I need to lose 20 pounds

by Heartbreaker 88 Replies latest jw friends

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Is 20lbs over weight REALLY such a big deal? I mean I understand hundreds of pounds overweight, and the health risks and mental and physical problems ect, .......but 20lbs?

There are some people that just look healthier when they have a little meat on 'em.

lisa

• ziddina
    ziddina

Aw, Lisa, that's sweet of you to say that... [sweet??? Watch out, my sweet tooth is on the rampage!!]

But the problem is, dear, sweet Lisa; that my 30 pounds AIN'T 'meat'!!!

It's BLUBBER.....

Which slows me down...

I'd LOVE to have 20 more pounds of muscle and bone!!! Instead of blubber!!!

Zid

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Is 20lbs over weight REALLY such a big deal? I mean I understand hundreds of pounds overweight, and the health risks and mental and physical problems ect, .......but 20lbs?

There are some people that just look healthier when they have a little meat on 'em.

It's not about what "looks healthier," but about actual health. For instance, you may have high blood pressure and 20 lbs may make the difference. In America 20 lbs overweight isn't a big deal because we are the fattest f***ing nation on the planet and like to feel better about ourselves, but pick up a 20 lb sack of potatoes and imagine that as pure lard wrapped around your stomach and thighs. Now does it seem healthier? Again, this isn't about image, but about actual health. Don't project your own insecurities on other people by encouraging them to stay unhealthy.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Another thing, Zid... the best thing is to build muscle at the same time as losing fat. That way you are building muscle that will in the end burn more calories. Any worthy exercise routine will involve a significant amount of weight and resistance training. I'd venture to say it's actually more important than cardio.

• lola28
    lola28

AGuest,

Yes, you can live with it, and yes it can be managed really well but why in gods name would anyone be ok with making do when they can avoid it simply by making changes to their lifestyle?

• AGuest
    AGuest
    why in gods name would anyone be ok with making do when they can avoid it simply by making changes to their lifestyle?

I think you may have missed the part where I said I am a Type I diabetic, dear lola (again, peace to you!). Nothing I can change, per my doctors. Except perhaps a pancrea transplant (but no one's offered that, yet, and not sure I would accept one if it were. Depends, you know?).

Also, I would have to ask that same question of, say:

smokers/tokers drinkers crackheads/cranksters/tweakers/sniffers... and other sundry "users" overeaters under-eaters anorexics bulimics vegetarians carnivores prostitutes johns religious leaders religous slaves polygamists monogamists homosexuals heterosexuals males females the childish the prudish and other "ones" who only need to change their lifestyle to fit others' paradigms of what is right... for them

Any one of these can simply "make changes to their lifestyles," and yet, don't. Right? I think a better questions are:

If someone is satisfied with themselves, why not simply cheer for them... and WITH them? And if someone ISN'T satisfied with themselves... why not offer the assistance they're asking for (and only IF they are indeed asking, as is the case here)... without having to insult them in the process?

Your way of living better? IMHO, that's your [not necessarily better or accurate] opinion. But stating it in the same manner as the WTBTS ("you're crap because you... look like, like, do, don't do, eat, don't eat, appear to be..." whathaveyou)... and from the same place ("I can day this because I... was like you but no more... was never like you... wouldn't be like you... etc.), is, to me, the EPITOME... of hypocrisy. The "reformed whore" syndrome ("I used to be a whore, but I'm not now, so now I can condemn all you current whores"...). Rather than the "I used to be a whore, so I know what you're going through and how hard it is for you... but you CAN do it... and even if you don't, I don't judge you but love you still... because that's what I would have wanted you to do for me" point of view. Unless she's going around recruiting more whores by lying to them; then, yeah, you may need to confront her. But for what she's DOING (misleading others down her path)... not what she IS.

Praise JAH... He goes by what's on the INSIDE... and not on the outside. And I understand that. Because many of the people I know, while not the easiest on the eyes on the outside... are MOST beautiful on the inside. At the same time I've known... and still know... some people who are VERY ugly, indeed hideous on the INSIDE... in spite of what the "outside" suggests.

Again, I hope you understand and, again, I wish you peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA, who doesn't judge books by their covers...

• ziddina
    ziddina

Yup, Daniel-P, and I'm working on it...

'CAuse, as I stated in another thread, I move faster and feel better when I'm down to 15% - 18% body fat...

But thanks for yer concern! Zid

• Scott77
    Scott77

Please, if you feel comfortable, post your whole picture to see how overweight you look like. I will not be suprised that some will see you as not as too overweight as you may think is.

Thanks

Scott77

• lola28
    lola28

A guest,

We can around and around in circles with this issue and you and I are never going to agree, tho I can and do see where you are coming from. I take issue with your flip attitude towards what is for millions of Americans a very serious illness. It’s not just a case of taking insulin shots but also all the medical issues that can arise from having diabetes (tho admittedly many people manage the disease well).

You have been dealing with this illness your whole life but lots of people let themselves go until they get a harsh wake up call, they either have a heart attack or suffer from other medical conditions that then require treatment, many shorten their lives because they were unwilling to make the necessary changes that would have led them to a longer life and less health problems.

In your previous post you used several examples of things that can cause discomfort but it’s not really a fair comparison, you don’t have to take a hike, you don’t have to run 5k, you don’t have to count calories but if you have a medical condition like diabetes you can’t ignore it.

You may want to turn this into a shallow conversation about judging people by their looks but it’s not what I’m doing, you are very lucky to have a job that offers health care and you were fortunate enough to receive a policy thru an insurance company, the sad truth is that in America you are an exception to the rule, millions go without health care, they can’t afford a doctors visit let alone medication to treat high blood pressure or insulin to treat their diabetes,

You make it seem like it’s such an easy thing to treat and it’s not, the complications from an illness like it could kill you and for a lot of families it can cripple them financially if daddy suddenly got too sick to work, It’s foolish to ignore all the financial and more importantly medical problems that you can end up with when you live your life in such an unhealthy way.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

The "reformed whore" syndrome ("I used to be a whore, but I'm not now, so now I can condemn all you current whores"...).

You keep using that term. I don't think you're using it in exactly the right way...you used it on me earlier (even though it could just as easily be applied to you based on a LOT of things you have said to me and others). You might not want to be so flip in throwing that around lest it come around to bite you.

Also, I would have to ask that same question of, say:

Your list contains people that both make a lifestyle choice and people that have zero control over certain things. It's not really a good fit for the point you are trying to make.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit