Has Anyone Gone Back to College Post 40?

by daringhart13 54 Replies latest jw friends

• yknot
    yknot

I agree the more languages you are fluent the more marketable you are and the more opportunities you can seek should you wanna travel outside the States.

Being multi-lingual is a lost art in the last few generations..... My great-G-pa could speak 7 off the cuff and two more half-heartedly.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

I went back in 2004 at age 37... one of my first classes, and I was an elder when I started college, was a philosophy class in ethics....yeah....that opened my mind wide about the cult I was part of.... opened my mind really really wide....

In the end I earned 2 associates degrees (one in applied science [aka career degree] and one associate in science [transfer degree in business]) and graduated officially last week with honors (a 3.61 GPA) with 130 credit hours. (I should have had a Masters by now....eye roll).

Those degrees and $3 gets me a cup of coffee at Starbucks...but only if I get a regular venti....LOL

Good for you for going back.... my fiancee is going to finish the degree she started...then maybe I can go on to a BS (insert joke here) degree.

Snakes (Rich )

• White Dove
    White Dove

I started college at 30 and just graduated with a MS at 41.

• yknot
    yknot

See Daringhart.......

You know you wanna join and participate with us 'kewl kidz'...........'everybody is doing it'.

That way if you start sipping koolaid again you can blame it on the evil influence of us 'posting postates!'...

What is the worse that can happen? .....................................You graduate?

(okay.......it is alright if you get hosed one night and dress in a sheet made toga, pose for pictures too..... but for good measure of not getting DFd you might wanna entitle it ''Chuck-ing!')

• truman
    truman

I began college at 49. I graduated with my bachelor's degree last spring, and finished my first year of graduate school yesterday. Come on in; the water's fine!

• White Dove
    White Dove

You will also get better grades now that you are older than you would if you were younger.

You are more mature and able to focus on what life demands of you, which is college and working.

As a kid right out of high school, I will bet you dollars to donuts that you wouldn't have the same drive to succeed that you will have now.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Mmm, yes. Over 40. It's great because you're so much smarter than the young'uns. You put them to shame and soon you develop an entourage. It's harder because you have family responsibilities and that can make it more difficult to find time to study and do your homework. But I think it's well worth it.

StAnn

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

Thanks everyone.....you're all VERY inspiring.....this is exactly the feedback I was hoping to read

Yknot.....I will PM you

This is a great group of people.....and great job to each of you for just 'going for it'.....

I'm still working on not wanting to punch someone in the head for taking my youth :)

• St George of England
    St George of England

I went to Uni at age 34 and did 5 years full time. It was worth every penny and every bit of effort. It provided me with a decent income that I could not have acheived, financial security now I am retired.

You will never regret it, even if 'A' comes next week, so what? You will be doing something worthwhile. And as it will not come next week you will go on to graduate and get a decent job which you will enjoy in addition to the financial benefits.

George

• awildflower
    awildflower

I'm not in full blown college but started taking classes this last year the local community college at 38 (now 39) but even just the few classes I'm taking will help me get into a career with "job security". I second another poster, depending on what you want, you don't have to go college big time, but lots of classes out there, and lots of ways to take exactly what you want to get a better career. I love every minute of it. It's opened my mind even more, I'm learning a lot. You would do just fine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit