From Pioneer to Professor: My Story

by laverite 85 Replies latest jw friends

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

I want to also welcome you here, glad you joined! So you mentioned that you have 3 children, do you also have a partner to raise them with, or are you doing that alone? Do they ask about grandparents, cousins etc? That's the stage my kids are in, having had them, and now they are gone. It's a tough adjustment.

Good for you living your authentic life. I could kick myself too.

• penny2
    penny2

laverite, how wonderful to have you here!

No one, including family, has ever said anything to me about the DA letter. Does anyone know if this is normal to not hear anything?

It's hard to believe that a DA letter wouldn't be passed on to the local congregation. I've heard more instances of a DA'd or even DS'd JW not being told of their status.

penny

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Welcome to JWN! Thanks for sharing your story. Your background could serve to help many exjws who are still suffering.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Welcome to the forum. Your story is really inspiring. Thanks for sharing it for us. I'm sorry for the pain of losing your entire family. But I'm glad you are free of the WT control.

Best of luck to you. I look forward to seeing you around the forum here.

-mentallyfree31-

• Scott77
    Scott77

Laverite,

Thanks alot for sharing. I see the connection. The more worldly knowledge one gets, the more he or she is able to find the truth about the 'truth'. About DA letter. In my case, I first sent a DA letter to a congregation. No response. I followed up with another one this time to the Watchtower in New York after a year. I did not get any response for three months. Finally, I make phone call Brokly Bethel HQ. to ask about letter of DA. I spoke to the Service Department guys. They advised me send another one as the other one might have been either lost or misrouted to a different department. I sent a third letter this time with a photocopy of the first letter sent earlier to the local congregation. Within a month, I got a confirmation letter that 'Iam nolonger one of Jehovah's Witnesses.' The second two letters were certified with a delivery conformation. That is how it worked for me. I tell everyone that its very very very important to be formal. State it clear in writtig that you do not wish to be identified as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. That you ask a confirmation letter as form of closure. It does not hurt. Thank you Laverite for being firm and decisive much earlier.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

A success story Great. They are a bit few and far between at times.

Welcome to the forum.

Chris

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Welcome, and congratulations on your bravery. I was born a year before you, so I was at the same age when the anti-education message was around. I would have loved to have gone to university, but if I had, my situation would have been similar to yours – homeless and ostracised by my family.

I am so happy for you that you were able to achieve your dreams – well done!!

• undercover
    undercover

Welcome, laverite...

Your experience is an uplifting one. Even though you went through some tough times, it shows that one can leave the oppression of this religion behind and create a real and meaningful life .

In the outside world, I still sometimes feel like an alien, an outsider looking in. I feel like a visitor in another culture.

I like how you worded that. I think most of us can relate to that feeling at one time or another. Sometimes I feel the same way... a square peg wandering around a board full of round holes...

• JediMaster
    JediMaster

WOW!!! What a story. My heart goes out to you LaVerite. I am actually able to relate to a lot of things you said, it almost made me cry, (being the crybaby taht I am I probably would've had I not been at work ). I am so happy for you. Happy that you found happiness and you make your 3 children happy. Welcome to the board.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Welcome, La Verite.

What a powerful and uplifting story!

You remind me so of my little JW daughter; she's graduating in the Fall with a degree in Business - brilliant young lady.

As you did, I hope she will soon tire of the JW lifestyle.

Thanks for such an inspiring start to my day.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit