So...is David Splaine the new bible scholar (or Fred Franz) of the WTBTS?

by Joliette 82 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sir82
    sir82
    They wanted it to be something divine so bad that I think they just convinced themselves of it.

The history of the WT organization in one sentence.

• JWoods
    JWoods

I was told by Marion Dunlap (and I am sure he got it from his brother Ed Dunlap) that there were indeed stories about Freddy on the gay issue.

They were especially due to the habit Freddy had of having a little favorite clicque of about half a dozen young bethel guys and having little "hot tub parties" with them in the spa. Supposedly he was giving his hand picked crew some of his deep spiritual insight - but a lot of Bethel people at the time (1970s) thought it really looked odd. Freddy was, of course, too high up to be challenged on the appearances of it. Marion's take on it was that Freddy was likely an asexual celibate for the most part but with definate homosexual tendencies.

Homosexuality became sort of the "big taboo" at Bethel in the 70s because of a scandal involving up to probably a dozen people. If I recall correctly, the Bethel committees at the time did not name "homosexual acts" in the committee records, but rather called it "covetousness" or some such so as to not leave too obvious a paper trail.

And, of course, the thing with GB members Chitty & Greenlees was common knowledge among the elders but still the subject of a general attempt to cover it up.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Just a thought that occured to me.

Could Freddie have allowed the GB to roll over his nephew in exchange for being given a pass over his own lifestyle? He certainly didn't seem to lift a finger to defend Ray. Could he have been afraid to get his own dirty laundry aired if he took Ray's side?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Sweeny, I've often thought it was strange that Freddy didn't defend Ray AT ALL. I wonder if he was behind much of what happened in 79/80. Ray didn't believe Freddy just because he said it was true like the rest of the GB did. I tend to think that Ray was one of the only ones holding alot of the false teachings back. Once he was gone it seems like they were able to change things unchecked.

• clarity
    clarity

Wow Essan -

The word "egregore" derives from the Greek word, ?γρ?γοροι (egr?goroi), meaning "watchers" (also transliterated "grigori"). The word appears in the Septuagint translation of the Book of Lamentations, [1] as well as the Book of Jubilees and the Book of Enoch.

Eliphas Lévi, in Le Grand Arcane ("The Great Mystery", 1868) identifies "egregors" (sic) with the tradition concerning the fathers of the nephilim, describing them as "terrible beings" that "crush us without pity because they are unaware of our existence." [2]

The concept of the egregore as a group thoughtform was developed in works of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawnand the Rosicrucians [3] [citation needed] and has been referenced by writers such as Valentin Tomberg.

Thanks, c

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Didn't Ray's research for the Aid book create the Governing Body idea? I may be mistaken about that. But then, I thought that that led to Fred not being in line for the power he longed. If that were true, a little animosity perhaps?

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Sweeny, I've often thought it was strange that Freddy didn't defend Ray AT ALL. I wonder if he was behind much of what happened in 79/80. Ray didn't believe Freddy just because he said it was true like the rest of the GB did. I tend to think that Ray was one of the only ones holding alot of the false teachings back. Once he was gone it seems like they were able to change things unchecked.

The Dunlaps thought that for one thing, there was always a rivalry (in the mind at least of Freddy) between himself and Ray. They also believed that Freddy was in the early stages of dementia at the time of the scandal and that the only thing he really had on his mind was how terrible the Governing Body idea was - mainly because it diminished his power of finally getting to be president. This was a common topic of conversation between him and the hot tub boys (resentment of the GB) and some of them told it to Ed behind Freddy's back.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Now THATS interesting information. Godfather type story. I wonder if Freddy kissed Ray on the cheek right before Ray took that trip down south. Its amazing how a Christian religion touting itself as God's chosen organization has more drama than a true crime novel.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I wonder about the drama that goes on NOW that we don't know about. Who on the GB hates some of the other guys? Who creates waves when the others want to add something or change something? Is Herd upset about being the only African American on the GB? It'd be awesome to be a fly on the wall during some of those Wednesday meetings.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Didn't Ray's research for the Aid book create the Governing Body idea? I may be mistaken about that. But then, I thought that that led to Fred not being in line for the power he longed. If that were true, a little animosity perhaps?

Probably not only Ray, but also Ed Dunlap and several others. Of course - you remember that Freddy was (briefly) a Knorr-style sole president before the GB was instituted as the real power structure. He never got over being stripped of this. It has always been my notion that many of the hardliners wanted Freddy out too - they were burned by the failed 1975, and Freddy was getting more and more unreasonable and harder to deal with...so, internal politics may have had as much to do with forming the GB as Aid book research.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit