays, proposed for the lawsuit, was approved by the Royal Free's ethics committee.

But Deer revealed that, despite the research being executed on the uniquely vulnerable, developmentally challenged children of sometimes desperate parents, the ethics committee was not told the truth about the project, and had given no such approval . Wakefield and his key accomplices issued a formal statement denying this explosive discovery, but later changed dheir story and admitted it during the General Medical Council hearing , where - despite clear rules - they now argued they needed no approval.

Wakefield's basic science was also probed. The story was much the same. He had obtained the legal money and planned his business ventures against a theory of his own that the culprit for both inflammatory bowel disease and autism was persistent infection with measles virus, which is found live as a normal part of MMR. But Deer revealed on Channel 4 that sophisticated, unreported, molecular tests carried out in Wakefield's own lab had found no trace of measles in the children's guts and blood. Those tests were among a string which found no evidence of the virus. The Sunday Times also disclosed critical flaws in one apparently positive study, which involved materials supplied by Wakefield. This had misled thousands of families affected by autism, both in the UK and the US, ensnared for years in hopeless litigation based almost entirely on his measles theory.

Deer (who in April 2006 reported the first British measles death in 14 years) took no view on whether vaccines may or may not cause autism, but never found any scientific material which repeated the Lancet findings. Although all kinds of children suffer from digestive issues, he learnt of a mass of authoritative research which overwhelmingly rebutted Wakefield's claims. "Specifically, numerous studies have refuted Andrew Wakefield’s theory that MMR vaccine is linked to bowel disorders and autism," was how the American Academy of Pediatrics summarised the position in an August 2009 statement to NBC News for a Dateline programme which featured both Wakefield and Deer. "Every aspect of Dr Wakefield’s theory has been disproven."

The impact of the investigation has been felt around the world, with media coverage from New Zealand to Canada. In the UK, the revelations prompted a statement by the prime minister , a collapse in the anti-MMR campaign, and a rebound in vaccination levels. In the US - where the Barr-Wakefield deal was joined by allegations marshalled by American attorneys that a mercury-based vaccine preservative, thimerosal, was also at fault - findings by Deer were presented by the Department of Justice in federal court, followed in February 2009 by scathing judgments . After hearing a test case of petitions from some 5,000 families, one presiding judge said : "Therefore, it is a noteworthy point that not only has that 'autistic enterocolitis' theory not been accepted into gastroenterology textbooks, but that theory, and Dr Wakefield’s role in its development, have been strongly criticized as constituting defective or fraudulent science."

Wakefield campaign denies everything

In response to Deer's findings, Wakefield supporters denied that he received money for research, and, amid a barrage of sometimes paid-for attacks , %#Cspan style="font-family: Tahoma; font-size: x-small;">smears and crank abuse, insisted that the doctor was a champion of children’s interests. But the father-of-four had not only baselessly triggered the resurgence of sometimes fatal or brain-disabling measles outbreaks, plunged countless parents into the hell of believing it was their own fault for agreeing to vaccination that a son or daughter had developed autism, and misled an ethics committee over child rights and safety, but it was discovered that he had gone as far as to buy blood samples from children as young as four years old, attending a birthday party, and then to joke about them crying, fainting and vomiting.

Meanwhile, Wakefield bizarrely argued that he never said that MMR caused autism at all. But documents - including patents - evidence the doctor's claims, and he published a string of further misleading reports intended to undermine the vaccine. Even when he knew that his allegations had been proven baseless, he was found promoting them from a controversial business in Austin, Texas, called Thoughtful House , where, after being fired from the Royal Free in October 2001, he held a $280,000-a-year post, spun from his campaign against the shot.

Throughout the investigation, Wakefield refused to co-operate, filed complaints , and issued statements denying every aspect. He also initiated, and then abandoned with some £1.3m ($2m) costs, a two-year libel lawsuit , financed by the Medical Protection Society, which defends doctors against complaints from patients. In reply, Deer and Channel 4 openly accused Wakefield of being "unremittingly evasive and dishonest". His conduct in the litigation was also damned by a High Court judge , who said that Wakefield "wished to extract whatever advantage he could from the existence of the proceedings while not wishing to progress them", and that the doctor was using them as "a weapon in his attempts to close down discussion and debate over an important public issue".

Wakefield, who contrived a bizarre conspiracy theory , says he has done nothing wrong. "The notion that any researcher can cook such data in any fashion that can be slipped past the medical community for his personal benefit is patent nonsense," he argued in a March 2009 statement. "Scientific rigor requires repeatability for verification of any research and Mr Deer's implications of fraud against me are claims that a trained physician and researcher of good standing had suddenly decided he was going to fake data for his own enrichment."

Lancet paper retracted and doctor ousted

On 28 January 2010, following a 197-day inquiry, a statutory tribunal of the UK General Medical Council handed down rulings on Wakefield's conduct, wholly vindicating Brian Deer's investigation. Branding Wakefield "dishonest", "unethical" and "callous", the panel of three doctors and two lay members found him guilty of some three dozen charges, including four of dishonesty and 12 involving the abuse of developmentally-challenged children. His 1998 Lancet research was found to be dishonest, and performed without ethical approval. Five days later, the Lancet fully retracted the paper from the scientific literature, prompting international media interest and further retractions .

"What is indisputable is that vaccines protect children from dangerous diseases," said the New York Times, in one of a string of editorials to appear in leading newspapers. "We hope that The Lancet’s belated retraction will finally lay this damaging myth about autism and vaccines to rest."

On 17 February, Wakefield was ousted by the directors of his Texas business, and on 24 May 2010 his name was ordered to be erased from the UK medical register, revoking his license to practise.

http://briandeer.com/mmr/lancet-summary.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit