Did you really pay attention at conventions or assemblies?

by donny 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

"A few years ago now, I think it was Southampton, we had streaker. He walked in wearing only boxer shorts, (attendants obviously asleep), dropped them and ran on to the field."

How come nothing like that ever happened at our conventions? Darn.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

You guys are hilarious....

In order to maintain my sanity as a kid I became and expert at being able to zone out for hours as soon as the program started. I still heard everything and could repeat back main points when quizzed later...as hard as I tried, the drone of the speakers voice would automaticly trigger zone out mode in my brain. This habbit did make it difficult in school at times. I remember clapping at the end of talks, not because it was a good talk but because it was finally over !!

As little kids we'd count how many times you heard the word Jesus or Jehovah or try to be the first one to clap at the end of a talk. One time they announced that there was a car in the parking lot with it's lights on and my brother started clapping. He was the lone clapper in a crowd of 6,000 people...it was hilarious. as we got older we used to scour the stands to find our friends or look for cute girls or weird people.

At the last convention I attended, through binoculars, I saw a guy I know dozing off so I sent him a text message....WAKE UP! He had forgotten to turn off his phone. It was fun to see him jump when the message came in and see everyone around him trying to hide the smirks on their faces.

One assembly was at a stadium where there were some tennis courts nearby which could be seen if you were up in the stands. Watching the matches made the day go by quicker. One of the days, a couple of the players took off their cloths and played naked just to shock all the religious folks at the stadium. Nobody was listening to the talk during that session.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Is that where you stay tuned in for the raise in pitch of the speaker and try to be the one to get the clap started? Me and my friends did that too.

Yep, it was a great game and we never got in trouble for it.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury
    A few years ago now, I think it was Southampton, we had streaker. He walked in wearing only boxer shorts, (attendants obviously asleep), dropped them and ran on to the field. A few attendants chased him and after an absolute age caught him and put a sheet around him and took him away. That woke everyone up!
    George

I wasnt there as it wasnt my district anymore, but wasnt it a big black guy that was well endowed and so gave the sisters a sight to remember?

Woohoo! finally worked out how to quote!! (I hope)

Cheers

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

I would doodle in my notebook or write fan fiction so that it looked like I was paying attention.

The best part about being female at the assemblies was that I could arrange my hair to cover my face, lean against the arm rest, and take a nap!

• St George of England
    St George of England

but wasnt it a big black guy that was well endowed and so gave the sisters a sight to remember?

Yes he was a 'big' black guy; not very tall, not very broad, but.....

My wife couldn't look (so she said).

George

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

As a kid, nope, always day-dreamed. In my teens, nope, wondered who I was gonna meet (young girl) and what I would say or plan the after session dinner at some restaurant and make sure she was invited.

As an adult... clapped because I was happy it was over. Never took notes. I never looked at them afterwards and my hands would get tired of writing after the second talk. As I got older I would spend half the morning and afternoon sessions walking around with my friends or alone to try to catch a sister in the back and talk to her for a while. Missed a few DC's in my time and never missed it.

I hate when everyone says after the DC is over, "what an upbuilding convention!" or "this convention is so timely!" or "wow this convention really shows that we are living in the last days!" When I ask, "oh what point made you feel that specifically over any of the other conventions you've been to?" Blank gaze or "that point about how we are living in the last days"... Right. Like that's a new point...

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

"Yes he was a 'big' black guy; not very tall, not very broad, but....."

Now I really feel cheated! I would have hated to be asleep for that one!

• ambersun
    ambersun

I just asked my husband if he paid attention at conventions and he said of course not, he never listened to a thing, he only ever had one thing on his mind - to eye up the crumpet. Oh well, I hope it was all worth it cos he ended up with me

As for me, I was a bit like exwhyzee and zoned in and out with some part of my brain aborbing enough of the droning to get me through being quizzed later, waking up to clap enthusiastically when the tone of voice announced it was finally the end of yet another monotonous session so I could escape for a bit, and obviously eye up the talent.

Oooh I wish that streaker had been at one of our conventions

• cantleave
    cantleave

St George I remember that streaker. I was working that day so missed it, but Nugget gave me the edited highlights. I loved Southampton assemblies at the Dell - especially when they were interrupted - there was a bomb scare once and always an aposate outside with his banners and boards. Those were the days - ahhhhhhhh!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit