Has Anyone Gone Back to College Post 40?

by daringhart13 54 Replies latest jw friends

• changeling
    changeling

By the way I graduate with my 21 year old son (traditoinal, on-campus student) who will be getting a BA in English ... :)

• cult classic
    cult classic

Just wanted to chime in. Me and hubby have continued education as well for our jobs. There are TONS of over 40s in class. Just think even if you'd gone to college in your 20s by now you may want to change careers. It's no big deal. Getting a degree is definitely no guarantee of job security, but it will keep your mind sharp and keep you moving forward in life.

If you need the education for better job ops, just make sure you research the field you want to get into first (as mentioned). And go the least expensive route possible. Look into grants and low cost loans if you need to.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Nugget has started a degree in child psychology - she is 45 this year.

• SlipnSlide
    SlipnSlide

After being told and made to feel guilty, I did not take advantage of college. I resented it for years because we were constantly told that we were to put Jehovah first. Although I was able to get great jobs (because of being persistant and the willingness to learn), I felt left behind. I finally went back to school and with a degree in Business Administration. What I notice in the congregation that I attend, there are more people my age going to school. I was told to concentrate on the ministry and to wait on Jehovah while the elder/elderette cliques helped their own friends getting jobs.

• metatron
    metatron

The Good:

You will learn that you still can grow and still have the self discipline to do homework. You will laugh and have fun with students half your age.

The Bad:

You will NOT find a better job - except for nursing - and you will be stunned with how unmotivated and lazy the millenial generation is. They expect "A"'s and refuse to read textbooks and collectively pass their classes because their breathtaking lack of effort threatens the further employment of the instructor. You will dramatically understand why Social Security and other entitlements have a bleak future because it will be based on these pot smoking, video game obsessed layabouts as taxpayers.

Ooops! did I just say that? It must be the Vodka talking. Sorry. Everything will be fine, don't worry.

metatron

• restrangled
    restrangled

Yes. My husband finished his BA and is just about done with his Masters! He is 52.

• Damocles
    Damocles

I did my undergraduate work in my 30s and graduate in my 40s. Finished with my doctorate in physical chemistry in my early 50s.

I was lucky in that I knew exactly what I wanted and it fit in perfectly with my career. Also, it was paid for mostly by companies I worked for.

On the other hand, it was a strain on me and the family and I eventually divorced and left the witnesses. So it wasn't all a bed of roses. Some have blamed my leaving the witnesses and the divorce on the education although I don't see it that way.

Financially, its been wonderful. But more than that, the education trained my mind to thinking - that is to critical thinking. In and of itself, that would be worth it to me.

I thrived on the part-time school. Not everyone does. That's a critical piece of information about yourself you need to learn to decide which approach to take. As someone noted, community college is a fine way to ease your way back into learning, develop some good habits and find out if you need to go full or part-time.

Good luck.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    I'm admitting to be very pissed off.....and bitter. I'm sick of having no job security (I know its relative), but mostly because I did NOT go to college.....

Not at all sure that this is the right attitude for higher education.

I started really learning around the time I quit school - age 16. I had a thirst for knowledge that had nothing to do with career or earnings. Ironically, my college experience enabled me to have a career in writing because of what I had learned - how to write and how to think and how things fit together. Having a degree was less important in my field than knowing what to do and how to do it. I fit quite well with my colleagues who had advanced degrees - up to and including Ph.Ds. But without college - it wouldn't have happened.

I got most of my college education after 40. But I would recommend that if you haven't done it by late 50's - forget it.

• Scott77
    Scott77

I started at 35....my company paid for 1/2 of it based on my union contract. I was able to qualify for returning older student scholarships through the university. I really just like taking classes. I have taken classes in sign language which has helped in my job, plus Spanish.

blondie

Great to know you studied ASL. Cool

• Scott77
    Scott77

Hi DarlingHart13,

Please, click on this site and get some helpful information about career prospects and how to pick a good suitable one for you. My idea is for you to become a school teacher by ultilizing your natural and proven teaching skill gained from many years of work with the borg. If you want to be an indepedent building contractor, that would not be bad. The sky is the limit.

http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

Good luck

Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit