So...is David Splaine the new bible scholar (or Fred Franz) of the WTBTS?

by Joliette 82 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

So keeping this thread on topic, is Splaine the heavyweight on the GB now? For those who in Bethel within the past decade or so, now that Jaracz is gone, who's personality would you say is dynamic enough to be the big dog? Splaine comes off like a gump to me. I don't see that killer instinct in his eye like Jaracz had.

• agonus
    agonus

I suspect the current "heavyweight" may be Losch. He's the only one I think with enough actual Scriptural knowledge to attempt Franz-style "theology" (which he has). If I'm not mistaken, he's publicly spoken on how there have been 7 comings of Christ (I shit you not) in recent years, as well as other farfetched speculation. Splane, I think, is just a power-hungry fake-anointed career cocksucker (like Jaracz) who is completely enamored of himself... at least that's how he comes off to me. He could become the new heavyweight if he kisses enough ass. They've given him an awful lot of facetime on the new DVD for some reason. I'm sure his theological capabilities, like most of the GB, are pretty much zero.

• agonus
    agonus

The only GB member I've seen display any kind of "personality" outside of the typical grumbling just-obey-us-you-peons attitude is Lett, but that's primarily because he's just plain goofy, sort of the Johnathan Winters of the GB. He's the only one I've seen who seems to exhibit actual joy in what he's doing, which is fine, but being a rubberfaced genial goofball doth not a theologian make. He does have a bit of an Andy Kaufman kind of not-quite-there vibe going on, a "look" in his eye that does sort of make you wonder...

• agonus
    agonus

There will never be another Freddy and the WT knows it. This religion just doesn't attract the kind of people with the intellect, education, imagination, and theological savvy to lift it out of the mediocrity in which it's mired. Sure, it attracts loonies (which Freddy was of course), just not smart ones.

• elderelite
    elderelite

agnous you are so right about lett. We had him at the international last year and that is EXACTLY the impression I got of him as well. I ate lunch with him and "rubber faced genial goof ball" is the PERFECT description. He lacks that certain "something", that willingness to be an ass to get your way, that a heavy weight must possess.

• agonus
    agonus

Yup. Seems like a decent, nice guy... probably far too decent and nice to ever make much of a difference.

• JWoods
    JWoods

I have not kept up with the current bunch, but I would hazard a guess that we have not yet seen the next true heavyweight.

The next to really rule the roost may well be a young charismatic turk who comes in just at the right time (old guys are about senile, he convinces a compliant majority of younger ones) and I would be willing to guess that it will probably be twenty years before the cards are stacked for it to happen. If it ever happens, of course.

Until then, legal & financial department continues to really run the show.

• elderelite
    elderelite

you got it. Far too nice to ever get anything meaningful done

Jwwoods- you could be right but i was there when Losche was brought in and the boys had a real hard on for him.. they were propping him up mightily to the family. I dont know what has happened in the mean while and situations are always developing but I believe he was thought to be the future

• agonus
    agonus

And while I don't know much yet about the two "new guys" they haven't made much of an impression on me so far. If they're anything, they seem almost strikingly generic.

• agonus
    agonus

elderelite, I almost wonder if Losch rapidly pulled a Freddie in his so far relatively short GB career. That is, he seemed like he had half a brain and everyone expected him to be the Next Big Thing, and he started spouting gibberish so quickly that he became an embarrassment and the new guys tried to quietly "put him out to pasture". He does seem like he's operating on a different level (not a higher one necessarily), as if he has his own personal theology he adheres to outside of "mainline" WT doctrine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit