Ted Jaracz - the Cardinal Ratzinger of Jehovah's Witnesses

by Dogpatch 81 Replies latest jw friends

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

I'm pleased to see you using this source! Since you wish to discuss pedophilia, what does the Catechism say about it? The answer is about 60 pages beyond the passage you quoted:

2389 Connected to incest is any sexual abuse perpetrated by adults on children or adolescents entrusted to their care. The offense is compounded by the scandalous harm done to the physical and moral integrity of the young, who will remain scarred by it all their lives; and the violation of responsibility for their upbringing

Hardly the sort of language that treats children as "sex toys"!

Does Pope Benedict agree with this? Check the imprimatur on your Catechism:

Imprimi Potest

+Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger

Interdicasterial Commission for the Catechism of the Catholic Church

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

http://www.jw-media.org/aboutjw/article23.htm

However, even if the elders cannot take congregational action, they are expected to report the allegation to the branch office of Jehovah's Witnesses in their country, if local privacy laws permit. In addition to making a report to the branch office, the elders may be required by law to report even uncorroborated or unsubstantiated allegations to the authorities. If so, the elders receive proper legal direction to ensure that they comply with the law. Additionally, the victim or anyone else who has knowledge of the allegation may wish to report the matter to the authorities, and it is his or her absolute right to do so.

Note that the Watchtower's policy, on their official media website, leaves a loophole to not report allegations in states where the law does not require them to do so. It is this loophole that justifies not reporting unrepentant paedophiles who deny their abuses and lie about their victims.

Do you, Alice, support this loophole in your church's child abuse policy?

Cheers

Chris

• StAnn
    StAnn

Alice, this is the official policy on sexual abuse on the USCCB (US Conference of Catholic Bishops):

"What has the Catholic Church done to effectively respond to sexual abuse by church personnel?

The Catholic Church has done more to protect children than almost any other organization in the United States. Consider:

Safe Environment training is taking place in 193 dioceses/eparchies of the country. Over 2 million adults have been trained to recognize the behavior of offenders and what to do about it. Over 5 million children have been equipped with the skills to help them protect themselves from abuse.

Background checks are conducted on Church personnel who have contact with children. Over 2 million volunteers and employees; 52,000 clerics; 6,205 candidates for ordination have had their backgrounds evaluated. All dioceses/eparchies have Codes of Conduct spelling out what is acceptable behavior. This serves to let people know what can and cannot be done as well as letting others know what behavior can be expected. It encourages the reporting of suspicious behavior. All dioceses/eparchies have Victim Assistance Coordinators, assuring victims that they will be heard. In 2009, $6,536,109 was spent on therapy for the victims of clergy sexual abuse.

All dioceses/eparchies have Safe Environment Coordinators who assure the ongoing compliance to the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People. Bishops are meeting with victims. Dioceses/eparchies have Healing Masses, retreats for victim/survivors and other reconciliation events.

There is a Zero Tolerance policy on abusers since 2002. When even a single act of sexual abuse by a priest or deacon is admitted or is established after an appropriate process in accord with canon law, the offending priest or deacon will be removed permanently from ecclesiastical ministry, not excluding dismissal from the clerical state, if the case so warrants (CIC, c. 1395 §2; CCEO, c. 1453 §1). 4

Dioceses/eparchies require intensive background screening as well as psychological testing for those wishing to enter the seminary.

The Catholic Church has worked hard to protect children. Much has been done but more needs to be done. Until child sexual abuse is no longer a part of society, the Church will continue its efforts to stop it."

http://www.usccb.org/catholic-church-sxl-ab.pdf

Just FYI.

StAnn

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

ALICE, although i do not interact with you much, i do wonder things...

1. male/female?

2. why are you not attending meetings?

3 why are you on here?

4. Why do you defend the WT Soc but disobey it?

5. why are you so quick to compare JW to catholics? It makes it look like an effort to make JW look better by showing that the catholic church is worse.

6. If the elders can base judicial commitee decisions on the word of only two people why can you not accept that a thousand may well be right in regards to things like child abuse 'accuasations'?

7. Are you aware that 'stories' can be true even if not published in the watchtower?

oz

• Titus
    Titus

Alice, yes, please, answer these questions. Please.

• Mary
    Mary
    AIW said: I've come across plenty of Catholic apologists even when the evidence is overwhelming with very few voices of descent in the church against the pope or his inner circle. They can come up with up with a million and one lame excuses for pedophile priests. It would be nice to see some qualifying evidence that there's even a problem that's remotely similar before I try and invade different aspects of the organization.

Only one scripture comes to mind after reading this sort of nonsense:

Luke 6:41-42 "Why, then, do you look at the straw that is in your brother's eye, but do not observe the rafter that is in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, allow me to extract the straw that is in your eye,' while you yourself are not looking at the rafter in that eye of yours? Hypocrite! First extract the rafter from your own eye, and then you will see clearly how to extract the straw that is in your brother's eye."

Alice, you've been shown plenty of evidence. Avashai gave you his first hand account and even named names, yet as per usual you just ignored it. Even the WTS's official site admitted in November of 2007 that they had settled a lawsuit with "the victims" because they knew the evidence was such, that it would not go well for them at all if they tried fighting it anymore. Yet you still continue to spew your mindless drivel on here, ignoring anything that goes against your preconceived ideas that they never really covered anything up.

Keep going Alice. You're an excellent example for any lurkers on here as to what the mindset of JW is. Even though you're hypocritically 'inactive'.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

our voices here mean nothing............ why?

Alice says "we have hatred"

I still go to meetings, I am not disfellowshipped.

i'm looking for a better future for my children.

that's why when I see such problems in the WT, I keep on screaming inside!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I've seen much more hatred within JWs (40+ years experience there) than I've seen here on JWN, or at any of my jobs, or at school, or any other place in "Satan's world" that I've been privileged to experience.

JWs are told they are happy so they believe it. They are told that hatred of non-JW is ok because anything and everything non-JW is a part of Satan's world and it's ok to hate Satan. So they're literally full of hatred but living in denial because they are told that everything they do is out of love. They believe what they're told to believe. It's sad.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    'He is doing a lot of talking but making no changes. Things are just the same in the church."

At least here in the US, there have been many changes in the admittance process for new priests since the scandal broke a few years ago. They scrutinize candidates far more carefully now. My brother was accepted to seminary a couple of years ago and, among other things, had to undergo a battery of psych testing in order to be be admitted. These are, in part, to screen out pedophiles. This wasn't done before.

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/world/europe/25vatican.html

Top Vatican officials - including the future Pope Benedict XVI - did not defrock a priest who molested as many as 200 deaf boys, even though several American bishops repeatedly warned them that failure to act on the matter could embarrass the church, according to church files newly unearthed as part of a lawsuit.

But Cardinal Bertone halted the process after Father Murphy personally wrote to Cardinal Ratzinger protesting that he should not be put on trial because he had already repented and was in poor health and that the case was beyond the church's own statute of limitations.

"I simply want to live out the time that I have left in the dignity of my priesthood," Father Murphy wrote near the end of his life to Cardinal Ratzinger. "I ask your kind assistance in this matter." The files contain no response from Cardinal Ratzinger.

This priest was not defrocked because he was at death's door. Even in our own secular justice system, we sometimes do not carry out a sentence on a guilty party because of poor health. The priest in question died a few weeks later. It doesn't seem like defrocking would have accomplished much in the case of this dying man. We may or may not agree with the decision, but this bit of context is often left out in the case of Murphy.

Prepubescent boys

Very few of the abused were prepubescent. Almost all of these bad priests were pederasts, not pedophiles. Yes, it is still bad, but there has been a lot of inaccurate reporting on the scandal.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit