Has Anyone Gone Back to College Post 40?

by daringhart13 54 Replies latest jw friends

• nugget
    nugget

I started an OU degree in psychology. My son has Aspergers and originally my studies were an effort to understand him better. Now they seem like a possibility for a new direction in life with the possibility of moving into teaching. I'm 45 but looking forward to all that this new life offers. even without the meetings it is hard to find time to do all I want to.

OU is brilliant the courses are stretching but geared up for home study. It is challenging but fun and the sense of achievement is so uplifting. Nearly finished level 2 courses with only level 3s to complete. Don't waste any more time.

• boyzone
    boyzone

wow, thanks for that info nugget. I've been interested in psychology for a while and was wondering how to further my interest. I'm 46 and felt too old for college. I'll get some info from the OU website and see what they offer.

• sherry123
    sherry123

I have ,altho i cant continue because of finances....i enjoy it tho.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I'll chime in too. I also went back to college after forty. It's the best thing I could have done. If you don't want to go to a physical school, there are so many online university and colleges with a variety of programs to choose from.
    Good luck.

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

I try not to give away too many details about myself, but I hold an academic position at a college with a sizable non-traditional (24+) student body. All of my non-traditional students are hard workers, responsible students, and socially accepted. They're an absolute pleasure to work with, and aside from some of the usual first semester complaints -- especially that writing can be hard for them -- they all seem to have an outstanding experience. Also, many community colleges offer special programs for non-traditional students to help them ease into academic life and better integrate themselves into the student body. There are so many support services now that being a non-traditional student is nowhere near as scary or uncommon as it used to be.

Bottom line is, you'll never know until you try. Sign up for a community college course and see what you think. If you want any detailed information about going back, let me know. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit