From Pioneer to Professor: My Story

by laverite 85 Replies latest jw friends

• laverite
    laverite

LostGen - I know the path I took was the right one for me. But it's never too late for those who had a delay in their escape.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

I so enjoyed reading your life story. You have a beautiful family and career. I feel that JWs miss out on so many onderful people because of their prejudice agaist gays. Your children are lucky to have a father like you.

• laverite
    laverite

Wow, GMA, thank you for your very kind words. I am so lucky to have my sweet, wonderful children. They are so amazing.

Many of the younger JWs seem to be a little more "liberal" minded on gay issues compared to the older Brothers and Sisters. I know some of my cousins are. And, it's funny, because I've even referred to them as "liberal" JWs and they get all defensive: "What do you mean liberal??? I'm not liberal!!!" But they really are compared to older folks.

On the JWs missing out -- they sure have a lot of strange ideas about gays. I was visiting my grandmother in the hospital (she had a rough patch that she went through a couple of years back) and some JWs were there with her. After I left the room for a bit, I could hear as I stood in the hallway for a second their conversation with her and my aunt. "But he looks so clean cut!" Truth is, I could blend in with any JW group just fine. That day, I was in slacks, a nice button up shirt, nice shoes and my 1950s style men's glasses. Short hair, too. All I would have needed would have been a tie and I would have looked like I stepped right out of any Watchtower magazine. That blew them away. They just couldn't believe I could be who I am and an ex-JW and appear presentable. I don't know what they were expecting...and they probably didn't have any clear idea either. Perhaps if I had long hair and beard, tats and needle track marks up and down his arms stinking of alcohol and body odor slurring his words that would have made sense to them. But not a clean cut well spoken individual.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

Laverite, I really enjoyed your story. It is so nice to see someone reach their goals and have a successful life with a beautiful family.

• Quendi
    Quendi

Thanks for sharing your story, laverite. It is truly an encouraging one. We have many points in common as I’m sure you have with other posters on this forum. The rabid homophobia of the organization is a subject which many of us have commented upon. But what I found also quite galling about your experience is the equally ferocious anti-learning, anti-intellectual stance the WTS has consistently taken over the years. This has been compounded by the myth it has perpetuated that its publications are the equal of a college education and by reading them a person can be just as well-schooled as any college or university graduate.

You may be familiar with my own story so there is no need to rehash it here. Suffice it to say that I am glad that I corrected a mistake I made many years ago when I dropped out of college, convinced that “the end” was right around the corner. Returning to school and earning my diploma was one of the proudest achievements in my life, coming as it did when I had reached my mid-forties. I want to wish you continued joy and success.

Quendi

• laverite
    laverite

Quendi, it is truly a pleasure to have you respond. I enjoy reading your posts. I can think of a few I remember off the top of my head, including your move away from Colorado (30 years there, right?) to Alabama and some posts and comments on gay marriage. Oh! And you wrote a book (science fiction, right?).

The reason I remember the Colorado to Alabama post so well is that I love Colorado (so beautiful!), and experienced a move from someplace I loved dearly after many years to where I am now. I grieved for about 10 years after for that special place I left. I also know you are always so supportive of LGBT issues. And I think you do or did work as a teacher, right?

But I can't remember how you exited the TruthTM or your educational path. I'd love to know these things. You are always such a joy to read. I love your writing. Thank you for your kind words and support.

P.S. Don't even get me started on the topic of reading the mags being equivalent to a college education. It is as far removed from that as anything I can think of. I know you will agree. In college, it's not so much about "facts" but about developing critical thinking skills and learning how to learn. Reading some trashy mags written at the 3rd grade level just ain't gonna cut it!

• laverite
    laverite

Aunt fancy - Thank you so much! Believe me, I never take for granted that I was able to escape.

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

When I look back at how I used to be prejudiced and hateful towards homosexuals I feel embarrassed and ashamed.

I enjoyed your story.

• krejames
    krejames

Welcome Laverite. thanks for posting your inspiring story, which i enjoyed reading.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Wow, this thread passed me by. What an amazing and inspiring story! Thank you for sharing it. I wish you every continued success and happiness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit