GB closing down and selling Central American Branches to be serviced out of Mexican Branch

by cattails 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I have to think the WTS might be hurting more than we might think.

It might explain why they would come out with the desparate NULITE that could shoot them in the foot.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Wow. We were need-greaters and lived in Nicaragua and Costa Rica, visited Panama many times. We stayed at the Managua branch while the family was away at an International. I took Spanish lessons with a new missionary in Costa Rica with the Branch Overseer's wife. I have the silly made up diploma from the BO still. I have very fond memories of those times, what an adventure. Met some extraordinary people...some I'll never ever forget. Some old timers that I just loved...

Still happy with the demise. Couldn't happen to a better corporation. I have felt for years the missionary arrangement is a tremendous cost to the corporation and the countries, especially those countries, cannot support the expense. The cuts make sense of course. Full time servants are on the brink of extinction. I hate the way they treat their devoted...they don't give a shit about the flock, but they really are cold to fulltimers they set free.

Prophecies failed and this old world just keeps turning. They didn't see this coming...I don't think their light is very bright.

• Wasanelder Once
  • Gayle
    Gayle

So what specific Central America branches does that involve? Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama? Others? How many layoffs will that involve? It makes me wonder about all the other branches around the world, especially the very poor countries. How many around the world will start getting closed? The annual report for 2009 showed 118 branches.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Raising cash or cashing out? Will wts re-invest cash into more KHs, printing presses or will they buy land or stocks, bonds or other assets having nothing to do with jws?

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

A rough translation from Google

pseudo

Watch Tower Watchtower Society for the Dissemination of the Bible Apartado Postal 3587, Managua, Nicaragua Tel: (505) 2279-8001 Fax: (505) 227-8002 May 1, 2010 In Nicaragua congregations Dear brothers: The opening words of Chapter 54 of Isaiah urge the heavenly part of Jehovah's organization, compared to a wife, to prepare for increases that would cause joy. The fulfillment of this exciting prophecy is evidenced by the exceptional increase of true worship which is presently observed in our country and the world as it accelerates the collection Jehovah (Isa. 54:1-4, 60:22). Can Jehovah's organized people to keep up with current growth that he has made it possible? Absolutely! A key factor in properly meet the needs that arise due to the rapid growth is the simplification of procedures. The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses, who represents the "faithful and discreet slave" has been well aware of this important fact (Matt. 24:45-47). In recent years we have witnessed how they have implemented several measures for simplification, such as stop serving food at meetings, to centralize the printing of magazines and other publications in certain branches located throughout the region and facilitate communication between branches and congregations. In addition, efforts have been made to design and build more quickly Kingdom Halls and Assembly Halls badly needed. Without doubt, now we all have benefited greatly from all of these settings. Over the past year, the Governing Body was considering the possibility of simplifying the administrative tasks performed in smaller branches around the world. After reviewing the issue with the committees of the six branches of Central, the Governing Body has determined to centralize the supervision of the work of the Kingdom which is conducted in these countries. This will take place in the coming months and will be the branch of Mexico to oversee the work in these areas. Not yet set a date for this setting in force, but rest assured that things will be done in an orderly manner. By official correspondence, Mexico branch be reported to the bodies of elders and congregations, as more information becomes available. The governing body's theocratic leadership led to great spiritual blessings for the people of the Lord in the first century. Acts 16:4, 5 says, "As we were traveling through the cities handed over to there, to observe that the decrees had taken a decision which the apostles and elders in Jerusalem. Therefore, in Indeed, the congregations continued to be made strong in faith and grow in number day by day. " The Branch Committee of our country gives its full support to this wise decision of the Governing Body, and we are confident that you will too. Without doubt, the Lord will bless us for being willing to follow the theocratic give us "who are leading the way" (Heb. 13:17) A non-profit Society

• vivalavida
    vivalavida

Well, the 6 branches of Central America would be: Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala. I don't know if they count Belize. They did have a branch there. I lived in Honduras for over 20 years and help build the branch in the 80s.

Let's see!

Vivalavida

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Dissed is right. They're growing so much that they need to shut down branch facilities? Give me a break! It's called trimming the fat!

• dozy
    dozy

This seems to be a growing trend – following the closure of Italy , Alaska , Spain etc. As well as the obvious need to cut costs and centralise operations in larger locations , I wonder if the WTBTS are also reducing their footprint in various lands for legal reasons – it would be very difficult for a victim of child abuse in (say) Guatemala to sue the society in Mexico or the USA. This was a technique the WTBTS used to try to avoid payouts in California by saying that the WTBTS had no legal presence or operations there. They also limit the possibility of a branch going “apostate” , particularly a concern in Hispanic lands.

Note the tone of the letter – throughout it is glorifying & stressing loyalty to the GB. They even stress that “t he Branch Committee of our country gives its full support to this wise decision of the Governing Body” – a pre-emptive statement designed to quell any disquiet.

The WTBTS way of making money:

Step 1: Ask for donations , build using free labour & tax breaks. Operate for a few years. Sell at great profit.

Step 2: Go to step one.

• wobble
    wobble

Mexico is not the most stable of places economically and politically, and law and order are a problem too.

Could be another duff move my the dumb GB and their accountant/legal advisers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit