Has Anyone Gone Back to College Post 40?

by daringhart13 54 Replies latest jw friends

• behemot
    behemot

I went back at 42 and graduated magna cum laude at 44.

I found the experience demanding (with work, family and all), yet satisfactory, intellectually exciting and fun (especially when the kids mistook me for the teacher).

Behemot

• designs
    designs

Yes, past 50 actually, I entered University life, great learning, great people, and they think you are the professor

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

What are you planning to study? Be sure that it is something that you have a passion for.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Age is always a factor when you want to advance in a career. The older you are starting out, the harder it is to compete with workers the same age as you but with boatloads of experience and/or younger workers. LIfelong learning is always good but be real in your expectations and goals. Two of my family are in college now - one is 21 and one is 49. Same course in health care. The younger one has a job lined up - the older one is struggling against all the other younger grads and experienced out of work older people.

I think taking courses is a good thing because knowledge is valuable and enlightening - do it forever, just be rational and real. sammieswife.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

daringheart13,

If you can afford it, I would definitely sign up with your local community college. However, when you are over 40 you have to be practical. As one poster said, you will be competing with younger workers at entry level and also unemployed older workers with experience in any given field. But, this should not mean that you should NOT go if it is something you desire. There is something I saw in a news article in recent months: there has been criticism against some technical schools by people who signed up thinking there would be jobs and they just ended up in debt and still out of work. So, do your research first.

Education just for the sake of education is a wonderful thing if you have the time and money. It is something you will never regret.

• changeling
    changeling

I went to college as a young JW. I lived in another country where going to college was seen as more of a necessity and not as demonized as in the US. I did the first two years at home and transferred to another city in my junior year. This was a "no-no" and my "christian conscience" bit me in the ass. I had a serious depressive episode, triggered by guilt, which caused me to drop out in the middle of the first semester.

Fast forward to the spring of 09... at the age of 49 I went back to finish my BA in Liberal Arts. I am in a program designed for adult students with at least 30 credits under their belt. It is through a well respected state university and it's done completely online. It is very affordable and worth every penny. I will graduate in December at the age of 51.

It's never too late.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

I started back at 41, graduated magna cum laude at 44 and got full funding for graduate school. I'll have my M.A. in English in a year. Hard? Yup. Worth it? Already, in terms of getting my brain back. Whether I teach or not when I'm through, or go on to a Ph.D. program, doesn't matter. I feel like I've reclaimed at least a decade of my life. My ability to analyze and critically examine issues, JW or otherwise, has increased exponentially. And I'm setting the example for my daughter...

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

I love all these posts from over-40 students! What a great thread!!!

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I love all these posts from over-40 students! What a great thread!!!

You can say that again!

I'm jealous.

Syl

• not a captive
    not a captive

My son will love this thread! You all are inspiring (to me too)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit