Has Anyone Gone Back to College Post 40?

by daringhart13 54 Replies latest jw friends

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

When I was 38 I began a degree in Nursing and after two years injured my back and came down with Lupus. I had to take three years off before I was diagnosed correctly but I was still unable to return to Nursing due to chronic back problems and fatigue from Lupus.

In 2007 I returned to try and finish my degree in business. I was able to use all my academic nursing credits as electives which lightened my course load each semester by one class. I'm in my 3rd year of business right now, majoring in accounting. I'm not sure if my health will hold out and I'll be able to compete for a two year required position with an accountant before I can pass the licensing exams.

It doesn't matter though. I don't regret one course I've taken in nursing or in business. Each one I came out wiser and more informed about the world and how it works. I wouldn't trade my education for anything. Smartest thing I ever did with my life, regardless of how much it pays off financially in the end. Whether I become certified or not, I will still have a better job with my degree than I would get without it.

I will probably be 48 when I graduate, if all goes well. I am also not the oldest person there. Never to late to learn something new in life.

• Scott77
    Scott77

I will probably be 48 when I graduate, if all goes well. I am also not the oldest person there. Never to late to learn something new in life.

cognizant dissident

Please, remember, learning is a lifelong or life time process until death. Keep up

Scott77

• cantleave
    cantleave

Nugget is studying for a degree in Psychology, she is 45.

• JRK
    JRK

I went to college at age 45 for the first time, after leaving the JW's. I had my AS in Business and BS in Marketing at age 49, while working full time. It was a two-dimensional life for four years, but worth it. I graduated with a GPA of 4.0.

JK

• designs
    designs

Yes, UCR, it was a blast, being one of the oldest guys on campus they all thought I was one of the professors

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I'm in my 50s and back at Uni in the 2nd year now and loving it.

Loz x

• recovering
    recovering

I finished my Phd When I was 42

• clarity
    clarity

Cognizant D,

"I'm not sure if my health will hold out and I'll be able to compete for a two year required position with an accountant before I can pass the licensing exams."

>

Cog, just concentrate on today. Finish the work today. There is no 'tomorrow'!

Don't try to get too far ahead of yourself, .. it will just cause panic.

Congratulate yourself for what you have already accomplished, it's a lot!

So many of us have gone back to 'school' ... it makes us winners not losers!

I jumped in at 40, and went on to have 3 careers after that, including teaching and Public Service.

Best wishes to every last one of you!

clarity

• tiki
    tiki

Yup....working on my bachelor's and as soon as that is complete moving onto the master's....and started the process long after turning age 40. GO for IT!!!! I always resented not being allowed an education, and getting it even at a late date brings me so much happiness and satisfaction. Plus it is good for the brain! it is a muscle and needs exercise to stay healthy and alive! I think of my education as having the additional benefit of staving off dementia.....

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Clarity: Thank you for the encouraging words. I have been psyching myself out lately and having anxiety attacks watching all these young healthy creatures in my class. I do cope with it by staying in the moment and reminding myself that no matter what the future brings I will not regret any of the education I've received so far, it is all useful info.

I'm also heartened to see there are so many post 40 grads here on JWN. I'm in fine company indeed! I always thought this place was full of the smartest people I've ever encountered. Not to mention some of the bravest for leaving the org.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit