Has Anyone Gone Back to College Post 40?

by daringhart13 54 Replies latest jw friends

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

I'm admitting to be very pissed off.....and bitter. I'm sick of having no job security (I know its relative), but mostly because I did NOT go to college......

Has anyone gone back to school post 40? How was the experience? Was it worth it financially?

• penny2
    penny2

I went back to college at 31 and I thought that was old. It has given me job security since. I found it very difficult getting my brain into gear - like I'd been asleep since leaving school. It was well worth it though.

• loosie
    loosie

I started at age 39. I wasn't the oldest person in math class. It is well worth it!!!!!!

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

You could just show up in an empty class one day and begin teaching. Just bump a TA. None of them speak english anyway. They'll be relieved.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

Great stuff folks. Thank you...... I really would like to create SOME sort of security by having that college education.

Getting married at 20, never going to college, but being that superstar elder.....well thats where its at...

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

There's a lady in my program that has a kid my age (early thirties).

• yknot
    yknot

Daringhart darling.....

Going back to college 30s-50s........is the 'IN' thing to do these days among JWs (Ex, active and inactive!)

Actually with the economic meltdown it is popular with 'worldlies' too!

So the question now is what do you want to study?

Improve your current career or change directions entirely ?????

Maybe say 'screw it' and follow a 'passion' instead of taking the 'safe' route!!!

I am 36 and have been in and out of college courses since 17.......(and will continue until I am dead in paradise (cuz delusional denial can be a godsend until the rational mind can accept reality)

I will share these tidbits:

Strongly consider online basic courses from your local community college, jr. college or state universities.

Think about what subjects you feel you can 'read the book' and test out of via CLEP

I have managed to get more than half of my congo enrolled so I can attest it is quite simple....

One of the benefits of being a 'mature' student is that you don't (pardon my french) 'dick around' like that young, dumb and full of c** boy sitting next to you in Biology who is quite preoccupied with that girl he met at the bar last night........

Additionally upon graduation many in your chosen field will just assume you have been in the field since your 20s.......

If you wanna PM me you can....

• shamus100
    shamus100

I suggest a good course in Symbian behavior.

Kiss me!

• blondie
    blondie

I started at 35....my company paid for 1/2 of it based on my union contract. I was able to qualify for returning older student scholarships through the university.

I really just like taking classes. I have taken classes in sign language which has helped in my job, plus Spanish.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Blondie,

Beso el mono!!!! Besame!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit