Menfolk....what should I cook?

by yknot 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

Most men LOVE anything done on the bbq, soooo, if you want to spoil him, I would suggest either a bacon wrapped filet mignon or a cross rib-eye steak. Do a dry rub first though and let it sit for a few hours (if possible) in the fridge. Duchess potatoes are a nice change from just mashed potatoes and taste absolutely yummy.

For a salad, here's one that I do and I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't like it. Normally I hate blue cheese, but it's excellent in this salad:

1 head of boston Lettuce washed and ripped.

1 cup of fresh stawberries, cut in half

2/3 cup of blue cheese, crumbled

1/3 cup of lite havarti cheese (not the creamy kind), diced fine

candied pecans. Don't buy the crap in the store as it doesn't taste anywhere near as good. Yes, I candy the pecans myself. Just combine 1/4 cup of water in a small pan with 1/2 cup of sugar, bring to a slow boil then turn it way down and let it thicken--usually it takes about 15 minutes. test it in a glass of cold water to see when it's ready (it has to be fairly sticky). Add the chopped pecans, and stir. Quicky put them on a buttered pan and let them cool. Chop them up and add them to the salad.

The dressing is very simple: about 1/4 cup of vegetable oil and 1/2 cup of pear nectar (not pear juice---it's too runny). Add a pinch of salt, pepper, 1/2 tsp. sugar and shake in a jar. That's it!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

A nice salad followed by crab cakes with twice-baked potatoes and asparagus.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Mary! I love a nutty fruity tangy cheese salad!! It's orgasmic

Ynot, you come on, and bring Restrangled with you!!

• John Doe
    John Doe

One of my favorites is chicken tortilla soup.

• yknot
    yknot

Bourne that looks fabulous!!!.......

I am pretty sure that will be one of the things served on Saturday night at his BFF's poker game........

____________________________________________________________________________

WD-- I know!!!...... I was really, really, really gobsmacked!

Bread---- get a breadmaker or make friends with a gal who sucks at one of you better culinary skills and trade off!

I can do bread but I treat it like science...... (gosh I love my mixer and dough hooks without them we would be stuck with tortillas!)

• yknot
    yknot

Mary ..... all I can say is YUM, YUM, YUM!!

A nice salad followed by crab cakes with twice-baked potatoes and asparagus.

OTWO: I can taste it now!

One of my favorites is chicken tortilla soup.

JD: So do I ! In fact I have all the ingredients now!....... gonna run and start a pot for tomorrow's lunches!

• zoiks
    zoiks

What Mary said

• restrangled
    restrangled

Mashed potatoes....Man style.

Boil 10 gold potatoes until soft and leave skins on.

Mean while in a Kitchen Aid bowl put in 1/4 cup butter,2/3 cup Marie's blue cheese dressing, 1/4 cup sour cream, and 1/2 cup grated parmesan, with 1 tsp fresh grated black pepper, and 1 tsp. fresh grated sea salt.

Drain Potatoes and add to above...slowly start the Kitchen Aid, the skins will attach to the blades. Blend slowly.... until semi smooth add milk as needed...very little, usually 1/3 cup at the most..skins that stay in are ok. Do not expect perfection, a little chunky is ok. Taste for salt and pepper, add more if needed. Top with 2 T butter., a little paprika and cover with foil.

They can stay in a warm oven for a maximum of 1/2 hour while you finish other dishes. (Temp 180 max)

These are my famous mashed potatoes and I usually have to make double when my guys hear I'm making them...I never have left overs.

r.

• yknot
    yknot

Restrangled: Thank you I think he is going to love them!.......

• changeling
    changeling

Waiting for beks' recipes...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit