Why didn't we ever study "Mankind's Search For God"?

by gubberningbody 115 Replies latest jw friends

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Munch - It wasn't taught at Gilead.

But we did offer it in Field service while I was in Ecuador a number of times. FYI, the offer for the month varies from country to country.

Also, keep in mind that the KM on the CD Rom is from the US, and foriegn KMs vary in content.

• blondie
    blondie

So Lance, jws studied different books at the congregation book study in other countries. Probably only because they did not have the main choice in their language. We've had enough confirmations from other countries that this book was not a WTS sanctioned choice. The WTS is too concerned about "unity." Of course some of those memories that differ are ex-jws from the US and other English-speaking countries.

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

Ok, now munch made an interesting suggestion.

Now I hardly think it likely that any other non-english speaking country would have studied this because english was always the first to get everything and 2nd and 3rd world countries have enough problems with literacy as it is without tossing in challenging intellectual alternatives for these as well.

I wonder if anyone really knows. This has been bugging me for years.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

That is just a fancy add hominum attack (as it is used here).

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

OK - I know I'll be shot down for this and clearly Blondie has provided actual evidence but it's what I recall...

We never did this book at the book study group in the conventional way - as in read every paragraph etc. But I have some nagging memory of doing a summarised study of it - covering lots of chapters in a go - only reading out a few selected portions, questions were from a KM insert and it was finished in several weeks. This I believe was in the lead up to it being offered in the UK some years after its release.

Now I've probably got it wrong because...

I did this book as part of a private family study (regularly had screaming fits over the names and beliefs)...

We studied some brochures that also may have covered certain religions...

Given that I never actually studied any books unless I took the Group (only underlined in case someone looked over my shoulder) my memory of such books is vacant for about 3 decades...

MMXIV

• designs
    designs

MSFG was the Society's attempt at Liberal Arts education, they don't stray out into that field to often..

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

It's ad hominem, darkuncle, not add hominem.

But I suppose you might consider that ad hominem too, whereas I consider it to be an indication of how I need to keep an eye on myself as well since the Dunning-Kreuger effect also indicates that highly competent people like myself far too often rate themselves lower than they ought.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

I just got off the phone with Brother Jaracz. He said we did study it, acutally 2x's. So

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

It's ad hominem, darkuncle, not add hominem.

But I suppose you might consider that ad hominem too, whereas I consider it to be an indication of how I need to keep an eye on myself as well since the Dunning-Kreuger effect also indicates that highly competent people like myself far too often rate themselves lower than they ought.

Thank you for correcting my spelling, no I don't consider that an AD HOMINEM attack.

Dunning-Kreuger effect also indicates that highly competent people like myself far too often rate themselves lower than they ought.

Now that is interesting. I know that I am far less competent than I used to be -I'm sure you would agree. I think that a lot of times, negative internal dialogue gets to many otherwise perfectly competent people. I try to approach the idea with humility and personal honesty; I know that there are skills or knowledge that are out of my area of proficiency and I accept that.

As for Incompetent people who rate themselves too high, i think a good example of that is most of the tryouts for American Idol. I'm not talking about the ones who make it to Hollywood or where ever. I mean the ones who are painful to whatch, they think they are talented or very good, when in truth they suck. That they suck is not what is sad, that they lack personal awareness and can not honestly see their lack of ability in one area is sad. And that should be "ok", as they may have areas where they are talented and that talent could be used.

I apologize for being a rude a$$ earlier, but I still honestly believe that my congregation and possibly circuit or district studied the book.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Yes we DID study it in the UK as I have now finally found the aztecs human sacrifice picture i was previosuly looking for and failed to find, ...it's on p11. Pretty hard to forget that in a study book.

Cheers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit