TRINITY Challenge for JW's, Unitarians and Anyone Else

by UnDisfellowshipped 457 Replies latest watchtower bible

• peacedog
    peacedog

Podo, I'm obviously missing something regarding your concerns over Ps 110:1. I don't understand where the difficulty lies for you.

Jesus is clearly separate from his Father after the Resurrection. Period. Nothing complicated... two identifiable and separate beings

I agree with you. Did I suggest otherwise?

I am not minded to argue whether Jesus was an angel or not. All we know is that he has been exalted and has been given Immortality alongside his God and Father.

Podo, it seems as though we are approaching the question of the biblical nature of Jesus from different starting points. Perhaps you should try tackling the question of whether or not Jesus is an angel. You say "all we know is.....". No, that's not all we know. If you accept scripture, then we "know" that Jesus is NOT an angel, per Hebrews 1:5 and 1:13. Short of inserting words into the biblical text, there is no avoiding the conclusion that Jesus is NOT an angel.

That being the case, I ask you, what is the *nature* of Jesus? I accept that Jesus is not the same person as his Father. I'm not asking you if Jesus *IS* the Father, I'm not asking you if Jesus *IS* Jehovah. I'm asking you what is Jesus' NATURE.

5God has never said to any of the angels, "You are my Son, because today I have become your Father!" Neither has God said to any of them, "I will be his Father, and he will be my Son!"

13God never said to any of the angels, "Sit at my right side until I make your enemies into a footstool for you!"

• truthlover
    truthlover

PD:

well, looking nature up in the Blue Book Bible Ref - "nature" it taken from the greek feminine - -two meanings - "genesis" - "genos" - ref G1078 and G1085 -- meanings 1.-one that follows origin 2. ones lineage where progeny is enumerated 3. course of life, descent 4. same kind or nation - Is this what you want?

In that respect it appears of course, since God/Lord created Jesus, Jesus would have to be the same type as his creator.. after all, our children are the same "type" as we are - human, spirit is spirit, and he did "leave what he was" behind when he came to earth as a human.. - I say spirit ---an individual spiritual entity-- working together with God in a single purpose...

Next thought: Psalms and the Creed

Taken from the New Testament - a lot of years between Psalms and Matthew - and then we have Jesus,Paul,James, Luke, etc words on the subject--

-- just finished looking up sooo many references as to where Jesus is residing now that he is back in the heavens -- taken from the New American Bible - 17 scriptures - repetition for emphasis maybe! - that states Jesus is sitting on the right hand of God and the kicker being when Jesus answered the question about the two sons of Zebedee who wanted to sit on his left and right hand in the kigdom ---- Jesus said - this decision was not his to give but the Father has prepared their place in the kingdom... taking the decision out of Jesus' hands.. Matt 20:23... If Jesus and God were one - there would be an agreement on this issue and Jesus would have said, ok they can have those positions... yet he deferred it to his Father...

Need for mediator:

Another good scripture - deals with a mediator.. why do we need a mediator to plead our case if Jesus and Jehovah/YHWH are the same? John 16:23,24,26

• peacedog
    peacedog

Hi truthlover,

Jesus said - this decision was not his to give but the Father has prepared their place in the kingdom... taking the decision out of Jesus' hands

The bible clearly defines the Son's role as subservient to the Father. Really, the titles "Father" and "Son" tell us this much... So the question is not whether Jesus is subservient to the Father, nor is the question whether the Son *is* the Father. The question is what is the *nature* of Jesus?

Jesus would have to be the same type as his creator.. after all, our children are the same "type" as we are

Indeed, our children are the same "type" as us. The son of a human being would be human in nature. In the same way, the son of God would be God in nature.

Did you miss my question to you in my previous post?

Did Jesus say *HE* was going to raise his body or did he not?

Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days." The Jews replied, "It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and you are going to raise it in three days?" But the temple he had spoken of was his body. (John 2:19-21)

• TD
    TD

Undisfellowshipped:

If I were to say, "Our President appeared in the Rose Garden this morning." people would take this as a direct reference to the person of Barack Obama.

Similarly when a reference to "God" is made either in Scripture or in day to day speech, those that come from an Arian background take that as a direct reference to the person of the Father -- Jehovah of the OT and no one else.

You've said that "God" means:

The One True God by Nature, the Supreme Being, the Creator, the Almighty.

That's a good generic definition but is there more to your view than that? To embrace Trinitarianism without going down the lines of sabellianism/modalism, the word "God" would need to viewed differently than people would view a title like "President."

• truthlover
    truthlover

Sorry PD -- left the site for a while

ok - yes - I did miss your question of how did he raise his body...

So I read somewhere that "the spirit goes out, it goes back to the God who gave it".... (Ecc 12:7)so the simplest answer would be that Jesus was no longer in the tomb/ body, but had returned to heaven with his Father upon his expiring.. consequently he was able to raise up that fleshly body - no problem there

Have to disagree on the nature aspect -- the meaning in greek indicates a "kind" now we know that God is a spirit and those who worship him do so in spirit and truth so again, when Jesus was created, he too was a spirit, it had nothing to do with god, as such.. you are speaking of Jesus as being the first creation , being god or a god-- so are you saying that Satan is a god also? since he was made by Jehovah/Yhwh??

and to go a little further, what about the angels, are they not "spirits" sent forth to do Yhwh's will?? They are not gods,but powerful spirit creatures...

"Nature",kind,spirit --

TL

going off again, will check in later

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@TD:

Greg Stafford is the author of Jehovah's Witnesses Defended An Answer to Scholars and Critics. Robert Bowman Jr. is an Evangelical theologian currently affiliated with the Institute for Religious Research

Thanks. I've never heard of either of these men.

@TD wrote:

(I realize that sometimes proper grammar requires that the term 'God' have an uppercase 'G' even if it doesn't refer to the Supreme Being, but this seems to muddy the water when you're debating the nature of the Being the term describes.)

@djeggnog wrote:

You really should pick one position and stick with it, and not limp between two positions and this comment here does. If you want rules, then you can say that without also taking the position of one that might be opposed to the imposition of grammatical rules on this thread. My position is that we should not be imposing any such rules on anyone in order that no one should be reluctant to participate in this thread. This is, again, just my opinion, @TD.

@TD wrote:

It's not actually a problem of two different opinions, it's a problem of two different sets of rules.... Taken together, the two rules can work at cross-purposes on this particular subject. I'm not the world's best communicator, but what I was actually proposing was that people not limp between the two rules.

You don't really need to be the world's best communicator, but people really shouldn't take themselves so seriously that they are wound so tightly that they cannot laugh at themselves. Or at someone else. This rejoinder of yours was both unexpected and funny, @TD. Actually, you are one of the best communicators on this board, but, unfortunately, the "bar none" award belongs to someone else. Maybe next year. <g>

@BANE:

Are you dense or what? ... Here is ANOTHER Catholic website... Moron.

Until your post, folks were being civil to each other. I continue to be surprised over how well folks seemed to have been getting along, despite having disparate viewpoints on the Trinity doctrine. I do not know the dynamic that exists between you and @LeavingWT, but may I ask that you save the insults for another thread, for such really have no place in this one that was started by @Undisfellowshipped, as such remarks like these could take this thread -- which is now up to page eight -- off the rails, and perhaps you could contribute something to the discussion that we have to cover. Thanks.

@Think About It:

According to the doctrine of the Trinity:

(1) God is the Father, and, (2) Jesus is God. Therefore, by transitivity, according to the doctrine of the Trinity: (3) Jesus is the Father. Yet, according to the doctrine of the Trinity, Jesus is not the Father.

So, according to the doctrine of the Trinity, Jesus both is and is not the Father.

Nicely said!

@djeggnog wrote:

HEBREWS 1:5, 6

5 For example, to which one of the angels did he ever say: "You are my son; I, today, I have become your father"? And again: "I myself shall become his father, and he himself will become my son"? 6 But when he again brings his Firstborn into the inhabited earth, he says: "And let all God’s angels do obeisance to him."

Out of all of God's angels in heaven, to which of them did God ever declare to be his son, or to be his father. When during his second coming God next sends his Firstborn into the world, all of God's angels will also serve him even as they serve God directing their worship to God through Jesus.

HEBREWS 1:13, 14

13 But with reference to which one of the angels has he ever said: "Sit at my right hand, until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet"? 14 Are they not all spirits for public service, sent forth to minister for those who are going to inherit salvation?

To none of the other angels did God ever offer a seat at His right hand or to give to any one of them authority over earth's inhabitants, even though all of them are faithful servants of God whose role is to actively minister to the needs of God's servants on earth.

So you found my insertion of the word "other" in order to convey my understanding of the text at Hebrews 1:5 to have been dishonest in some way?

@peacedog wrote:

eggnog, you added a word that completely changes the meaning of the verse:

Pre-eggnog verse: God never said to any of the angels...

Post-eggnog verse: God never said to any of the other angels...

The pre-eggnog verse eliminates any and all angels. The post-eggnog verse does not.

This just may be a case of your not getting the point of my "commentary." I didn't change the meaning of any of the verses I quoted from Hebrews chapter 1 or in Hebrews chapter 2. Not really. I sought only to emphasize the words at Hebrews 1:5 and Hebrews 1:13, respectively, "to which of the angels did he..." and "to which of the angels had he..." in my commentary. I suppose I could have written instead "to which [one] of the angels did he..." and "to which [one] of the angels had he...," in lieu of "to which of the [other] angels did he..." and "to which of the [other] angels had he...," but the context of these two Bible passages indicates, as I read the Bible text, that Jesus is a member of the group to which the apostle Paul refers called "angels."

At the Kentucky Derby each year, the question that is asked by horse racing enthusiasts and sports aficionados alike is "to which of the horses will the purse be given"? and: "to which NBA team" (if you're into basketball) or "to which NFL team" (if you're into football) "will the championship trophy be awarded"? However, if Kobe Bryant didn't play football for the Indianapolis Colts in Super Bowl XLIV or if Peyton Manning didn't play basketball for the Los Angeles Lakers, a football fan would not comprehend a statement that began with the words, "If Kobe Bryant and his team wins the Super Bowl...," nor would a basketball fan comprehend a statement that began with the words, "If Peyton Manning and his team should not win the Western Conference title this year...."

I'm going to ask you to now read Hebrews 1:13 in a symbolic way similar to how a Bible scholar would read this verse, ok? I'm going to present Hebrews 1:13 in such a way that I believe you will understand what the verse means in the same way that I read and understand this verse. Now here's a short "cheat" sheet:

"God"

NBA Commissioner, David Stern

"The angels"

The Leagues' 30 NBA teams

"Rulership"

The championship trophy

[1] Hebrews 1:13

[2] Excerpt from djeggnog "commentary" on Hebrews 1:13

[3] Symbolic representation of Hebrews 1:13

[4] djeggnog "commentary" on symbolic representation of Hebrews 1:13

[1] But with reference to which one of the angels has he ever said: "Sit at my right hand, until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet"?

[2] To none of the other angels did God ever offer a seat at His right hand.

[3] But with regard to which one of the NBA teams did David Stern award the championship trophy?

[4] To none of the other NBA teams did David Stern ever award the championship trophy.

Looking at [1], the words "which one of the angels" mean that only one angel is being singled out from all of the other angels. If the verse had said "which two ... angels," then this would indicate that two angels are being distinguished from among the rest of the angels.

Looking at [2], the words "to none of the other angels" would just be another way of making the point that while there were other angels that could have been offered a seat at the hand of power, not one of them received such an offer, for only one of them got the nod.

Looking at [3], the words "to which one of the NBA teams" mean that only one team was awarded a trophy by the Commissioner.

Looking at [4], the words "to none of the other NBA teams" would just be another way of expressing the point that while there were 30 NBA teams that vied for the trophy and could have won it, to only one of them was the trophy awarded by the Commissioner.

Food for thought: If the ORIGINAL bible verse said "God never said to any of the OTHER angels", and I went ahead and removed the word "other", changing the meaning of the verse to fit my theology, would it be dishonest of me?

If your motive for removing the word was in order that the verse might fit your theology, yes, removing the word "other" would be dishonest.

@peacedog wrote:

Your explanation reeks of the Watchtower Society and I must dismiss it for the same reason that I consider the NWT a biased, sectarian translation.

@djeggnog wrote:

Wouldn't it be somewhat surprising to discover the [doctrinal] teachings of Baptists or of Seventh-Day Adventists being discussed [and taught] in any of the publications that are published by the WTS? I don't believe it fair to [describe] that [which] I provided in my earlier post to which you are referring [to be] an "explanation" of either Hebrews 1:5 or of Hebrews 1:13, so on what basis are you saying that you found my explanation to "reek"?

@peacedog wrote:

I said it reeks of the Watchtower Society, which is to say it is exactly the sort of tactic they would use to explain a problematic verse: inserting the word "other" to change the meaning of the words biblical text. (consider Col 1:15-17)

But I didn't insert any words into the verse at Hebrews 1:13, did I? I only used the word "other" in my "commentary" on this verse.

@djeggnog wrote:

Now if you believe I did something wrong here by posting my "commentary" on the first two chapters of Hebrews based on how I understand these two chapters to be saying, please tell me what you believe I did wrong here. Before I post another message to you in this thread, I'm going to require an answer from you, because you are treating me here as if I'd done something onerous to you.

@peacedog wrote:

eggnog, you have done nothing onerous to me. I have no problem with you posting your opinion on these or any other verses. At the same time, realize that I may not agree with your opinions and I may choose to voice that disagreement. In the case of Hebrews chapter 1, I disagree with you adding the word "other" in order to change the meaning of the biblical text so that it fits with your personal theology.

What "personal theology"? I offered what amount to being an opinion as to the meaning of Hebrews chapters 1 and 2, a kind of "commentary," as it were, but I didn't add any words to the verses I quoted, not one word, because the point of a commentary is not to tamper with the Bible text at all, but to provide an explanation of the Bible text under consideration.

@djeggnog wrote:

About what exactly are you accusing me of being in denial?

@peacedog wrote:

You deny the obvious statement of Hebrews 1:5 and 1:13:

5God has never said to any of the angels, "You are my Son, because today I have become your Father!" Neither has God said to any of them, "I will be his Father, and he will be my Son!"

13God never said to any of the angels, "Sit at my right side until I make your enemies into a footstool for you!"

What "obvious statement" do you mean? Evidently the meaning of the apostle Paul's statement at Hebrews 1:5 and at Hebrews 1:13 is not so "obvious," otherwise we would not be even having this discussion, correct?

You denial is evidenced by your adding the word "other" to change the meaning of the verse to fit your theology. I recommend re-reading the verses slowly, paying particular attention to the absence of the word "other".

I didn't add the word "other" either to the text of Hebrews 1:5 or to the text of Hebrews 1:13, so your complaint, so I would accordingly recommend that you take a moment to read what it was I actually wrote to which you are here positing an objection. You might then realize that what you are here accusing me of doing I never did do since I didn't tamper with the text of either of these two verses. I merely commented on them is all.

@djeggnog wrote:

Moses, for the most part, completes the book of Deuteronomy before his death in 1473 BC, 741 years before Isaiah completes the writing of his book, some 1,505 years before another God came into existence. So Jehovah's declaration through Moses at Deuteronomy 32:39 is true.

The point that I was here making is that when Jehovah made this declaration through Moses at Deuteronomy 32:39, there existed no other God like Jehovah. In the Bible, what distinguishes a real God from others gods is whether they are immortal, for Jehovah often used His angelic sons, as well as human kings, judges and prophets to convey His will, and in the Bible Satan is himself identified as being the angelic "god of this system of things" (2 Corinthians 4:4), but none of these angels or humans possessed immortality and so none of them were real Gods. That all changed some 1,505 years after Jesus' resurrection when it was then that Jesus was given immortality by Jehovah, making him a God.

@peacedog wrote:

Are you seriously suggesting that Jehovah's declaration at Deut 32:39 ("THERE ARE NO GODS TOGETHER WITH ME") is true because Jesus didn't exist at that time?..........

No. While Jesus did preexist the founding of the world, the one that "laid the foundations of the earth" (Hebrews 1:10; Psalm 102:25-27), Jehovah's declaration is true because God "cannot lie" (Titus 1:2). But more to the real point that I believe to be your question to me here:

John refers to Jesus at John 1:18 as "the only-begotten god," but with his resurrection, he became a "new creation," for as the apostle Paul stated at 2 Corinthians 5:17, in Christ, "new things have come into existence." In 33 AD, after his resurrection from the dead by Jehovah God, Jesus became a new creation "according to the power of an indestructible life" (Hebrews 7:16). Jesus became an immortal God! It is for this reason that Thomas knew that he could rightly exclaim, upon his realization of the fact that Jesus had been resurrected at John 20:28, what he exclaimed on that occasion: "My Lord and my God!"

I suggest you re-read John 1:1. When you do so, you will note that the verse begins "In the beginning....". To what would you consider this to be a reference? The beginning of the book of John? The beginning of the week?

I have read John's prologue many times and I understand what John 1:1 means, that Jesus existed at the beginning of Jehovah's creative works, for we read at John 1:3 concerning Jesus: "All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence." Now I could just as well have quoted John here as saying --

All things came into existence through [Jesus], and apart from [Jesus] not even one thing came into existence.

-- to clarify the fact that the pronoun "him" that is used twice in this particular verse refers to Jesus, but I am not changing the verse when I do this. I am not putting a spin on the verse or pushing my own "personal theology" on anyone Whenever I do this, all I am doing is clarifying the meaning of the verse. You accused me in this last post of yours of being dishonest, you have impugned my motives in adding the word "other" in my explanation of Hebrews 1:5 and Hebrews 1:13, so what I've done here, @peacedog, is presented to you my defense to what is a false accusation.

You say my explanation "reeks" of the WTS, you describe the NWT as being "a biased, sectarian translation," you accused me of employing dishonest "tactics" in changing the Bible texts to fit my "personal theology." Touché! You are certainly entitled to all of these opinions of me, the NWT and the WTS, but it is this that I opine, @peacedog: The explanations I have provided here do not 'reek' of anything having a foul-smelling odor, the NWT is not a biased Bible translation that favors the theological viewpoints of Jehovah's Witnesses, and I have no "personal theology" at all.

I know what the Bible teaches and my theology is based on the Bible. I cannot promise you eternal life, and there is absolutely nothing that I could possibly say to anyone that could guarantee that they will be among the survivors of the great tribulation survival because I cannot get my own ticket validated until after "the sign of the Son of man" becomes manifest. So whatever "personal theology" I might have now would be totally meaningless then if it should not be based on truth, if my "personal theology" should turn out to not be based on Bible truth.

But with reference to which one of the angels has he ever said: 'Sit at my right hand, until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet'? Are they not all spirits for public service, sent forth to minister for those who are going to inherit salvation?

Note that Paul says here at Hebrews 1:14 that they, including the angel that 'sits at God's right hand,' are "all [of them] spirits for public service, sent forth to minister for those that are going to inherit salvation."

@djeggnog wrote:

But with reference to which one of the angels has he ever said: 'Sit at my right hand, until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet'? Are they not all spirits for public service, sent forth to minister for those who are going to inherit salvation?

Note that Paul says here at Hebrews 1:14 that they, including the angel that 'sits at God's right hand,' are "all [of them] spirits for public service, sent forth to minister for those that are going to inherit salvation."

@peacedog wrote:

I hardly know where to start. This is such an obvious misinterpretation of these verses...

Ok.

What Hebrews 1:13,14 says is that God never said "sit at my right hand....." to *ANY* angel, for (because, as evidenced by) angels are merely servants of those who are going to be saved. Do you see?

No, I do not "see" this at all.

Angels are "merely servants of those who are going to be saved". One such as this would not be appointed to sit at the right hand of God.

Well, wouldn't this be a bit of conjecture on your part? Why wouldn't God appoint an angel to sit at His right hand? Is it just that you don't like the idea of God giving kingdom, rulership and power to an angel? By what authority do you make this statement, @peacedog? What is the basis on which this statement of yours rests? Are we here discussing here your own "personal theology" now, you own personal viewpoint of this matter -- what things you are willing to believe to be true and what things you are simply not willing to believe to be true -- or are we here discussing what Paul is saying at Hebrews 1:13, 14?

Why wouldn't an angel be appointed by God to sit at His right hand?

Please answer me this one question, @peacedog:

Consider the CEV rendering, which is quite clear:

God never said to any of the angels, "Sit at my right side until I make your enemies into a footstool for you!" Angels are merely spirits sent to serve people who are going to be saved.

Do you see that God never said "Sit at my right hand....." to "ANY of the angels"? For angels are merely spirits sent to serve, not to sit at the right hand of God.

Now that's unfortunate, @peacedog. Do the agreed-upon terms of this discussion/debate no longer matter to you? Do you feel you're losing ground and feel a change of strategy is now in order? Do you think making a strategic move now will change things so that they are more to your liking or what are you doing? Toward the beginning of this thread, @Undisfellowshipped wrote the following:

TRINITY Challenge using ONLY the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures -- Let us debate and reason on the Scriptures about whether God Almighty is a Trinity, or is only One Person.

And @Undisfellowshipped also wrote this:

We are agreed that this debate/discussion will be about whether the Trinity Doctrine is taught or supported in the Bible, using the New World Translation.

I agreed to these terms, but since you have introduced the Contemporary English Version (CEV) rendering of Hebrews 1:13, 14, I think we should paste in here both the NWT's and the CEV's rendering of these two verses, and I'll include the rendering of these same verses according to the KJV, the ASV and the RSV, for a total of five (5) translations, and with this one exception being made for you, I will ask that you do not again seek to abrogate the terms established at the beginning of this thread by introducing renderings of the Bible text from Bible translations other than the NWT. Otherwise, this thread could become unwieldy and unnecessarily confusing and I will have to withdraw from it once this thread has lost its focus.

Now all but the CEV render Paul's words at Hebrews 1:13, 14 in a similar manner, using the word "which" (KJV, ASV, RSV) or the words "which one" (NWT), but the CEV's rendering interprets the verse to say what you have said here: "God never said to any of the angels..." Did you write the CEV? The word "God" is not used in the original Greek text of Hebrews 1:13, 14, but the CEV puts "God" right there in the verse, right there in its rendering of Hebrews 1:13, but why?

HEBREWS 1:13, 14, NWT

13 But with reference to which one of the angels has he ever said: "Sit at my right hand, until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet"? 14 Are they not all spirits for public service, sent forth to minister for those who are going to inherit salvation?

HEBREWS 1:13, 14, CEV

13 God never said to any of the angels, "Sit at my right side until I make your enemies into a footstool for you!" 14 Angels are merely spirits sent to serve people who are going to be saved.

HEBREWS 1:13, 14, KJV

13 But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool? 14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

HEBREWS 1:13, 14, ASV

13 But of which of the angels hath he said at any time, Sit thou on my right hand, Till I make thine enemies the footstool of thy feet? 14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to do service for the sake of them that shall inherit salvation?

HEBREWS 1:13, 14, RSV

13 But of which of the angels hath he said at any time, Sit thou on my right hand, Till I make thine enemies the footstool of thy feet? 14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to do service for the sake of them that shall inherit salvation?

Do the think the translators of the CEV feel they have a duty to include their own theological understanding of what they believe the apostle Paul to be saying at Hebrews 1:13 in order to help the reader to comprehend the meaning of Paul's words? You and I might know that by his use of the word "he" at Hebrews 1:13 that the apostle is referring to God, but should the Bible translator be arranging the text in such a way that they put a word into Paul's mouth that amounts to its interpreting the text, rather than just translating it?

The readers of the CEV wouldn't have any way of knowing this, because they may not even have a Bible written in the koine Greek in which this Greek text was written because they may not possess the ability to read the Greek language copy. They would be relying upon the abilities of the CEV translators, not to interpret the Greek text, but to render the Greek text using words from a lexicon that they can comprehend, so they would expect to be reading the Greek text rendered into English, if it is English they read, or into Spanish if it is Spanish that they read, or into French if it is French that they read, and so forth.

In rendering Hebrews 1:13, 14, the CEV goes further than the other four Bible translations here in foreclosing the thought that God made a choice as implied by the word "which" or "which one," for the CEV knocks the whole idea out of the ballpark when it says, "God never said to any of the angels...." Without any qualifiers, the English language word, "which," implies choice, that a choice is being made between two or more things. By his use of the words, "the angels," Paul is clearly referring to "two or more" angels and the very implication of his use of the word, "which" in what he says at Hebrews 1:13 is that the apostle is there talking about a choice that had been made among these angels, which cannot be comprehended when one reads the CEV, but is comprehended when one reads the NWT, the KJV, the ASV and the RSV.

Above you stated that you found my explanation to 'reek' of the WTS, and you went on to describe the NWT as being "a biased, sectarian translation," while accusing me of employing dishonest "tactics" and changing Bible texts to fit my "personal theology." I'm sure you will remember saying all of these things. But clearly the CEV demonstrates a theological bias that favors comprehending Paul's words at Hebrews 1:13 differently than how someone else that reads this same text at Hebrews 1:13 would comprehend Paul's words were they to be reading them in the NWT, the KJV, the ASV or the RSV, correct? Paul never wrote, "God never said to any of the angels...," but readers of the CEV wouldn't know this, would they? Would you regard this example as being a case of theological dishonesty on the part of the CEV translators, of the CV being "a biased, sectarian translation"? Or, would you just give the CEV translators a pass?

Looking at how the same five (5) Bible translations render another verse -- Luke 24:37 -- please tell me which of the five do not faithfully render the words of the gospel writer Luke, but introduces its own theological leanings into this verse:

LUKE 24:37, NWT

37 But because they were terrified, and had become frightened, they were imagining they beheld a spirit.

LUKE 24:37, CEV

37 They were frightened and terrified because they thought they were seeing a ghost.

LUKE 24:37, KJV

37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.

LUKE 24:37, ASV

37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they beheld a spirit.

LUKE 24:37, RSV

37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they beheld a spirit.

Do the think the translators of the CEV feel they have a duty to include their own theological understanding of what they believed Luke to have been saying here at Luke 24:37 in order to help the reader to comprehend the meaning of Luke's words, considering that four of the five Bible translators here do not render the Greek word they rendered into English as "spirit" as "ghost"? What do you think Luke to have been saying here about these frightened, terrified people that had been gathered together in a room behind a closed door when suddenly Jesus pops into the room? I mean Jesus could have just knocked on the door and maybe someone in the room would have opened the door so that he could have entered the room in a more conventional manner, right? But the text at Luke 24:37 indicates that Jesus didn't do that; he didn't knock on the door. He suddenly materializes right before their eyes as a fully clothed man -- one would assume that Jesus wasn't naked! -- so that they became terrified and frightened over thinking that a spirit had just popped into the room, and that they were now looking at a spirit.

Now what did Luke mean? Do you even know what Luke was saying had occurred in this room on this particular occasion? Was Luke intimating that there is such a thing as ghosts, or was the CEV's use of the word "ghost" based on the CEV translator's theological leanings since nowhere in the Bible does it teach the existence of ghosts? I can only imagine someone that uses the CEV and points to Luke 24:37 in order to prove that the Bible teaches that ghosts really exist, when this is not something that the Bible teaches at all.

The CEV's use of the word "ghost" here contradicts the Bible, for in connection with the witch of Endor at 1 Samuel 28:12-14, note that only the spirit medium was able to see "Samuel," for King Saul saw nothing and he had to rely upon her spiritistic powers to tell Saul what it was she saw:

When the woman saw "Samuel" she began crying out at the top of her voice; and the woman went on to say to Saul: "Why did you trick me, when you yourself are Saul?" But the king said to her: "Do not be afraid, but what did you see?" And the woman went on to say to Saul: "A god I saw coming up out of the earth." At once he said to her: "What is his form?" to which she said: "It is an old man coming up, and he has himself covered with a sleeveless coat." At that Saul recognized that it was "Samuel," and he proceeded to bow low with his face to the earth and to prostrate himself.

You see, 1 Samuel 28:12-14 is talking about a wicked spirit -- a demon -- that only this medium was able to "see," and, of course, we know that the reason King Saul was unable to see "Samuel" is because it was after the global deluge that the ability that these wicked angels had to able to materialize as men in fleshly bodies so that they could be seen by other humans was no longer possible for them to do.

Now Luke never wrote that Jesus' disciples "thought they were seeing a ghost," but how would readers of the CEV know this? So what did Luke mean by "spirit"? What was Luke saying that Jesus' disciples thought they were beholding? Answer: An unclean spirit is what they thought was in the same room where they were and this thought of being in a locked room with a demon is something that both terrified and frightened them. Now why didn't the NWT just add the word "unclean" to the verse at Luke 24:37? Because contrary to what you choose to believe about the WTS, those that sat on the Translation Committee that produced the NWT did not feel it had some duty to include its own theological understanding of what they believed Luke to have been saying at Luke 24:37 in order to help the reader to comprehend the meaning of Luke's words. Yes, the NWT could have rendered Luke 24:37 like this --

But because they were terrified, and had become frightened, they were imagining they beheld [an unclean] spirit.

-- but the NWT faithfully translated the Greek text into English. It is for those reading the Bible to determine its meaning and not the duty of the Bible translator to impose its own theological leanings on any Bible verse. Just as when the word "Jehovah" is found in the NWT in certain places in the Greek text, such as Luke 20:42, where other Bible translations quote Jesus' words, but substitute a word like "LORD" in their rendering of Luke 20:42, we know that Jesus used the divine name "Jehovah," because he was quoting from Psalm 110:1, which psalm the ASV translates, "Jehovah saith unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, Until I make thine enemies thy footstool."

The NWT does not change the words used in the original text, except where it is clear that someone else improperly tampered with the text. The Greek Septuagint Bible that Jesus and his apostles used during the first century renders Psalm 110:1 in Greek, but this rendering included the Hebrew tetragrammaton "YHWH" when rendering the psalmist's words. What the NWT does not do is change a word like "spirit" and render it as "ghost" instead as does the CEV.

Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days." The Jews replied, "It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and you are going to raise it in three days?" But the temple he had spoken of was his body. (John 2:19-21)

Did Jesus say *HE* was going to raise his body or did he not?

As the apostle John explains at John 2:21, Jesus wasn't referring to his own physical body, but he was rather making reference there to "the temple of his body." Note how the apostle Paul's own words at 1 Corinthians 6:19 makes this point clear: "Do you not know that the body of you people is [the] temple of the holy spirit within you, which you have from God?" Also, Paul makes the very same point at 1 Corinthians 3:16: "Do you not know that you people are God’s temple, and that the spirit of God dwells in you?" And so when was this "temple of the holy spirit" raised up?

It was on the third day when Jesus gave life to the "lifeless corpse" of the "body" of Christians that had been gathered together in that room, for at John 20:21-23 Jesus animated that "body" when he said the following: "'Just as the Father has sent me forth, I also am sending you.' And after he said this he blew upon them and said to them: 'Receive holy spirit. If you forgive the sins of any persons, they stand forgiven to them; if you retain those of any persons, they stand retained.'"

• Think About It
    Think About It
    @Think About It:

According to the doctrine of the Trinity:
    (1) God is the Father, and, (2) Jesus is God. Therefore, by transitivity, according to the doctrine of the Trinity: (3) Jesus is the Father. Yet, according to the doctrine of the Trinity, Jesus is not the Father.
    So, according to the doctrine of the Trinity, Jesus both is and is not the Father.
    Nicely said!

Credit William of Ockham. (Occum's razor fame)

Think About It

• Podobear
    Podobear

@ peacedog: I am sorry if I have misunderstood your understanding of the point that I am trying to clarify here. The only point I am labouring (I also do not wish to appear to be ignoring the other research areas) is Undisfellowshipped's assertion that Jesus is the Jehovah of the New Testament. You agree that he is not.. thank you.. my viewpoint entirely, and that is why I have been waiting for a sound explanation of the passages in Psalm110:1 and Revelation 3:7-12. You promised to follow up on this once Debator had replied, that is all. And, thank you for your consideration.

@ Think About It: You probably are the closest mind set I have here... I was born into the Church of England, raised Pentecostal (drew the same conclusions on the Trinity as you have done) and converted to be a JW. Currently, I hold no religious affiliation, but have not abandoned my fundamental belief in an all loving Creator and an orderly, structured Universe. Spiritual but not religious.. I guess.

Podo

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@djeggnog wrote:

Moses, for the most part, completes the book of Deuteronomy before his death in 1473 BC, 741 years before Isaiah completes the writing of his book, some 1,505 years before another God came into existence. So Jehovah's declaration through Moses at Deuteronomy 32:39 is true. Isaiah began to prophesy in the year 778 BC and the book bearing his name (Isaiah) came to be completed in or about the year 732 BC. What I am saying to you is this: When you read Jehovah's declaration through Isaiah at Isaiah 44:6 that "'I am the first and I am the last, and besides me there is no God. And who is there like me? ... Does there exist a God besides me? No, there is no Rock. I have recognized none,'" is also true. One would need to realize that it would be 764 years after the completion of Isaiah's prophecy that another God came into existence, an only-begotten god, who was not only given by Jehovah God a name that is above every name named, but was the first to be given immortality. This God through whom even the angels of Jehovah render worship is God's firstborn Son, the God whose own God and Father, Jehovah, made Jesus both Lord and Christ. (Acts 2:36) So why not take a right viewpoint.

On edit, what I should have written is this (and I think this reads much better):

"This God through whom even the angels of Jehovah render worship is God's firstborn Son, the God whose own God and Father, Jehovah, made both Lord and Christ, Jesus. (Acts 2:36) So why not take a right viewpoint."

@Undisfellowshipped wrote:

Wow o wow! I am somewhat in shock from reading that.

First, let me tell you thanks and I appreciate hearing from a Witness an explanation of Deuteronomy 32:39 and Isaiah 44:6. I have never had a Witness discuss those two verses with me before. The reason i am shocked is, that since you are one of Jehovah's Witnesses (you did say that you are a Witness, didn't you?) I was not expecting you to say what you said at all.

Yes, I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses, and I'm probably going to say many things here that you may have heard and were even taught, but as one of Jehovah's Witnesses -- for whatever reason -- you and others did not learn. Unlike many of Jehovah's Witnesses (and what I'm about to say is certainly cannot be said as to the majority of Jehovah's people by any means!), I don't "parrot" what things I hear others say, nor do I permit anyone to tell me according to their own understanding of what they believe the WTS means by something they have read in our publications. At Luke 8:17, 18, Jesus said the following:

For there is nothing hidden that will not become manifest, neither anything carefully concealed that will never become known and never come into the open. Therefore, pay attention to how you listen; for whoever has, more will be given him, but whoever does not have, even what he imagines he has will be taken away from him.

It seems evident that you heard me and, more importantly, that you were paying attention. I know this is like you've been transported to a Kingdom Hall somewhere and sharing a point or two with you that you've never heard before even though the WTS has published these point several times in recent years, but for whatever reason, even though you believe you have at all times been "paying attention," you were just memorizing what things you were hearing. Maybe because the points that were being made sounded like new information that you had never come across before, maybe you were fascinated by the speaker's charisma, who knows, but were you listening? Hardly. Well, you're doing fine if you're able to "pay attention" to what I am saying to you and everyone else here, but you will do better if you "pay attention to how you listen" to what I say here.

First of all, I would like to ask for clarification of your statement.

Ok, I'm going to be responding to this and to the rest of your questions momentarily, but before I do so, I'm going to digress here a moment, @Undisfellowshipped, and then pick up from where this digression began in a subsequent post.

You say you were "somewhat in shock" over what things I said in my previous post, but this board has surprised me a lot, too. I had thought by my joining @Undisfellowshipped's thread here, I would hear new arguments or actually facelifts of old arguments made over, or even some brand new ones by apostates,* but nothing like this is occurring, and @Undisfellowshipped comes across to me as being a nice guy with very strong trinitarian beliefs, but for some reason he's not bringing it. Why it's interesting that no one at all here has yet attacked me for attacking their particular theological viewpoint on the trinity using only the NWT, and my guess is that this is due to the respect that many people on this forum have for the Bible; I don't really know.

I'd have to say that @Peacedog "brought it," like the kids are wont to say. He was pulling no punches with me and that was great, because you won't get to know the truth unless you are willing to fight for it. It's not going to be given to you and, sad to say, many of the young people that were raised in Christian households, or, as we used to say, "raised in the truth," become adults and often decide to leave the truth (why?) because they didn't fight for the faith. And why is that? Because they were never taught what the apostle Paul meant by what he was admonishing all Christians to do at 1 Timothy 6:12:

Fight the fine fight of the faith, get a firm hold on the everlasting life for which you were called and you offered the fine public declaration in front of many witnesses.

Some of you here are baptized, which means that you have made an unreserved dedication to God to do His will and recognize your responsibility to work, not by your lonesome, preaching your own version of the good news, but with Jehovah’s spirit-directed organization. So on two counts many folks have not been living up to their dedication, but they like the fine Christian association and most of their friends are Jehovah's Witnesses and they don't want to lose that friendship, and many of them have family members in the truth now, and so they are attending meetings and going through the motions of serving God, but in reality they're not serving God at all, for they've pretty much left the truth as many of you here have done (why?) because no one has yet taught you, no one has yet taught any of them, that they need to fight for the faith.

Jesus told us how this can be done: By paying attention to how we listen. If you have been baptized, then you've made a dedication to Jehovah God to do His will and God won't let you take back your vow. In many ways, I'm just like Jehovah. You make a promise to me -- and I'm not talking about a loan because circumstances can suddenly change (like losing one's job or being diagnosed with the Big "C" or one of your children becomes gravely ill) and can often make our word to pay someone back what money we may have borrowed from them sour -- I'm expecting you to keep it. If you flake on me, that's ok, but I won't let you take back your promise to me, so if a deal of mine falls through because of you, you are somehow going to make it right or we're done.

This is how Jehovah is, too, for if you make a vow to Him and then, for any reason, should decide not to keep it, He's not trying to hear how the woman accidently fell on your penis about 27 times over the last eight months and how it became harder and harder to stop premeditatedly giving your credit card number to hotel clerks to facilitate these illicit liaisons with your lover (and now that you think of it, it may have been closer to 72 times!) or how surprised you were upon learning that your lover would actually lie to you about her taking birth control pills when your wife was in shock when she first came to learn that you, a congregation elder, were the subject of those judicial committee meetings. But if you who are Jehovah's property by virtue of the dedication that you have made to Him, you who have disowned yourself so that you now belong to God, have broken your vow of faithfulness to Him, Jehovah will exact punishment against any of His servants that should fail to keep his or her vow since a dedicated servant of His must make it right or Jehovah will cast you off forever. (1 Chronicles 28:9)

I've heard all of the excuses and so has Jehovah, but what He is interested in is faithfulness to one's vows, that we're keeping our word, our promise, our vow, because He wants us to attain to repentance in order that we might become the nucleus of the world to come, and if we should disappoint ourselves and engage in any acts of faithlessness toward God, Jehovah won't like it, but He knows our limitations with respect to the flesh and as long as we are repentant He's ever ready to forgive us our trespasses, and as long as we humbly accept discipline from Him, He will not remember our sin even, if like the prodigal, you've been out of His household and running from His discipline for 10, 15 or 20 years.

Now the paucity of Bible knowledge that exists here among posters that are still active Jehovah's Witnesses and ex-Jehovah's Witnesses is really the subject of the letter I'm currently writing ("you guys" are all anonymous, so don't worry!), but despite the insults and name-calling by some (from which folks derive much enjoyment, I guess) not one of the alleged apostates that are supposed to be here have yet to engage me. What I've seen here are hurt people, folks broken in spirit, but not a single apostate, because one must know the truth to be able to resist it or to speak against it. My hope is that by my presence here -- and I'm just one man -- some here will get to learn what the Bible teaches and not what they understood a particular article taught or what the elders in the Kingdom Halls they used to attend believed to be the truth, because the truth is found in the Bible and not in our publications.

I hope everyone is hearing me will understand that when I say here that the truth is not in our publications, what I'm saying is that our publications are not written under divine inspiration, and certainly not by infallible people. The proof of this is that the WTS always needs to make an adjustment to one of the doctrines we teach, like the adjustment in our understanding of "this generation" at Matthew 24:34 (why?) because our beliefs are not static, and we humbly realized that we were mistaken in our view on this, and so we printed an article to keep us all united in faith and speaking in agreement.

Some here, like you, @Undisfellowshipped, seem to derive enjoyment from posting old articles that contain information in them that they think Jehovah's Witnesses believe, and think they are right about what some Jehovah's Witnesses believe, even those we may no longer embraced such beliefs, which tells me that maybe they didn't know the truth and never did know it (sorry @Undisfellowshipped, but based solely on the things you said in this thread, I really believe this to be true about you). In this very thread, I did a kind of "commentary" on Hebrews chapters 1 and 2, and what I wrote was based on the truth as I know it, and not on something written in one of our publications (Why?) because for one thing, the truth is progressive, and, secondly, like I've already stated, an article written six months ago will often contain one thing or two in it that the worldwide association of brothers had to abandon because it was not based on truth.

Perhaps it would be good for all to read the points in the article, "Maintaining a Balanced Viewpoint Toward Disfellowshiped Ones" ([w74 8/1, 466-473]), for even though this article was published back in 1974, the information in it is still current in that speaks about humility and to the role of elders in helping you to regain an approved standing in God's Great Spiritual House where Jehovah God dwells in person. If you've been baptized, you already have your white robe, you're already dedicated, but you need to be able to put it on since only white robe wearers are being saved through the coming great tribulation. It is maybe @Titus' shtick to say this, but he's right about the concern of some here about the Jehovah's Witnesses that come to this forum getting into trouble.

The WTS publishes these kinds of articles because many Jehovah's Witnesses, who have been such for 10, 20, 30 years, have proven to be easy prey for disgruntled ones and apostates, especially family members, and they have fallen victim to their tactics because they were in the truth, but didn't know it sufficiently to defend against these predators of their faith, which is why websites like this one, which can cause whatever doubts that one has to surface, can damage one's relationship with Jehovah, and this is the reason for the advice given regarding the dangers of social networks and the like. Why on earth would someone be disfellowshipped for visiting this website? If it were a porn website on the internet that one was to visit, and one's addiction to making such visits to the site should manifest itself in loose conduct that cannot be retarded and curbed, this, of course, would be a different matter.

Those of you here that think you can go back to 1924 or 1896 or whatever and discover what Jehovah's Witnesses believe today are just ignorant about the progressive nature of the Christian faith in which we all ought to be walking. If you cannot use your own Bible to explain what things you believe without pulling out the "Reasoning," "Bible Teach ..." or maybe the latest Watchtower to do so, then you don't know it, you need to study up on it, because just as Jesus didn't carry parchments in his ministry, Jesus' apostles didn't carry a lot of scrolls around with them in their ministry (and just maybe a letter or two), Jehovah's Witnesses should be able to adequately use the sword of the spirit to accomplish their ministry.

The Bible literature we have is to be used for personal or congregational study as well as in conducting Bible studies only, and if you didn't know this, then you didn't know, and Jehovah knows this. I'm convinced that Jehovah has not forgotten your work and the love you showed for His name (Hebrews 6:10) and if you've learned anything about Jehovah from you read of the Bible, you already know that He's very good at forgiving others, and not only that: Jehovah excels and take the lead in extending mercy to others. We have those things we like doing because Jehovah made us this way, and being merciful is His thing. Did you do something you knew to be wrong? Here a few things that might resonate with some of you here:

Did you enter a conspiracy with someone to do something wrong? Did you steal something (like a notebook PC) from your job? Maybe you assaulted someone because they disrespected you or someone with you? Did you murder someone? Or, did you touch someone's child improperly? Did you miss the euphoria of getting wasted and began to grope one of your spiritual sisters while drunk? Did cigarettes begin calling your name again? Did you have to do a little jail time for what you did or for what you were accused and found guilty of doing, and embarrassment, with everyone knowing what you did, is keeping you away. Is sitting next to the woman against whom conspired to obtain a divorce or sitting next to the man whose wife you stole and married so uncomfortable for you that you have stayed away?

I know the stories, I know many stories, I've heard the recriminations and I've heard the painful crying out, all of it, but Jehovah loves you anyway and He's forgiving all of this, even though your ex or her ex, or several of the sisters or one of the children you improperly touched have a righteous hatred for you and rightly so. That hatred is a part of the scourging that is due for what you did, but you did do it, so let them stare and talk about you, Jehovah is forgiving scarlet kind of sinners, too, not just the yellow kind or the green kind of sinners if you let him forgive you, even if no one else will. Maybe one year, two years, three years (what did you do?), but you'll be reinstated and all of the murmuring about you will diminish.

In the meantime, talk to the elders and arrange to study the Bible and you learn what things the Bible teaches, not what you believe the article or the book you read teaches. Ask questions, lots of them, and if the brother or the sister you ask cannot answer one of them or doesn't want to answer one of them, find someone else. Come here to this forum and ask me; I'll answer all of your Bible-related questions. Maybe I can find someone near you to help you as well. But learn the truth, learn what the Bible teaches and don't let the imperfections of others cause you to lose the opportunity to be numbered among that "great crowd" that comes out of the great tribulation.

I believe that the majority of this "category" of posters (for lack of a better way to describe them) have learned more about what Jehovah's Witnesses believe and how the preaching work is organized, but less about what things the Bible teaches. Read the Bible, use the publications to help you to learn what it says and asking others for help with the harder to understand things, know what it says and only then can you live by what it says.

Either way, I have never ever heard a Jehovah's Witness teach this or believe this (I was "raised in the truth" and I went to meetings for 20 years and talked to many many Jehovah's Witnesses).

Like I stated above, it is evident to me that no one ever taught you that a servant of God must fight for the faith. Consequently, you went through the motions growing up, but were never "in the truth."

In fact, either way you meant it, are you aware that what you said actually goes against the Watchtower Society's official teachings in their publications? For the benefit of all of the viewers of this thread (and perhaps to enlighten you if you overlooked these Watchtower publications), I am going to post a few direct quotes from these Watchtower publications right here:

Don't be silly. Between you and I, I'm the one "in the truth" and you don't get to "enlighten" me on anything, except as to the basis of your belief in the Trinity doctrine. Jehovah's Witnesses have beliefs that are based on the Bible, but what we do not have are "official teachings" since something we may have believed to be true nine months ago will quickly be abandoned when as adjustment in our understanding of a particular doctrinal matter becomes necessary. I have said nothing new or anything that departs from what Jehovah's Witnesses believe that the Bible teaches.

What may be our understanding today may become what we used to believe tomorrow, so we really do not have any official teachings. BTW, the WTS is only the publishing arm of Jehovah's Witnesses where our governing body meets to discuss current events in the light of Bible prophecy and to organize our worldwide preaching activity. You may, in fact, be one of those that spent over 20 years learning more about what Jehovah's Witnesses believe and about the WTS, without their really having learned anything as to what things the Bible teaches. Memorizing scriptures and specific articles printed by the WTS is no substitute for obtaining an accurate knowledge of Bible truth.

Anyway, I am familiar with much of what is contained in our publications, but, as I understand it, @Undisfellowshipped, this particular thread is about whether the Trinity doctrine has scriptural support:

We are agreed that this debate/discussion will be about whether the Trinity Doctrine is taught or supported in the Bible, using the New World Translation.

What this thread is not about is what a particular article that appeared in the Watchtower might have stated about the Trinity. If I should feel I need proof from you of something contained in one of our publications, I will ask you, but this preoccupation of yours (and others here) of quoting old articles to make your point is not the same as your quoting from the Bible to make your point. It wastes the time of everyone here that thought they would be reading a discussion or debate having to do with the Trinity doctrine, only to discover instead that you want to post articles written by folks who aren't here to defend what things they have written. If there is going to be much more of this, I will have to withdraw, because right now you are derailing your own thread by not discussing what the Bible itself teaches that you believe supports the Trinity doctrine.

When I was going to meetings for 20 years, the Witnesses always taught that Jesus was a god right from the beginning, from when He was first created, before the Universe was created.

So what exactly do you understand me to be saying here? Are you reading just my words here without comprehension kicking in? Jehovah's Witnesses believe what things the Bible teaches, and one of the things that Bible teaches is that Jesus had a prehuman existence, and that before he became the man, Jesus, he was "a god," an angelic creature, whose name is Michael, and it was Jesus (Michael) that served as a master worker alongside God in '[laying] the foundations of the earth" (Hebrews 1:10; Psalm 102:25-27).

Now, if you truly believe what you said up above, if you believe that is what the Scriptures teach, then that is fine, you should teach it then, but I was just shocked to see that your beliefs were so different from the Watchtower's teachings on this.

Why do you conflate what things are taught in Watchtower articles with the things that the Bible itself teaches? There are some places on Planet Earth where there are hardly Bibles available to Jehovah's Witnesses to use, let alone any of our literature, but the brothers and sisters in these lands regularly conduct home Bible studies using just their own Bible and their own notes. You seem to be like many active Jehovah's Witnesses today that pore through the Watchtower articles and books contained on the WT Library CD in search of articles that they think will impress the congregation, even the elders, because they really do not know the truth, and their motives are not right with Jehovah for they crave the praise and attention they receive and never study to show themselves approved. After 10 years, after 20 years, after 30 years, they drift away from us because they were putting their faith in WTS publications and "always learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge of truth." (2 Timothy 3:7) Perhaps this very thing that I have just described here has happened in your case, @Undisfellowshipped. You are currently not an active Witness, and yet you love quoting from WTS literature as if our literature has as much or more value than the Bible. Now I am an active Witness and yet you do not see me quoting or citing article after article after article to make any of my points! What is wrong with this picture?

*An apostate would be someone that has become decidedly alienated from God in that he or she has come to learn what things the Bible teaches, but resists what things he or she has learned by teaching and saying things to others that he or she not only knows to be false, knows these things to be contrary to what the Bible teaches. I have said that one doesn't necessarily need to have submitted to water baptism to behave in an apostate manner and believe me: This is true.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@djeggnog wrote:

Moses, for the most part, completes the book of Deuteronomy before his death in 1473 BC, 741 years before Isaiah completes the writing of his book, some 1,505 years before another God came into existence. So Jehovah's declaration through Moses at Deuteronomy 32:39 is true. Isaiah began to prophesy in the year 778 BC and the book bearing his name (Isaiah) came to be completed in or about the year 732 BC. What I am saying to you is this: When you read Jehovah's declaration through Isaiah at Isaiah 44:6 that "'I am the first and I am the last, and besides me there is no God. And who is there like me? ... Does there exist a God besides me? No, there is no Rock. I have recognized none,'" is also true. One would need to realize that it would be 764 years after the completion of Isaiah's prophecy that another God came into existence, an only-begotten god, who was not only given by Jehovah God a name that is above every name named, but was the first to be given immortality. This God through whom even the angels of Jehovah render worship is God's firstborn Son, the God whose own God and Father, Jehovah, made both Lord and Christ, Jesus. (Acts 2:36) So why not take a right viewpoint." (edited)

@Undisfellowshipped wrote:

First of all, I would like to ask for clarification of your statement. Did you mean to say that The Logos/Word did not come into existence until 1,505 years after Moses, OR did you mean to say that The Logos/Word did not BECOME A GOD until 1,505 years after Moses?

@peacedog asked me this same question, but I don't mind re-posting a portion of what it was I wrote him:

The point that I was here making is that when Jehovah made this declaration through Moses at Deuteronomy 32:39, there existed no other God like Jehovah. In the Bible, what distinguishes a real God from others gods is whether they are immortal, for Jehovah often used His angelic sons, as well as human kings, judges and prophets to convey His will, and in the Bible Satan is himself identified as being the angelic "god of this system of things" (2 Corinthians 4:4), but none of these angels or humans possessed immortality and so none of them were real Gods. That all changed some 1,505 years after Jesus' resurrection when it was then that Jesus was given immortality by Jehovah, making him a God.

@peacedog wrote:

Are you seriously suggesting that Jehovah's declaration at Deut 32:39 ("THERE ARE NO GODS TOGETHER WITH ME") is true because Jesus didn't exist at that time?..........

No. While Jesus did preexist the founding of the world, the one that "laid the foundations of the earth" (Hebrews 1:10; Psalm 102:25-27), Jehovah's declaration is true because God "cannot lie" (Titus 1:2). But more to the real point that I believe to be your question to me here:

John refers to Jesus at John 1:18 as "the only-begotten god," but with his resurrection, he became a "new creation," for as the apostle Paul stated at 2 Corinthians 5:17, in Christ, "new things have come into existence." In 33 AD, after his resurrection from the dead by Jehovah God, Jesus became a new creation "according to the power of an indestructible life" (Hebrews 7:16). Jesus became an immortal God! It is for this reason that Thomas knew that he could rightly exclaim, upon his realization of the fact that Jesus had been resurrected at John 20:28, what he exclaimed on that occasion: "My Lord and my God!"

@Undisfellowshipped:

Let's closely examine John 1:1-2:

John 1:1-2 (NWT): In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god. This one was in [the] beginning with God. Didn't John clearly and emphatically say that "IN THE BEGINNING... the Word WAS A GOD"? Did I miss something? Am I reading that passage wrong?

Yes, I believe you are. You're comprehending this passage at John 1:1, 2 in much the same way that many other people besides yourself understand this passage.

And, as if verse 1 was not enough, John REPEATS it again just to make sure we understand what he is teaching: "THIS ONE [i.e. this "god" just mentioned] was in the BEGINNING with God." How do you explain what John meant when he said "IN THE BEGINNING"?

I suggest you re-read John 1:1. When you do so, you will note that the verse begins "In the beginning....". To what would you consider this to be a reference? The beginning of the book of John? The beginning of the week?

I have read John's prologue many times and I understand what John 1:1 means, that Jesus existed at the beginning of Jehovah's creative works, for we read at John 1:3 concerning Jesus: "All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit