TRINITY Challenge for JW's, Unitarians and Anyone Else

by UnDisfellowshipped 457 Replies latest watchtower bible

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

If Jesus Christ is God Almighty, why would He say "The Father is greater than I am"?

When Christ became flesh, He humbled Himself, emptied Himself, and took the position of a human slave, a little lower than the angels. He voluntarily gave up some of His rights, privileges, and glory that He enjoyed in Heaven with His Father. As a Man on earth, Jesus was abused, slandered, mocked, and tortured. He experienced all of the same human limitations and temptations that we face (except without sin).

God the Father, however, remained in Heaven, and did not become a human being, so He never gave up His rights, privileges, or glory. He did not suffer the horrible insults and abusive treatment that His Son experienced on earth. He did not have to suffer and die on the Cross as Jesus did. The Father always kept His exalted, glorious, heavenly position, greater than all else.

That is why Jesus, as a Man on earth, told His disciples that "The Father is greater than I am."

Here is the entire verse in question:

John 14:28 (ESV): You heard me say to you, 'I am going away, and I will come to you.' If you loved me, you would have rejoiced, because I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I.

I think it is clear that Jesus is telling His disciples they should rejoice because He is about to return to His Father, and thus, He will be returning to His original, glorious position next to His Father in Heaven, greater than anyone or anything else. (Compare John 17:5 and Matthew 28:18)

This same Greek word for "greater" was also used by Jesus in Mark 9:34 and Luke 22:26-27, where it is clear that the word "greater" is referring to positions of authority, NOTnature or essence. So, no matter how you understand John 14:28, there is really no basis whatsoever for claiming that The Father has a better Nature or Essence than Jesus does. This verse will not support that teaching.

Something else to think about: If Jesus was not already on an equal (or almost-equal) level with The Father, why would Jesus have ever needed to say "My Father is greater"? If Jesus was only a human being, it would have been extremely obvious and pointless to say that "God is greater." That would have been like a janitor at a Wal-Mart store saying that "the President of the United States has more authority than I do."

And remember that Jesus, even as a Man, taught that all people should honor Him just as they honor The Father, and that if you have seen Him you have seen The Father. (John 5:23; John 14:9)

Also, even within the Nature of God, there are different "positions" or "ranks" or "roles" for The Father, The Son, and The Spirit. The Father is always described as having the "Head" or "Greater" position, He is always shown as the One who initiates all things and has the final say on all things. However, The Father, The Son, and The Spirit are all equally God in Nature, and deserve to be worshiped equally.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Notice, God Almighty is The Alpha and The Omega and The Beginning and The End and The First and The Last:

Isaiah 41:4: Who has planned and done it, calling forth the generations from the beginning? I, Yahweh, am the First and the Last; I am He.

Isaiah 44:6: So says Yahweh, the King of Israel, and His Redeemer Yahweh of Hosts; I am the First, and I am the Last; and besides Me there is no God.

Isaiah 48:11-12: For My sake, for My sake I will do it; for why should My Name be defiled? And I will not give My glory to another. Listen to Me, O Jacob and Israel, My called; I am He; I am the First, I also am the Last.

Revelation 1:8: "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "He who is and He who was and He who is to come, The Almighty."

Revelation 21:6-7: And He said to me, "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give from the spring of the water of life freely to him that is thirsty. He that overcomes I shall give to him these things, and I shall be God to him, and he shall be to Me a son.

Notice, in the following Verses, Jesus Christ is The Alpha and The Omega, The Beginning and The End, and The First and The Last:

Revelation 1:17-18: And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as if dead. But He put His right hand on me, saying, "Do not fear; I am the First and the Last. I am He who lives, and became dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Death and of Hades.

Revelation 2:8: "And to the angel of the Church in Smyrna write, 'These things says the First and the Last, who became dead, and came to life:

Revelation 22:12-13: "And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to each one according to his work. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End."

Revelation 22:16: I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify these things to you for the Churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star."

What does Alpha and Omega mean? What does First and Last mean? How could there be TWO DIFFERENT GODS who were BOTH The First and The Last?
  • UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

The Bible says that only God Almighty can read human minds and hearts:

1 Kings 8:39: then hear in Heaven Your dwelling-place, and forgive, and do, and give to every man according to all his ways, whose heart You know. For You [Yahweh], You only, know the hearts of all the sons of Adam.

1 Chronicles 28:9: ... Yahweh searches all hearts and understands all the imaginations of the thoughts. ...

Jeremiah 17:10: "I Yahweh search the heart, I try the reins, even to give to each man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his doings."

The Bible says that Jesus can read human minds and hearts:

Revelation 2:23: ... all the Churches shall know that I [Jesus] am He who searches minds and hearts. And I will give to each one of you according to your works.

John 2:24-25: But Jesus did not trust Himself to them, because He knew all men, and had no need that anyone should testify concerning man, for He Himself knew what was in man.

Luke 5:22: But when Jesus perceived their reasonings, He answered and said to them, "Why are you reasoning in your hearts?

Matthew 9:4: But Jesus, perceiving their thoughts, said, "Why do you think evil in your hearts?

Matthew 12:25: But Jesus, knowing their thoughts ...

Mark 2:8: And immediately, when Jesus recognized in His spirit that they were reasoning thus among themselves, He said to them, "Why are you reasoning these things in your hearts?

Luke 6:8: But He knew their thoughts ...

John 1:47-51: Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward Him, and said about him, "Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no deceit!" Nathanael said to Him, "From where do You know me?" Jesus answered and said to him, "Before Philip called you, while you were under the fig tree, I saw you." Nathanael answered and said to Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!" Jesus answered and said to him, "Because I said to you, 'I saw you under the fig tree,' do you believe? You will see greater things than these." And He said to him, "Most assuredly I say to you, from now on you shall see Heaven opened, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man."

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Jesus Christ has the same Unchangeable Nature as The Father:

Malachi 3:6: For I am Yahweh, I do not change....

Hebrews 1:12: ... You are the same, and Your years will not fail."

Hebrews 13:8: Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Romans 8:26-27: Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with inexpressible groanings. But He that searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes on behalf of the saints according to the will of God.

The Holy Spirit intercedes for us to the Father. How can an impersonal force intercede or pray for us?

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@UnDisfellowshipped:

If Jesus Christ is God Almighty, why would He pray to Himself?

I'm going to label this argument Strawman #1. This question assumes that Jesus is God Almighty, which the Bible doesn't teach, and which, consequently, Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe or teach, so why would you be here positing the argument that Jesus is part of a trinity based on the whether it is plausible that Jesus would have prayed to himself. Such an argument might be posited by a trinitarian that sough to debunk such an idea, but it is not something strange to Jehovah's Witnesses that on many occasions Jesus would pray to his God and Father, since we do not believe, as do trinitarians, Jesus to be a "Person" of God, but an individual distinct from God.

You write that "Christians do not teach that God the Father and Jesus are the same Person," and this portion of your statement is true for Jehovah's Witnesses teach that Jehovah and Jesus are two distinct individuals, but you go on to write "rather [Christians] teach that God the Father and Jesus are two different Persons who share the same Nature or Essence," which portion of your statement is not true, for Jehovah's Witnesses do not teach that Jehovah and Jesus are two distinct individuals because they "share the same Nature or Essence." Jehovah and Jesus are spirits, that is, spiritual beings, for Jesus Himself taught that "God is a Spirit" (John 4:24), and like the angels of heaven, they are both sharers of the same divine nature.

Whatever it is that "modalism" teaches, Jehovah's Witnesses do not accept the premise of trinitarians that because Jehovah and Jesus "share the same Nature or Essence" that this makes them the same God, but separate "Persons."

If Jesus Christ is God Almighty, why does Colossians 1:15 call Him "The Firstborn of all creation"?

You provided three strawman arguments within the same post, so I'm going to label this first one in this particular post Strawman #2.

This question assumes that Jesus is God Almighty, which the Bible doesn't teach, and which, consequently, Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe or teach. The word "firstborn" used at Colossians 1:15 doesn't take on a meaning different than it does elsewhere in the Bible. Inheritance rights aside, the word "firstborn" designates the first to be begotten, the first to be born. Of Lot's two daughters, the "firstborn," that is to say, the one that was the first to be born to Lot, is the one that tossed to her sister, "the younger woman," the idea of "[preserving] offspring from our father," so that they both "became pregnant from their father." (Genesis 19:31, 32, 34-36) The account continues by saying that "the firstborn became mother to ... Moab, who became "the father to Moab," while "the younger ... gave birth to ... Ben-ammi," who became "the father of the sons of Ammon" (Genesis 19:37, 38)

There's nothing about the word "firstborn" as it is used elsewhere in the Bible that suggests a reference to "rank" or "position," so there is no reason for anyone to take a different view of what the word "firstborn" means at Colossians 1:15.

If Jesus Himself were part of creation, how could He exist before one thing was ever created by God? Did God create Jesus through Jesus? (See John 1:3; Colossians 1:17)

I've labelled this second argument in this post of yours Strawman #3.

This question assumes that Jesus is God Almighty, so that if Jehovah's Witnesses should teach that God created Jesus, that this would be an absurd conclusion if it were true that Jehovah and Jesus were, in fact, one God, but "two different Persons who share the same Nature or Essence." But Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe Jehovah and Jesus to be "two different Persons who share the same Nature or Essence," which makes this a false argument.

You make the point that at Hebrews 1:6, we read how "God commands all of His angels to worship The Firstborn Son, which would be idolatry if The Firstborn were a creature." But this point makes no sense, for the New World Translation -- the Bible translation that you stated at the outset of this thread you would be using to prove that the Bible supports belief in God being a trinity -- does not use the word "worship" at all! Is there a reason you are here violating your own rules here?

Idolatry is the veneration, worship or adoration of an idol, and typically involves religious ceremony, but which also may be subtle, for one's love for money or for food can become idolatrous for one may seek to satisfy one's own fleshly cravings is lieu of their doing God's will, and those disposed to rebelliousness are, in fact, worship of one's own self in lieu of obedience to God.

Furthermore, God can certainly make a law for human beings that would not have the same "teeth" or would even be "toothless" with regard to the angels of heaven, and, similarly, God can make a law for angelic host that would be totally inapplicable to human beings. For example, whereas it is not unlawful for human beings to engage in sexual relations with someone to whom they have become "one flesh" and procreate, it is unlawful for an angel to engage in sexual relations and procreate with a human being for sexual relations between angels and humans is unnatural. However, a law forbidding an angel to not engage in sexual relations with a human being to whom he is not married would have no teeth and would be totally unnecessary just as a law forbidding a human being from trying to enter the spiritual heavens with his or her flesh-and-blood body would be toothless since this is impossible for a human to do!

The last thing I would say on this point regarding Hebrews 1:6, the apostle Paul states there, "But when [God] again brings his Firstborn into the inhabited earth, he says: "And let all God's angels do obeisance to him." God's Firstborn has yet to come into the inhabited earth; this is yet future!

The only point I wish to make here is that your argument seems to rely upon your own belief that there is something wrong with God's angels bowing down (or "[doing] obeisance") to Jesus, but has God yet brought Jesus "into the inhabited earth"? Did "the sign of the Son of man" (Matthew 24:30) already make an appearance in heaven? IOW, it you should think that Paul is saying that God's angels have already bowed down in deference to the authority of God's Firstborn, you have another think coming.

If Jesus Himself were part of creation, how could He exist before one thing was ever created by God? Did God create Jesus through Jesus? (See John 1:3; Colossians 1:17)

I've labelled this third argument in this post of yours Strawman #4.

You wrote:

Some believe that Colossians 1:15-18 is speaking about Jesus Christ as a Human, and that, as a Man, He was indeed a creature in the sense that His Human Body was created by God the Father and the Holy Spirit. Calling Him "Firstborn" would then mean that He holds first place among all of God's creation, or that He is the First of all of God's new creation (which are those believers who have been born again and will go to heaven with immortal human bodies). I do not agree with that understanding because Colossians 1:15-17 is talking about when Jesus Christ created angels and humans, and Jesus was definitely NOT a Human at that time.

Whatever your reason for not believing what you describe as being "a different understanding of this Scripture on the part of some Christians," erecting such a strawman and then knocking it down doesn't alleviate the fact that this entire third argument or yours is a strawman, for Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe "that Colossians 1:15-18 is speaking about Jesus Christ as a Human."

As to the addition of the word "other" used in the NWT, so what? You are supposed to be proving the trinity using the NWT, which Bible includes the word "other" at Colossians 1:16, 17. These were the terms that you set. Deal with it! We're supposed to be discussing what the Bible teaches according to the NWT and not what statements a Bible study aid like the "Reasoning" book or the "Insight" volumes might include in order to clarify what one reads in the Bible. If you cannot follow your own rules, then I'm going to withdraw from this thread.

If Jesus Christ is God Almighty, why does Revelation 3:14 call Him "The Beginning of the creation of God"?

I'm going to label this argument Strawman #5.

You write that "[a]t first glance, [Revelation 3:14] does look like it is teaching that Jesus was created by God," but no one is reading this verse "at first glance." This is how the verse is rendered in the NWT Bible. As to how the Greek word _arche_" might be rendered in some other Bible translation, this is how this Greek word is rendered in the NWT.

You also wrote: "Since this verse has many different possible translations, it does not seem wise to interpret it in a way that contradicts the rest of Revelation and the rest of the Bible," but this rendering of this verse doesn't contradict any other scripture as you here assert to be the case. This argument is just a strawman based on your supposed wisdom in deciding which English language word best translated the Greek word, _arche_, but you believe in the trinity, so, really, how wise could you possibly be? The fact that you end this specious argument saying about Revelation 3:14 that "it could still be understood to mean that Jesus is the One who began God's creation, the One who started it," that is not my understanding, but you are free to comprehend this verse as you wish.

If Jesus Christ is God Almighty, why does the Bible call Him "The Only-Begotten Son"?

I'm going to label this argument Strawman #6.

This is yet another case of your opining that the Greek word _monogenes_ used in the Christian Greek Scriptures could also be rendered in other ways. So what? The NWT renders this Greek word "only-begotten," not "Only," not "One-and-Only," not "Unique," and this has nothing at all to do with what "the latest Biblical Greek research and scholarship has determined" this word ought to be rendered in the English language.

This "parting shot" of yours in which you say that "since Jesus was begotten by God, He must be God by Nature -- in other words, He has the same Nature or basic makeup as God does," isn't conveyed by the Greek word _monogenes_ used in the Christian Greek Scriptures, so whatever the supposed significance of this parting shot, this in no way changes the character of your argument here from being what it is, namely, an empty strawman.

If Jesus Christ is God Almighty, why does John 1:1 (NWT) call Him "a god"?

I'm going to label this last argument of yours Strawman #7.

You wrote that:

Nearly all modern Bible translators and Bible scholars do not agree with the rendering "The Word was a god" found at John 1:1 in the New World Translation.

But then you go on to compare what WTS publications have to say about the rendering of John 1:1c as "... and the Word was a god," with respect to the qualitative nature of the Greek word _theos_ that the apostle John uses at John 1:1c due to "an anarthrous predicate preceding the verb" per Philip B. Harner, except where a singular anarthrous predicate noun precedes the verb, the rule that governs the rendering is that the indefinite article, "a" or "an," precedes the noun.

To be clear, John 1:1c would be rendered literally as "... and godwas the Word," which means that where the predicate noun is "god" (here in bold) and it should precede the verb "was"(here in italics), then it ought to have been rendered literally as "... and (a) godwas the Word," or, as in the NWT, "... and the Word wasa god." Why would you be here quoting Harner as if he actually supported your contention? Harner is even quoted as saying that John 1:1c could rightly be translated, "the Word had the same nature as God."

The same "Reasoning" book from which you quoted in your post indicates, too, that there are passages in the Bible where a singular anarthrous predicate noun occurs before the verb, such as at John 6:70 ("a devil") and John 9:17 ("a prophet"). In both of these Bible verses, each sentence has an article-less predicate noun before the verb, just like at John 1:1c, so we should be consider each of them as qualitative, no? And yet, here at John 1:1c, where we have the same singular anarthrous predicate noun preceding the verb, the "Colwell Rule" you mention in your post doesn't seem to have been applied. I wonder why?

Now you asked the following two questions:

[1] When you read "The Word was a god" in the NWT, do you think that it means The Word shares the same exact Nature that God Almighty has?

My answer to this question is Yes.

[2] Or, rather, do you think of the Word as a separate, lesser, inferior created god?

My answer to this question is also Yes.

You then go on to ask a third question:

[3] What does it mean for the Logos ("Word") to share the same exact Nature that God Almighty has?

My answer to this question is that just as Jehovah God is divine, so is the Word, the Lord Jesus Christ.

I'll answer the fourth question now, even though it is a loaded one:

[4] God, in His Nature, is Eternal, Immortal, and Almighty. How can He share in that same Nature and still not be Almighty, Eternal, or Immortal?

Without regard to the 1933 article, "A Definite Rule for the Use of the Article in the Greek New Testament" by the Greek scholar, E.C. Colwell (Ernest Cadmen Colwell), from which article came the so-called "Colwell's Rule" (mentioned above), I cannot take what Colwell states to be accurate, for his own article contains data that shows so many exceptions to his rule (that is, fifteen definite nouns that do have the article even though they are before the verb) that no one should really have taken Colwell's claims seriously. (And I don't.)

For example, when Pilate asks Jesus at John 18:35, "I am not a Jew, am I?" no one would think that Pilate is asking Jesus, "Am I circumcized?" or "Do I pray at set times of the day?" or "Do I observe the sabbath?" which would all be attributes of one's Jewishness. But what Pilate means is this: "Do I belong to the category of persons -- Jews -- for whom what you are saying would have some meaning?" Instead of Colwell, I'd go with Prof. BeDuhn who teaches Greek at Northern Arizona University.

Jason BeDuhn received a PhD from the University of Indiana in Comparative Religious Studies, and uses the Kingdom Interlinear Bible when teaching Greek at Northern Arizona University. BTW, BeDuhn is not one of Jehovah's Witnesses and never has been one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Let me quote BeDuhn here:

Greek has no specific grammatical form for conveying something as tightly defined as "nature." Instead, what you have is a choice between individual and class. You are absolutely correct that reading theos in John 1:1c as individual yields a kind of modalism, conflates God and Word indistinguishably. [However], that is precisely what is conveyed by the traditional English translation in the absence of any sort of commentary or explanation. I wouldn't be concerned with that problem if that is what John wrote.

[I]n fact John was very careful to distinguish the individual definite God from the Word which is characterized as belonging to the god/deity/divine class. Philosophically and theologically you can define that class ("sharing the same nature") and set limits to it (monotheism), but the language of John does not itself provide those philosophical and theological fine points in John 1:1.

If Jesus Christ is God Almighty, why would He say "The Father is greater than I am"?

Your question presupposes that Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Jesus Christ is God Almighty, when we believe Jesus' Father, Jehovah, to be God Almighty, whose name is Jehovah, while believing Jesus to be "the Son of God." (John 10:36) Why would you ask one of Jehovah's Witnesses such a question? Or did you not know that I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses?

Notice, God Almighty is The Alpha and The Omega and The Beginning and The End and The First and The Last

Yes. Jehovah is "the Alpha and the Omega"; also "the Beginning and the End."

Notice, in the following Verses, Jesus Christ is The Alpha and The Omega, The Beginning and The End, and The First and The Last

Yes. While Revelation 22:13 speaks of Jehovah as the Alpha and the Omega, but Revelation 1:8 as well as Revelation 4:8 and Revelation 22:12, 13, show that Jehovah is "coming, but only representatively though Jesus. At Revelation 21:6, 7, where reference is made to "the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end," Jehovah is the Alpha and the Omega. At Revelation 22:16, it is clear that Jesus is there speaking, but what one reads at Revelation 22:16 has no bearing on what one reads at Revelation 22:13. While at Revelation 1:17, Jesus is there referred to as "the First and the Last," it is to Jehovah and not to Jesus that Revelation 22:13 refers.

What does Alpha and Omega mean? What does First and Last mean?

"Alpha" is the first letter of the Greek alphabet and "Omega" is the last letter of the Greek alphabet (Revelation; somehow I believe you already knew the answer to this question. "First" refers to Jesus being the first one to be raised up to incorruptibility and immortality and "Last" refers to Jesus being the last one to be resurrected by Jehovah (pay attention to the context in which "the First and the Last" is used at Revelation 1:17, 18, which gives this designation a restricted meaning than what one reads "the first, and ... the last" at Isaiah 44:6, as applied to Jehovah without any limitation!), since all future resurrections to heavenly life or to earthly life will be accomplished by God through the Lord Jesus Christ.

How could there be TWO DIFFERENT GODS who were BOTH The First and The Last?

If you are concerned how the title "the First and the Last" could be applied to both Jehovah and Jesus, consider this: At Hebrews 11:24-26, the apostle Paul refers to Moses as the "Christ." You don't have a problem accepting that the leadership of Moses over God's people as God's anointed one was prefigured by Jesus Christ as God's anointed one, do you? At Matthew 17:11, Jesus, in referring to his second cousin, John the Baptist, tells his disciples that "Elijah has already come." You don't have a problem accepting that the ministry of John the Baptist was prefigured by the prophet Elijah, do you? I suspect figures of speech and anything mentioned in the Bible that foreshadows realities haven't really been your forte.

The Bible says that only God Almighty can read human minds and hearts:

The Bible says that Jesus can read human minds and hearts:

And...?

Jesus Christ has the same Unchangeable Nature as The Father:

You cited Malachi 3:6, Hebrews 1:12 and Hebrews 13:8 for a reason, but why? You say that Jesus has the same unchangeable nature as the Father, but what exactly is this supposed to mean? That "unchangeable nature" signifies equality? The angel Gabriel has the same nature as the Lord Jesus Christ, being that he is divine, except that Gabriel isn't immortal. Does Gabriel's being possessed of the same divine nature as Jesus also make Gabriel equal to and a part of the Trinity? What exactly are you saying to me here?

The Holy Spirit intercedes for us to the Father. How can an impersonal force intercede or pray for us?

Are you not aware that the Psalms are filled with prayers that resonate with our own feelings, the prayers written under inspiration that God's own servants have uttered to Jehovah in the past? When we read certain psalms, e.g., Psalm 23, the holy spirit joins in to help us in pleading to Jehovah without our having to say anything. This impersonal force -- God's holy spirit -- intercedes for us when we read the psalms. I don't why you thought you could guess at the meaning of the apostle Paul's words at Romans 8:26, 27, but what you guessed was incorrect.

@djeggnog

• 10west
    10west

Let me ask you a question:

If you believe that The Father is One God and Jesus is a 2nd lower god (John 1:1), then how are you not violating the 1st Commandment?

To: Undisfellowshipped, Thanks for the welcome.

1. I'll look into the views (modal, etc), so I can't respond to that.

2. I have seen a strange confusion though, and it has to do with both Jesus, as a lesser god, and Satan as the "god" of this system.

Recognizing that a being is a "god", and serving that "god" are two different things. I realize that Paul termed Satan a god, and I think he is that type of spirit form, but I only recognize him as an angel, yes more powerful than man in nature of being, but in spiritual power, as Jesus proved, he is tapping himself for power, while Jesus could call on Almighty power, and others could too. By power of this world, he could be termed it's god, because the whole world is under his power, and thus worship, or work-for, him. Yet to me, I recognize Jesus, in the form he was before he received that human designation, as the only actual god, designated by God Almighty as a god. In his form, though we cannot see it, there is no comparison between an inexperienced angel like this satan, and the deity Jesus, by again, not only the probabilities that a more ancient being is also more in many ways, but also because he can tap Almighty spirit, whereas Satan can tap nothing, he is cut off to himself.

When Jesus apostles first started casting demons, he stated he "perceived Satan fallen, like lightening from the sky (heavens)", so satan can be conquered because his spirit is weakness. His power is in our lack of faith. Again, just because a people recognize that a particular being is a god, does not imply they worship him. To me there is but One Almighty God, who for eternities, was powerful, and perfect, being a solitary God. When he decided to bring another being into existence, it was not an act of loneliness, it was an act of love, and sharing, of something that can't even be termed "thing", he was sharing his deity, and self, with the only begotten one. Even if that begotten one was an exact replica of God Almighty, he lacked a few things, time in existence, and the experience and knowledge and wisdom that only time can bring. We cannot understand how such a consciousness could be given to another, and how an intellect can have a "default" setting, but obviously, you cannot give the experience of actual being, with someone who has just become. It is true, demons have given people visions, of for instance scenes of battles they may have participated in, in who knows what times, and the person being given these visions, and feelings, can experience powerful emotions, and feel like they were there, the fact is they cannot internalize it like the person who was there. No matter how emotional the experience, actually doing it, actually being there, actually living it, is a way different experience, it's full body. A vision, or a memory, is not the same whole as experiencing it first hand.

The point this is making, is a deity, even based on the Master Pattern, the Almighty Deity, can only be given so much, the rest takes time, experience for real, knowledge, training, etc, before it can be termed wisdom even. To me, a twin origin, is not mathematical, much less a triplet. There is a center, there cannot be two or three centers, as a simple logic. Biologically as well, even in an evolutionary sense, there is not a dual evolution in a species past, a bio replication starts from a single origin, even in atomic theory, one atom, no matter how miniscule the interval, starts the chain reaction that ignites the "bomb". There is not a dual creation either, it was linear. In a chaos math sense, there is no 50/50, no matter how miniscule the balance, it tips one way or the other. Even replication, no two atoms, of a like element, are exactly the same, the are similar, but they differ even if one has to go super sub atomic, nothing in this universe observed so far, or with enough depth, is exactly the same. It is one of a kind, whether it be a quark, a dollar, a BMW, or a cue ball, there are extreme or differences so subtle, they cannot be seen. But the principle, like a pattern in one thing, is found in all things, whether it is sonic, visual, structural, etc, everything has a relationship that varies in a gradation of perceptibility. So, somewhere, a song, relates to a rock, and every rock, or a sea gull; I do not know what the use of knowing what it is would be, since we cannot "see" it, maybe that it is there, and it's "way out" and "way in" there. It shows a common origin, but not an absolutely exact replication.

I think, but do not know, that that continues to relate into also spiritual creations, and somewhere just beyond, or way beyond, our human perception, it overlaps an area of complete relationship directly. At the overlap, it is recognizable, the further out you go, into matter, or into spirit, it is two "completely" "different" worlds, but in fact, they are related, imperceptible to the human eye, but not to a human logic, a math, or whatever, we just do not have it yet fully. And even if we did, I do not know what the purpose of it's knowledge would be to human beings. There is a relativity of everything. On the angelic side, they already know the knowledge of it's existence, but not the purpose eternal, or if there will even be one. Forever, is a long time, even for angels, and they are not all knowing or Almighty. When they think they are, that is when the trouble began. It's useless knowledge, the devil's, that is.

I think the origin is a point in linear time, growing in complexity over that time, to a point of completion, that always remains dynamic though. In that becoming, there is a master pattern, and patterns, that ripple through all things, in eternal ways, we do not fully understand. So just because something can be recognized as divine in nature, does not mean it is a polytheistic view. Only one God commands worship, regardless of how many other gods are recognized to be existing also. It is not the worship of many gods, but of just One. The God Almighty. Who has, ironically, no origin, but defines it for all creation, by a point in time, a being, his Only Begotten god, his Son. God's Timepiece and much more.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

djeggnog,

I apologize if you misunderstood the questions I was asking. I was asking rhetorical questions that Jehovah's Witnesses might ASK those who believe in the Trinity (and in fact some of those questions HAVE BEEN ASKED by JW's and by other non-Trinitarians in this thread).

For example, people have brought up that Jesus could NOT be God Almighty because He is "the Only-Begotten" and He could NOT be God Almighty because He is the "Firstborn of all creation" and He could NOT be God Almighty because He is "the Beginning of the creation by God" and He could NOT be God Almighty because He was praying to God.

So, in those posts, I was addressing THOSE points that were brought up earlier in this thread (not necessarily by you). I did not specifically address those posts to you djeggnog. Those were meant for ALL of those people who have been participating in this thread and have brought up those questions/arguments.

djeggnog said:

"There's nothing about the word "firstborn" as it is used elsewhere in the Bible that suggests a reference to "rank" or "position," so there is no reason for anyone to take a different view of what the word "firstborn" means at Colossians 1:15."

MY REPLY:

In Psalm 89:27 the word "Firstborn" is used as a "rank" or "position." It HAS TO BE a "rank" or "position" in Psalm 89:27 because God is declaring that He will make someone into the "Firstborn" IN THE FUTURE. Psalm 89:27 is NOT referring to someone who WAS A FIRSTBORN in the past.

djeggnog, Who is "The Firstborn, the most high of all the kings of the earth" spoken of at Psalm 89:27?

djeggnog said:

"But this point makes no sense, for the New World Translation -- the Bible translation that you stated at the outset of this thread you would be using to prove that the Bible supports belief in God being a trinity -- does not use the word "worship" at all! Is there a reason you are here violating your own rules here?"

MY REPLY:

When we agreed on the "rules" for this debate, I very clearly stated that I would be using the New World Translation WITH REFERENCES and FOOTNOTES, and that I would also use the Appendixes of the New World Translation.

The NWT Footnote for Hebrews 1:6 says "OR WORSHIP." Also, the older editions of the New World Translation do indeed render the word proskyneo (or a different form of proskyneo) "worship" in Hebrews 1:6.

Either way, call it "worship" or call it "obeisance." The Greek word remains the same. It matters most what the word MEANS. What is the definition of the Greek word proskyneo? (or a different form of proskyneo)

There is NO WAY that we can have an intelligent informed debate or discussion unless we determine WHAT words MEAN.

If you want to say that "Obeisance" only means a lesser form of "worship" and that "Worship" means the fullest form of "worship," then I would ask you to provide a source for how you are determining the MEANINGS of these words.

The New World Translation clearly shows that people gave "Obeisance" to Jehovah God:

2nd Chronicles 20:18 (NWT): At once Jehoshaphat bowed low with his face to the earth, and all Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem themselves fell down before Jehovah to do obeisance to Jehovah.

Are you trying to say that this "Obeisance" that was given to Jehovah was a lesser or lower form of "worship"?

Also, the Apostle Peter FORBADE Cornelius from doing "Obeisance" to him:

Acts 10:25-26 (NWT): As Peter entered, Cornelius met him, fell down at his feet and did obeisance to him. But Peter lifted him up, saying: “Rise; I myself am also a man.”

Are you trying to say that Cornelius was only bowing down in honor and NOT in worship to Peter? If so, then WHY would Peter have rejected so strongly to the act that Cornelius was performing?

Further, Hebrews 1:6 is a quotation from Deuteronomy 32:43 (from the Septuagint) or Psalm 97:7, and in BOTH of those verses it is saying that WORSHIP is to be given TO JEHOVAH. Yet Hebrews 1:6 applies one (or both) of those passages TO JESUS.

djeggnog said:

Furthermore, God can certainly make a law for human beings that would not have the same "teeth" or would even be "toothless" with regard to the angels of heaven, and, similarly, God can make a law for angelic host that would be totally inapplicable to human beings. For example, whereas it is not unlawful for human beings to engage in sexual relations with someone to whom they have become "one flesh" and procreate, it is unlawful for an angel to engage in sexual relations and procreate with a human being for sexual relations between angels and humans is unnatural. However, a law forbidding an angel to not engage in sexual relations with a human being to whom he is not married would have no teeth and would be totally unnecessary just as a law forbidding a human being from trying to enter the spiritual heavens with his or her flesh-and-blood body would be toothless since this is impossible for a human to do!

MY REPLY:

This is a very interesting argument. I have to hand it to you. You are getting somewhat more creative. By saying that God has a DIFFERENT STANDARD of Exclusive Devotion for humans than He has for angels.

That's funny, because at Matthew 4:10, Jesus was SPEAKING TO AN ANGEL (Satan) when He delcared "‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’

Also, the Hebrew Scriptures repeatedly declared that Jehovah was a JEALOUS GOD who TOLERATES NO RIVALRY and that the angels MUST WORSHIP JEHOVAH. Yet, here you are djeggnog, so desperate to cling to your own beliefs, that you have COMPROMISED Jehovah's Exclusive Devotion in order to say that Jesus is not God.

So, are you saying that all of a sudden, when Hebrews 1:6 is fulfilled, Jehovah just sets aside His Exclusive Devotion and Jealousy because it's okay now for angels to worship someone other than Jehovah?

Also, djeggnog, you have never responded to what I said about ALL HUMANS AND ANGELS WORSHIPING THE LAMB AND THE FATHER at Revelation 5:13-14. And you have never responded to what I said about ALL HUMANS rendering sacred service to The Son of Man at Daniel 7:14.

In addition, Jesus commanded ALL PEOPLE to honor The Son JUST AS [or, "to the same degree as"] they honor The Father. "Just as" means "Just Like" or "To the same degree as."

djeggnog said:

"As to the addition of the word "other" used in the NWT, so what? You are supposed to be proving the trinity using the NWT, which Bible includes the word "other" at Colossians 1:16, 17. These were the terms that you set. Deal with it! We're supposed to be discussing what the Bible teaches according to the NWT and not what statements a Bible study aid like the "Reasoning" book or the "Insight" volumes might include in order to clarify what one reads in the Bible. If you cannot follow your own rules, then I'm going to withdraw from this thread."

MY REPLY:

djeggnog, first of all, I did NOT address that post to you.

Secondly, the New World Translation itself shows that those words were NOT inspired original words, because they put them in SQUARE BRACKETS.

Why should we base our arguments on NON-INSPIRED WORDS which were NOT WRITTEN by the Inspired Writers?

djeggnog said:

"it is to Jehovah and not to Jesus that Revelation 22:13 refers."

MY REPLY:

Based on what authority do you say this?

djeggnog said:

"If you are concerned how the title "the First and the Last" could be applied to both Jehovah and Jesus, consider this: At Hebrews 11:24-26, the apostle Paul refers to Moses as the "Christ." You don't have a problem accepting that the leadership of Moses over God's people as God's anointed one was prefigured by Jesus Christ as God's anointed one, do you? At Matthew 17:11, Jesus, in referring to his second cousin, John the Baptist, tells his disciples that "Elijah has already come." You don't have a problem accepting that the ministry of John the Baptist was prefigured by the prophet Elijah, do you? I suspect figures of speech and anything mentioned in the Bible that foreshadows realities haven't really been your forte."

MY REPLY:

First of all, on what authority or basis do you claim that Moses was called "The Christ" at Hebrews 11:24-26. Whenever I read that passage, I have ALWAYS understood it to mean that Moses gave up his material possessions and pleasures in order to pursue THE FUTURE MESSIAH.

What kind of "prefiguring" or "foreshadowing" are you claiming is happening in the SAME BOOK OF REVELATION when in some Verses, Jehovah is called The First and The Last, and in other Verses, Jesus is called The First and The Last?

I suspect reading the Book of Revelation IN CONTEXT hasn't really been your forte.

• designs
    designs

So fellas, here's the question- Why does it even matter.

• The Finger
    The Finger

It matter. So you identify the right Christ. Or you may be baptised into an angel who transforms himself into an angel of light.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit