From Pioneer to Professor: My Story

by laverite 85 Replies latest jw friends

• dissed
    dissed

Welcome to the board!

And what a positive role model you have become to many. Thanks for sharing!

Dissed - Formerly of the WTS ignorant class......

• snowbird
    snowbird

Keepin' it to the fore.

Syl

• doublelife
    doublelife

Thanks for sharing your story. I admire anyone who goes to college. I've always wanted to go but I never took my education seriously when I was growing up. You know, because armageddon was going to be here before I turned 18. Anyways, I feel so inadequate for college. If I went I feel like I'd be behind everyone else. I'm glad things worked out well for you and now you can be your authentic self.

• peaches
    peaches

hi,,,,,it is nice to meet you...welcome and enjoy.....

• Diva
    Diva

Your story brought a lump to my throat - it's so sad that you have been abandoned by your JW family because you no longer want to be a part of it anymore. It's so sad.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Diva x

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

Hello laverite

I just found this thread now and wanted to add my welcome. Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on your achievements.

I like so many on this board missed out on further education as a young person - I left school in 1974 without even doing senior as the end was coming so soon, possibly even within the next year! By the time I woke up to the fact that 'the truth' is actually 'the lie' I was 46 years old.

The thing I am so grateful for is that my husband and I woke up while my son was still in school and that he will be able to go to university with our blessing and support.

All the best

Hopscotch

• Open mind
    Open mind

Sounds like you had a "Burn the Ships" motivation that served you well in getting your education and career very well in place. Too bad this religion made the family price so high.

My oldest brother is gay and I think the JW shunning helped him stay focused and get his college degree in fairly short order. Twisted but true.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.

om

• laverite
    laverite

Thank you to everyone who has responded. I've been enjoying the site a lot more now that I registered and can post. In any case, I will have to go through all the posts and replies in this particular thread, as there are probably a couple of things to follow up on. I'm touched by everyone's kindness on here.

• not a captive
    not a captive

Howdy! Glad to meet cha!

Great that you answered the call of the wild--the University!

The variety of people in this community is great!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Welcome, La Verite', to the board!

Like Hopscotch, I only now found your delightful story. Many of us (older than you by some 20 years) left college to accomplish the "lifesaving" pre-GT work. You're familiar, I'm sure, with older publications that convinced ardent JWs that any embarking upon a college education would neither complete it nor, likewise, enter into the career of their choice. I became a baptized Witness at the conclusion of my freshman year of college.

I never went back ... Pioneer. Bethelite. Elder....

That was then, this is now, forty years later. I must content myself with being an autodidact as returning to college does not appear a viable option. That's all right, however, as being on JWN is the equivalent of a college education. Or is that Awake! ... ?

Whatever.

Congratulations on being who you are and inspiring us. We truly can identify with so much of what you have bravely revealed.

Bless you and your dear little family.

CoCo [Compound Complex]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit