WHO ARE THE FALSE PROPHETS TODAY?

by Dogpatch 270 Replies latest jw friends

• Essan
    Essan

Metatron said: You can narrowly squeeze out a careful definition of "false prophets" but that doesn't change the 130 years of lies.

Actually they can't squeeze out if they abide by the Society's definition of a 'False Prophet' or the Bible verses identifying false prophets. There is no legitimate means of escape. Both the Bible and the Society's own words condemn them.

What a pickle - to save the Society you have to reject both the Society's own teachings on this matter, and those of the Bible.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive"

• debator
    debator

Hi quietlyleaving

You deliberately cut short the scriptural quote but deut 18 is the jewish understanding of being inspired and how they would recognise the messiah when he comes. So lets look at it more fully not just your edited bit.

Deuteronomy 18:18-22

18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him. 19 If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account. 20 But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death."

21 You may say to yourselves, "How can we know when a message has not been spoken by Jehovah ?" 22 If what a prophet proclaims in the name of Jehovah does not take place or come true, that is a message Jehovah has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him.

"I will put my words in his mouth" that is the context of this whole paragraph. This is how we know the bible is inspired. This is a specific ability only certain prophets got to have. This is the blue print scripture to understand how inspiration (Getting words directly from Jehovah himself) that led to the bible being written.

It is claiming this ability falsely saying you are inspired (able to speak words DIRECTLY from Jehovah) that makes you a false prophet or a false messiah. Hense why this would help them recognise the real inspired Messiah from the false ones that sprang up at the same time.

Hi essan

I present the above scripture deut 18:18-22 as proof for the one point of yours that agree makes a false prophet, that they need to claim they are inspired. but there are other points of false prophets as well which Jesus points out.

Matthew 24:24
    For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miraclesto deceive even the elect—if that were possible.

They also claim or do great signs and miracles. Since the word deceive is involved it shows these things to be deceptive so possibly not real.

None of these say simply claiming to be a prophet makes you a false prophet.

Hi Isaac

I have a name Debator please use it if you want a reply.

Hi melatron

Quite the contrary a full look at Deut 18 not just edited scriptures from it, if you look at the whole context it exonerates them from being False prophets. If looking at bible prophecy, chronology, predicted signs and events and being mistaken on their fulfilment is a hanging offence as you all seem to be making it then no one would ever try and decipher Bible prophecy.

Burying the shekel aka bible prophecies by not using them or being a afraid of using them is a bigger crime. We have been given bible prophecy, chronology to be ready.

Jehovah's witnesses from our early days onward have never claimed to be inspired to get words directly from Jehovah himself and that is what you are all avoiding. In your blurred accusations.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Let's just ask again in review -

Is there any other major religion (except the JWs) who actually set dates for the end multiple times in the 20th century?

I am aware of only a few fringe cults (Heavens Gate, others like them) - but none as well established and famous as the witnesses. The mainstream adventists had learned their lesson and quit this before 1900.

I don't know of anybody else who was written up in Time magazine as having been "burned by false prophecy in the past" - let's face it: The witnesses, by virtue of their constant preaching about their notions of the end - have become the poster child for false eschatological prophecy.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    Hi Palmtree
    I was discussion Bible prophecy specifically which is subjective and needs us to recognise and react when we understand to the best of our ability that it is being fulfilled. Despite prophecy only being 100% in hindsight.
    You try and fallacially widen this to Bible laws and absolutes on how we function as a flock which are very clear and not subjective like prophecy is.

No, that is not what I said.

Welcome back, Reniaa.

BTW, your posts would be easier to follow if you introduced yourself to the comma.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Debator (reincarnated reniaa) said:

Hi quietlyleaving

You deliberately cut short the scriptural quote but deut 18 is the jewish understanding of being inspired and how they would recognise the messiah when he comes. So lets look at it more fully not just your edited bit.

Deuteronomy 18:18-22

18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him. 19 If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account. 20 But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death."

21 You may say to yourselves, "How can we know when a message has not been spoken by Jehovah ?" 22 If what a prophet proclaims in the name of Jehovah does not take place or come true, that is a message Jehovah has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him.

"I will put my words in his mouth" that is the context of this whole paragraph. This is how we know the bible is inspired. This is a specific ability only certain prophets got to have. This is the blue print scripture to understand how inspiration (Getting words directly from Jehovah himself) that led to the bible being written.

It is claiming this ability falsely saying you are inspired (able to speak words DIRECTLY from Jehovah) that makes you a false prophet or a false messiah. Hense why this would help them recognise the real inspired Messiah from the false ones that sprang up at the same time.

My reply: something the WT HAS done..in different words...i.e. God's mouthpiece, God's modern day prophet, God's sole channel of communication...calling one of their false prophecies "The Creator's promise"

Debator said:

Hi essan

I present the above scripture deut 18:18-22 as proof for the one point of yours that agree makes a false prophet, that they need to claim they are inspired. but there are other points of false prophets as well which Jesus points out.

My reply: Claiming your words are the "Creator's promise" is the same as saying "Thus the Lord has spoken"

Debator said:

Matthew 24:24
    For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miraclesto deceive even the elect—if that were possible.

They also claim or do great signs and miracles. Since the word deceive is involved it shows these things to be deceptive so possibly not real.

None of these say simply claiming to be a prophet makes you a false prophet.

My reply: Hmm Reniaa also love to make that claim. Matt 24 says false Christs and prophets will appear and perform signs and wonders..it does not say that if a one claiming to speak for God does not perform signs and wonders they are not a false prophets. You are trying to make it say that performance of signs and wonders is a requirement to be a false prophet when it is simply claiming to speak for God.

Debator said:

Hi Isaac

I have a name Debator please use it if you want a reply.

My reply: And it is obvious to all who you are.

Debator said:

Hi melatron

Quite the contrary a full look at Deut 18 not just edited scriptures from it, if you look at the whole context it exonerates them from being False prophets. If looking at bible prophecy, chronology, predicted signs and events and being mistaken on their fulfilment is a hanging offence as you all seem to be making it then no one would ever try and decipher Bible prophecy.

Burying the shekel aka bible prophecies by not using them or being a afraid of using them is a bigger crime. We have been given bible prophecy, chronology to be ready.

Jehovah's witnesses from our early days onward have never claimed to be inspired to get words directly from Jehovah himself and that is what you are all avoiding. In your blurred accusations.

My reply: They have claimed no inspiration while assuming the postion of an inspired prophet of God by other words and actions. Your words are simply BS debator.

• JWoods
    JWoods

One might ask the question - if they were NOT claiming to be inspired, then WHY were they making prophetic predictions on the end of days?

Isn't that like some common U.S. citizen (not informed, not a part of government) calling a press conference, claiming to speak for the Obama administration, and proclaiming that the U.S. will invade Iran in 2 weeks?

Wouldn't such a person get called out for false information when it didn't happen?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Got to say Reniaabator, it is comedy watching you scramble and get your butt kicked here. Some things never change, eh?

• wasblind
    wasblind

Debator,

In the Reasoning from the Scriptures book under the heading of FALSE PROPHETS,

Why do the WTS writers leave out Duet 18: 21-22, thats the scripture that best descibes

a false prophet. If you write about a false prophet, why not add the desciption the Bible gives?

Oh by the way i used the name debator, now i'm looking for a reply.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Isaacaustin,

Here's to you

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Thanks Wasblind. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit