Fight with wife over watching Avatar escalates to near-separation--true story

by sd-7 108 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

All wise words. I will give them thought.

Scully, you probably could've condensed your description of Elsa in The Last Crusade--not that I mind its length, but I definitely get what you're saying (and I guess you probably know I've seen it like a million times!). I was half-expecting you to add further with Indy trying to get the Grail himself, and his father finally saying, "Indiana. Let it go." But that's a good example.

I know this fight wasn't about Avatar, really. It is hard for a person like me to face the fact that I really am being abused by this woman. That's like....a pretty upsetting thing, to know that I come home to someone who is abusing me--and doing so with JW impunity. There's been a lot of that handed her way, actually. Would they really be telling her to stir up the pot? Naive to think they wouldn't, I suppose. It is war, after all, and unlike me, they will not hesitate. "Your compassion is a weakness your enemies will not share."

But I'm fine. I mean, terrified, and exhausted, and depressed, but fine. ... You know, it occurred to me sometime ago that I legitimately felt afraid of her sometimes, a lot of times. I'd have panic attacks sometimes, I think. It also occurred to me that...why am I afraid of the person who's supposed to comfort me when I'm afraid? Isn't something wrong with that? Why am I letting someone abuse me?

I think I'll have to talk to her about all of this. I'm still so scared. I know it seems really stupid, but I have lived with so much fear in my life. Afraid of my parents, afraid of elders, afraid of girls, afraid of God. Afraid of my true self, even. Suppressed it every time, that true self. As I once wrote about it in a story, it said to me, "Deny the truth again, my friend. But just like me, it comes back, more real than ever."

It's just...this is going to be so messy if we part ways. But once it's over, my life would be a whole heck of a lot easier. ... With what she's said, really....is it reasonable to keep working on a patient who has been declared dead? Would be time better spent on an autopsy or on a salvageable circumstance. What she said, not wanting to be under my headship anymore, is as direct a verbal divorce as can come from a JW wife. You can't smooth that over, and it wasn't said without careful thought about the reasons.

Knowing that, it probably makes sense not to have sex with her anymore--which doesn't seem to be a meaningful alteration of our current situation, but...at least I said it. And...to begin making the preparations for what has been considered unthinkable for so long. But as always, the olive branch must be extended before anything else is considered.

-sd-7

• sacolton
  • BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    I'm still so scared. I know it seems really stupid, but I have lived with so much fear in my life. Afraid of my parents, afraid of elders, afraid of girls, afraid of God. Afraid of my true self, even.

Dear One, it is NOT STUPID. It is what you have been taught. It is all you have known.

You very recently extricated yourself from a cult that exists solely out of fear... holds their power through fear, and teaches nothing but fear! You just need to give yourself time to learn new reactions, that's all.

Love, strength, and wisdom to you,
    Baba.

• snowbird
    snowbird

BABA!

YES!

Syl

• BabaYaga
  • elderelite
    elderelite

"What she said, not wanting to be under my headship anymore, is as direct a verbal divorce as can come from a JW wife. You can't smooth that over, and it wasn't said without careful thought about the reasons. "

I respectfully disagree. We all say things in the heat of the moment that we dont mean or too try to hurt someone that we feel is hurting us. Solomon wisely said not to give our hearts to every word that men speak. She may well have meant it, but probly not. Dont let that one angered decleration be the pivot on which you turn this matter. Seek the advise of someone you trust who can speak to you in person. Doing something of this magnitute in a chat room is a bad idea.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Skully is right, and so is Baba Yaga.

I think I'll have to talk to her about all of this. I'm still so scared. I know it seems really stupid, but I have lived with so much fear in my life. Afraid of my parents, afraid of elders, afraid of girls, afraid of God. Afraid of my true self, even. Suppressed it every time, that true self. As I once wrote about it in a story, it said to me, "Deny the truth again, my friend. But just like me, it comes back, more real than ever."

It's not stupid at all, at least not to us. Anyone who has been a jw knows what it's like to be conditioned with fear. And remember that courage isn't the absence if fear. Courage just doesn't allow fear to be crippling.

Try to have a good weekend, dear heart. You have my digits, so call if you need to...anytime. I'll make you that CD this weekend.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Seek the advise of someone you trust who can speak to you in person. Doing something of this magnitute in a chat room is a bad idea.

Pot meet kettle. *snicker*

• Quandry
    Quandry

It's just...this is going to be so messy if we part ways. But once it's over, my life would be a whole heck of a lot easier. ... With what she's said, really....is it reasonable to keep working on a patient who has been declared dead

It sounds like you still are not your own person. You have tried so hard to be what everyone else wants you to be. My advice is to:

1. Go back to school if you don't have a college degree. Learn critical thinking, and feel better about yourself by gaining knowledge.

2. Get a hobby or start volunteering at a worthy organization. Feel better about yourself. Meet new people. Someone may be out there who will love you for you.

3. It's called beating a dead horse. Alot of time is wasted, and it's not effective. You also don't need to explain things to the dead horse--it isn't interested.

4. Know that it all will hurt. But once you create some goals for yourself--what you'd like to accomplish, you will no longer just live in fear but will be your own person and know what direction to go!

• elderelite
    elderelite

aww missjackson, no more PM's? you have now turned back to public hating... as I said privately, whatever you want. The hate is funny to me. I continue to LOL at you and your husband. Once you overcome your fear, i think you'll find life much more enjoyable. You wont have to attack things that are different or that intimidate you. Peace within is the most cherished possession we can attain. Keep searching and I'm confident you and yours will be at peace one day. I wish you all the best missjackson on your quest for peace and inner fulfillment

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit