Menfolk....what should I cook?

by yknot 59 Replies latest jw friends

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

The original recipe called for pears (instead of strawberries) and candied walnuts (instead of pecans).

Hey! That's my salad. Mesclun mix, sliced pears, walnuts candied with cinnamon (and they must be homemade, none of that factory corn syrup crap here), dried cranberries, and crumbled bleu or feta. Balsamic vinaigrette.

If you change the salad at all, you will die at Armageddon.

I'll take my chances.

~Sue
  • Mary
    Mary
    heartbreaker said: Out of fear of dying at Armageddon, Heartbreaker will most certainly buy the cheese. Can you see how her faith and obeidiance is pleasing to her Creator?

Well done, good and faithful servant! After all, where else would you go away to? I have recipes of everlasting yumminess!

betterdaze foolishly bragged: I'll take my chances.

Oh wicked and unfaithful servant........For disobeying my instructions, I cast thee into the outer darkness. This is where you will weep and gnash your teeth for a time, times and half time. After that, you will eat Bethel food until you return to Kingdumb Hell from whence you came.

Damn, now I'm really hungry!

• snowbird
  • beksbks
    beksbks

HB, I am growing Cilantro successfully for the first time. It's in a filtered sun area. Of course it's not hot yet, but I did the same with Basil last year, and everything is beautiful and abundant. I think I need bigger pots!

Caedes, what is "Gammon steak"??

• beksbks
    beksbks

Changeling, here is the Won Ton Soup recipe. From Emeril with a few tweeks.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/wonton-soup-recipe/index.html

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon minced garlic (more garlic )
    • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
    • 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions, plus 3 tablespoons finely chopped (I added some very finely sliced leek)
    • 10 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
    • 1/2 pound ground pork (I used lean ground turkey and finely shredded Savoy Cabbage)
    • 1 egg yolk (I did not use the egg)
    • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
    • 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil (I had hot chili sesame oil)
    • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    • About 30 wonton wrappers, thawed if frozen
    • 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced bok choy (I love bok choy, the second time I made it with Savoy Cabbage. Almost as good, but bok choy is more flavorful, assuming you like that flavor)
    • 1/2 cup sliced shiitake mushroom caps
    • 1/4 cup sliced bamboo shoots (they were out of these the day I went to the store, but I think they would be a nice addition)
    • I added a bit of chopped Cilantro to both the broth, and the meat mixture. The second time I was in a hurry, and did not want to take the time to fill all the Won Tons, so I dropped spoonfuls of the meat mixture in to the broth to cook it (little meatballs), and then added some noodles. I think egg noodles, or Thai rice noodles would be best. Or actually, the wonton wraps sliced in half and very carefully added to the broth slowly to keep from clumping.
  • truthlover
    truthlover

Simple meal -- pan fry chicken breasts in chicken broth, , add onion, pepper -then salsa -depends on your heat level -I use medium, then add some maple syrup or honey, turn on med to low, cook til mix reduces to a gravy mixture...

Have some brown rice cooked using chicken broth, some pineapple juice and crushed pineapple and green onions... pour chicken mix over rice --serve hot ---and serve with side salad and white wine -- dessert, something simple -- cheesecake with raspberry sauce

Yummy!

TL

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Gumbo!

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

snowbird, what's

for?

~Sue

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

I think she was liking the lighthearted ribbing Mary was giving you and me. Am I close Sylvia?

(btt)

• yknot
    yknot

Tenyearsafter Haven't used the Wok in awhile, chinese would be refreshing! ...... hubby has been on a french food kick for the last two months (and I don't mean fries!-lolz).

Heartbreaker.....that salad sounds soooo goood!!!, taters sound delicious!

Caedes : Mrs and I are on the same page I love it with pineapple! Spaghetti bolognese-- Gosh I haven't made that in ages! Thanks for suggesting these!

Jook: ...... Thanks!!!!!! he loves surf/turf ....

Girlie: OMG I haven't had that since I was 10! YUMM YUMM YUMM

Finally-Free... That sounds wonderful.... Spinach is still coming up nicely too!

Cagefighter: Hearty meals, what marinade would you recommend?

Mary: pure luxury.......I am salvating at the thought!

Beks: YAY for the recipe!

Truthlover: so gonna make that next week!

Elsewhere: A man after my own heart!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit