PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT- CULTURE

by serenitynow! 113 Replies latest jw friends

• Twitch
    Twitch
    heh, I made that one up. Growing up in Texas, the racist called Mexicans "wetbacks" (they cross the rio-grande), so I thought Canadians should be "icebacks". Few people outside of Texas get the joke. Which makes it even better, eh?

Beauty, eh

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Is that sensual or something, what is the appeal?

Good question. When it was chocolate covered strawberries dipped in whipped cream, I found it very sensual; erotic even. When it was collard greens and sweetpotato pie, not so much.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Wow, really?? I guess if you can't keep yourself from saying inflammatory and ignorant things (on purpose)

then black people will better off
    because of your avoidance. What is your culture BTW? I'd really like to know so that I know I can be rude around those

folks with no worries.

I was being sarcastic, for the most part. I'm not saying it's ok to intentionally offend people - but if stealing a french fry is on the list of things that could get me a 'fist in the face' - well, screw it! What else might get me a fist in the face? Do I want to be around individuals who are likely to respond with violence to a single word, or "messin' with the 'do"?

You can say nearly anything at my table... and you'd be extremely hard pressed to find something that would land you a fist in the face. I might ask you to stop, or to leave...

I think in a large group like this though - you need a thick skin. People bash liberals, atheists, etc. all the time, and sometimes you just have to shake your head and close the thread.

- Lime

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

:ahem: methinks someone doesn't want to admit their Albanerian roots ;)

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Sorry, I'm offended by people who are easily offended.

- Lime

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

It is a word with a long history of hurt behind it. It's not good for anyone to use it, but if you happen to be non-black and use it, it brings all that history to the forefront. And yes if you use hurtful, insulting words toward a person (on purpose) just be prepared for consequences. I was exaggerating a bit for effect, as I have never punched a person in the face, the point is- you'll experience consequences & repercussions.

When it comes to the food and the hair thing obviously if you are friends with a person you know how they are, what is cool with them, so do whatever.

And honestly, for the most part, if you have basic manners you should be able to be friends with people of different races and cultures without feeling terribly inhibited. If you are a person who is raw with absolutely no filter, than you are are probably going to be limited in terms of who you can associate with.

I've worked with people from a variety of races and I have let them know when they have crossed a line. I do it in a nice way, cause I want them to be educated so they don't go out on the street and do it where who knows what might happen.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

I agree with HintOfLime. How dare you set rules like this. What would be the difference between this and a white poster requesting that black posters not use words or phrases from black culture on the white posters threads? For godssake give us a break. Most of what you've read is probably unintentional anyway, but if another poster slings N***** or monkey at you, either call'em a dirty cracker or let the mods handle it.

My 2 cents

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

dangit I hate when someone suckerpunches me with a well thought out post when I was trying to deal out a little comeuppance.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Bravo serenity. If you had said it that way the first time...

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

My last girlfriend was black and thinking about it she hated me touching her hair!

Paul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit