GB closing down and selling Central American Branches to be serviced out of Mexican Branch

by cattails 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Thanks for the complete translation, Besty!

• Gayle
    Gayle

Mexico is not the most stable of places economically and politically, and law and order are a problem too.

It seems the WTBTS operates in their untruthful ways somewhat successfully in such places. Just having their members pay "bribes" worked for JWs there regarding their military draft system.

• besty
    besty
    Thanks for the complete translation, Besty!

That credit is due elsewhere - I'm just the man in the middle....

• moshe
    moshe

I doubt that the GB has any real say in the consolidation of branches. The bean counters made this decision in order to save money and the GB just rubber stamped their name to it.

• besty
    besty

My guess is that one of the GB Committees flags a financial problem to the rest of the GB. That Comittee is then instructed to come back with some proposals, one of which is accepted by the GB and implemented.

0.02 and all IMHO.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

The Zone Overseers are in charge of recommending (making) these decisions... they're the ones who go around to different branches to audit effeciency. Same thing happened around 2000 when the Zone Overseers visited Wallkill, Patterson, and Brooklyn and made the recommdendation to consolodate all these previously independently operated facilities and combine them into the "US Branch."

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Ah ha. I heard something similar on the grapevine. The news was broken by Lösch (Zone Overseer) who was touring CA. The Branch Overseers are being sent to Mexico and the others (as indicated in the letter) are being scattered to the congregations. Yes, the branches are closing. It's supposed to be happening this coming August. Dubbies are seeing this as the last big push before Armageddon (!). Now I know why, judging by the positive spin given in the letter.

• dgp
    dgp

Most Central American countries have left-wing governments. That means Americans, or citizens of other countries working for what essentially looks like an American organizaton, are not really welcome. Most Central American countries are violent and unstable, and actually worse than Mexico. I read somewhere that you're more likely to die of gunshot in El Salvador than in Irak. These are very small countries, too. I wonder if all this was taken into consideration.

Obviously they were also losing money.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Iraq, but I know what you meant.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

So the old money machine isn't quite a lucrative as it once was? *cackles*

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit